Weird question about logging DRINKS

kirstinkrueger
kirstinkrueger Posts: 346
edited September 26 in Food and Nutrition
I drink a lot of water (around 15cups a day) and am pretty anal about it, I am part camel, it happens, but sometimes I need something extra, I normally buy Powerade Zero, but lately it hasn't been easy to find so I started drinking Powerade when I want more than water. I log it under DRINKS since there are calories and sugar (one powerade puts me over for the day i hate that) ANYWAY my question is...

I log the powerade under drinks BUT do I also log it as water intake? Your thoughts, ready go :)

**edit:: I get migraines so the electrolytes are needed for me. I do not drink anything carbonated or caffeinated**

ALSO:: Powerade zero IS water with added flavor and electrolytes and nothing else, but powerade has more in it. SO would powerade ZERO be water? Hmmmmm

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    No, I would just log it under 'drinks' as what it is.
  • louiseei
    louiseei Posts: 254 Member
    The only things I add to my water are water, soda water and herbal tea, anything else I don't add, just log the calories.
  • godroxmysox
    godroxmysox Posts: 1,491 Member
    I do the crystal light lemonades and fruit punch...5 calories a serving and no sugar (very little sodium). I think it is pretty much flavored water, so I do count it as such. Not sure about Powerade though; if it's high in sugar, I wouldn't count it as water
  • merrillfoster
    merrillfoster Posts: 855 Member
    Yup, water is water, so as long as it doesn't contain caffeine or booze, I log it. The fact that there's sugar in it doesn't take away from the water in it!
  • jcott28
    jcott28 Posts: 16
    I do the crystal light lemonades and fruit punch...5 calories a serving and no sugar (very little sodium). I think it is pretty much flavored water, so I do count it as such. Not sure about Powerade though; if it's high in sugar, I wouldn't count it as water

I'm the same. Crystal Light is awesome.
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    I am bad with drinks, as I dont like water.

I have added a seperate thing to my food list, so that my food list reads

Breakfast
    Lunch
    Dinner
    Snacks
    Drinks

And I log all my drinks! It has been great, as I see them all seperately, and it counts up how many calories you use just on drink. I now have mine right down, as I used to (on occasion only) waste like 200 calories on a cheery coke or something!
  • fitnessjch
    fitnessjch Posts: 449 Member
    PS I dont also log it as water (unless I drink squash)
  • MrsSorenson
    MrsSorenson Posts: 450 Member
    If it has calories or is carbonated, I would log under drinks, not toward your water.
  • I do the crystal light lemonades and fruit punch...5 calories a serving and no sugar (very little sodium). I think it is pretty much flavored water, so I do count it as such. Not sure about Powerade though; if it's high in sugar, I wouldn't count it as water

I'm the same. Crystal Light is awesome.

There is a store here called Roses, they have crystal light type stuff for $1 a box, no cals or anything and it has so much more flavor haha i love it, i live on crystal light, and MIO! YUM! but I get migraines so the electrolytes are needed for me. I do not drink anything carbonated or caffeinated.
  • If it has calories or is carbonated, I would log under drinks, not toward your water.

Yeah thats what i have been doing, but my husband was arguing with me last night so I had to ask, cause powerade zero IS water with added flavor and electrolytes, but powerade has more in it. SO would powerade ZERO be water? Hmmmmm
  • godroxmysox
    If it has calories or is carbonated, I would log under drinks, not toward your water.

Yeah thats what i have been doing, but my husband was arguing with me last night so I had to ask, cause powerade zero IS water with added flavor and electrolytes, but powerade has more in it. SO would powerade ZERO be water? Hmmmmm

I think I would log powerade zero as water....but it's really up to you =)
  • UPDATE::
    Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. from the Mayo Clinic States that cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine only has a diuretic effect if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (or 4 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

SportsMD and American Journal of Clinical Nutrition say Beverages that count toward daily water intake are regular water, fitness waters, sport beverages, club soda, mineral water, and flavored water.

But lots of other sites say to that it may HYDRATE you but to only count drinks with no carbonation, sugar, or caffeine as water
    So am I right to say Powerade doesnt count but Powerade zero does?
  • NAMsMommy
    NAMsMommy Posts: 132 Member
    I think it is a personal preference. I do like the idea of having a "drinks" section so I can add what I am drinking. I add Mio to my water, and count that. Zero sugar, zero calories, no caffeine and LOTS of flavor =) I might do that.

As for my personal preference, I would log it, just so its in there, but I would also count it as "water" since it doesn't have sugar, caffeine or calories.
  • I think it is a personal preference. I do like the idea of having a "drinks" section so I can add what I am drinking. I add Mio to my water, and count that. Zero sugar, zero calories, no caffeine and LOTS of flavor =) I might do that.

As for my personal preference, I would log it, just so its in there, but I would also count it as "water" since it doesn't have sugar, caffeine or calories.

yeah if i add flavor to my water i put the flavoring under drinks and add the water amount to water, but its the powerade im not sure about ha
  • godroxmysox
    UPDATE::
    Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D. from the Mayo Clinic States that cola and coffee drinks hydrate you as well as water does

It is true. Researchers used to believe that caffeinated drinks had a diuretic effect. This means that you would urinate more after drinking them, which could increase your risk of becoming dehydrated. Recent research shows that this is not true and that caffeine only has a diuretic effect if you consume large amounts of it — more than 500 to 600 milligrams (or 4 to 7 cups of coffee) a day.

SportsMD and American Journal of Clinical Nutrition say Beverages that count toward daily water intake are regular water, fitness waters, sport beverages, club soda, mineral water, and flavored water.

But lots of other sites say to that it may HYDRATE you but to only count drinks with no carbonation, sugar, or caffeine as water

Hmm....that's really interesting. If all this info is accurate, I would definitely say both would count as water =)
  • UPDATE::

Hmm....that's really interesting. If all this info is accurate, I would definitely say both would count as water =)

that is what i said, it was hard looking stuff up cause the info before and after studies in like 02 are different, i guess they redid them in 02-ish, idk its a curiosity thing
This discussion has been closed.