gastric band

Options
what are your thoughts on the gastric band? I have a consultation next month and im really nervous :-/

Replies

• abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Let me know how it goes. I'm interested in it. I just signed up for the package they mail you.....
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    i certainly will do. my app is in may. they say you need to go on a 6 month weight management course b4 hand
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Its kind of a two sided coin.

If you have a medical condition that prevents you from losing weight this may be the best option for you.

If you are otherwise healthy. Why would you want to have surgery? There could always be risks and complications. Usually, there is a deeper problem that got you to the weight you are at (yes, including me). Many times just talking to a therapist, a trainer, and a nuritionist would be a better option.

Losing weight is suppose to be hard... It is about changing your entire lifestyle....
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    mine is a medical condition, otherwise i would love to do it on my own and i have done in the past but im unable to now
  • NyxDominique
    NyxDominique Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Then with your permission I would like to add you as a friend to watch your progressing and decision.
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    Yeah course I will keep you informed
  • LiL_MisS_C
    LiL_MisS_C Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    My step mom had gastric bypass, and she's lost over 100 lbs in just over a year! Mind you, she is really strict about what she can and cannot eat tho.
  • AnneGenevieveS
    AnneGenevieveS Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help you get a huge huge jump start on your weight loss.

I know many people who have had bypass and bands. A little more than half have done really well because they have changed their eating and exercise habits and really made themselves healthier, not just skinnier. THey have done a great job.

Unfortunately, I know several people who have gone back to their old ways of eating, are sedentary, and did not make lifestyle changes with the surgery. They lost weight at first (100+ pounds!), BUT are now back to where they started before they ever had surgery.

The surgery can really help morbidly obese people who use it as a stepping stone to start them on their journey to health.
    There is a rigid diet at first, and you have to do what the doctor asks of you if you wish to succeed. If you don't, you will be ill, and end up like the girls I know who are at 300-400 pounds post-bypass - wondering why they went back to the same size again.

I know there will be people who say to do it with only diet and exercise -- and really in the end, diet and exercise are going to be the reasons you lose and STAY healthy with the band (or bypass). It will not be a miracle cure if you do not change your lifestyle, but if you use it to help you jump start your journey, then it can benefit you.

I say, talk it over with your doctor, and know that this is just a tool to help you, but ultimately, if it is going to stick for the long run, that is up to you.

Good Luck!!
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I've got a friend who had one as he couldn't lose weight any other way because of medical issues and apparently he's lost loads of weight (not actually seen him since, just spoken to him online). Sometimes diet and exercise alone simply aren't enough for whatever reason.

For me surgery would only be something I'd consider if everything else had failed. Some people seem to see it as a short cut to lose weight and think they can carry on eating whatever they want and will never get fat because of it though.
  • Mrskazzaw
    Options
    If nothing else has worked in the past then go for it I say.

By no means do I think it is a easy way of losing weight, it will change your whole life.

A friend of mine got offered the op, he is very morbidly obese and he refused it!!! Sadly he refused cause he knew if he lost weight and got healthy he would lose his benefits and free car......
  • realme56
    realme56 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    It can definitely help you get a huge huge jump start on your weight loss.

I know many people who have had bypass and bands. A little more than half have done really well because they have changed their eating and exercise habits and really made themselves healthier, not just skinnier. THey have done a great job.

Unfortunately, I know several people who have gone back to their old ways of eating, are sedentary, and did not make lifestyle changes with the surgery. They lost weight at first (100+ pounds!), BUT are now back to where they started before they ever had surgery.

The surgery can really help morbidly obese people who use it as a stepping stone to start them on their journey to health.
    There is a rigid diet at first, and you have to do what the doctor asks of you if you wish to succeed. If you don't, you will be ill, and end up like the girls I know who are at 300-400 pounds post-bypass - wondering why they went back to the same size again.

I know there will be people who say to do it with only diet and exercise -- and really in the end, diet and exercise are going to be the reasons you lose and STAY healthy with the band (or bypass). It will not be a miracle cure if you do not change your lifestyle, but if you use it to help you jump start your journey, then it can benefit you.

I say, talk it over with your doctor, and know that this is just a tool to help you, but ultimately, if it is going to stick for the long run, that is up to you.

Good Luck!!

Very well said. As psych nurse I see so many people who have had the bypass or lap band but have not been successful in keeping weight off or have substituted their food addiction with another one (often the post op narcotics).
    Participate in all the testing and aftercare they offer if you go this route, it will help you immensely.
  • xxhannahmburkexx
    Options
    thankyou all. your comments have really helped alot. if I do get accepted for it im definatly going to go for it!!!! i promise to make sure that i keep my progress updated on here if i do x
  • terrt
    terrt Posts: 16
    Options
    Me personally wouldn't do it. But I have a sister where it would be good. She is in such bad health and can't exercise. Major steropids that keep her eating/gaining weight. To me, I think they are too dangerous..but were I her, I'd be tempted.
  • kjb0976
    kjb0976 Posts: 68
    Options
    The band works if you follow the program. I had it done in 2007 and lost a ton of weight. Now the health issues are gone! However, if you don't change your lifestyle, the band won't be successful. It is simply a tool.

Their are drawbacks to the band. I had to have Emergency Surgery to have it removed as my stomach flipped and I had a blockage. Listen to your body if you have any weight loss surgery. Be sure to drink enough water and eat enough so you are not nutritionally starved. It is easy to get caught up in losing the weight that you don't want to eat enough or can't eat enough as your band is so tight that you are really starving yourself.

If you want more pros/cons of the band.. let me know. I know first hand!

Good Luck!!
  • abaker768
    abaker768 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    My weight has been high, but never this high. I was on the depo shot for over a year and put 100+ pounds on and now can't get it off. I now have diabetes, thyroid issues, depression and anxiety issues cause from my weight, terrible self-esteem, and infertility. I now have two children, but it took awhile and heartache. I'm scared as hell about it, but I'm really interested it.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    A year ago I was set that this was the solution for me. Went in to see my doctor and she told me I had to prove to the insurance I could eat healthier for 6 months or else they would not pay. At that point, I said forget it! I can do this on my own! a year later, I am down 64 lbs. So glad they told me about not being able to do it til after 6 months, otherwise I would have done this
  • shellybra
    shellybra Posts: 21
    Options
    If nothing else has worked in the past then go for it I say.

By no means do I think it is a easy way of losing weight, it will change your whole life.

A friend of mine got offered the op, he is very morbidly obese and he refused it!!! Sadly he refused cause he knew if he lost weight and got healthy he would lose his benefits and free car......

My god is this serious? So he'll lose his benefits and a car, but he'll more than likely die at a young age because of his weight. Where do you live, do you seriously get benefits and cars for been over weight? Sounds mad to me, but hey i'm sure it will be given to someone that wants it.
    I agree with you, when you say it will change your whole life, i think anyone that is about to do surgery has to accept that.

Good luck with your decision, wishing you all the best