Why do I do this & am I the only one??

Options
For as long as I can remember I've been a midnight "grazer". I will get up in the middle of the night, go straight to the kitchen & eat. Sometimes I'm aware of it, other times I've "woken up" eating. One time, on the morning after Halloween, I woke with wrappers in my bed but no memory of getting up, much less eating anything. When I first started MFP, I began keeping a bottle of water next to my bed and being aware of THAT I found myself in a MUCH different routine...I didn't get up nearly as often, in fact for the first month or so I NEVER got out of bed in the middle of the night~I simply reached for the water & went back to sleep.

Over the last 2 months I find myself in the kitchen again. And I hate myself for it. A lot of things have changed, my stressors have evolved & my pressures are greater & my depression is back. And in my case, when I get depressed I have urges to self harm. I've been a cutter for a long time, however after getting some much needed help, I haven't cut in a little over a year. But since I've begun eating in the middle of the night again, those thoughts are trickling back in. I'm not proud of it, or looking for sympathy...I'm being completely honest, in the words of Dr. Phil, "You can't change what you don't acknowledge". And I'm so here to change, even if that means baring my ugly truths to complete strangers.

On top of that, I can't always remember what I ate & therefore I haven't been logging it. Maybe that's my way of denial, but here I am, putting myself on MFP blast and taking responsibility. The other weird thing is, even tho I've been doing that...it hasn't really made a difference in a negative way on the scale, at least not sending my weight flying back up. Still the flip side to that is it's not helping me bring the #'s down any faster. In any event, I am here throwing myself onto the mercy of this wonderful site & all it's fantastic members to help me figure it out.

I haven't done any online "research" b/c until actually sitting down & writing this, well I haven't really accepted it or its implications on my overall health. So I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else eat in the middle of the night? How do YOU cope with this behavior? How did YOU make better & positive changes? I really want to kick this bad habit & find myself on the bright side of life, not ashamed or wanting to do dark things to myself for being a failure. I'd appreciate any positive feedback, thank you.

Replies

• angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I do not have that problem...but I hope there is someone out there who can help you or give you some insight on what might be going on!! Best of luck to you!!!
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    bump
  • AMYJ7
    AMYJ7 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I cannot say I am in the same position you are but we are all struggling with our own "night time" binges whether it be in the daylight or late at night. I have lost 20 pounds and now am feeling myself slipping back into my "bad habits". I will be more than happy to help you through your daily struggles but all I can do is keep encouragining you to do the right thing and in the end you will be proud of yourself.

Keep your head up YOU ARE WORTH IT!!

Amy
  • wannabefree
    wannabefree Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Although I don't do the behavior in which you described, I am overweight and do a lot of mindless eating while watching t.v., etc., and not even realizing how much I have eaten. Then I feel horrible and ashamed of myself. Especially since I have kids who are learning that this is what's "normal". I have stopped but I have to constantly remind myself not to eat. I am here for you if you ever want to vent so friend me!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,797 Member
    Options
    maybe since you are unknowingly eating, you are also unknowingly working out too ;) LoL..in all seriousness, maybe you could get a couple of baby gates, or a lock on the fridge making it harder for you to navigate in sleep..i have never heard of this, but i wish you the best of luck, and hope you find an answer to help you
  • Jennjenn1974
    Jennjenn1974 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Hello! I had a roommate that had this issue. She would literally "sleep eat". There were quite a few times when I woke up from hearing her munching away in the kitchen. She eventually resorted to locking the cabinets and fridge. She gave me the key. She also started counselling to help her deal with her personal issues.

As extreme as this might sound, you may want to consider these options. There are obviously some underlying issues that you may not even be aware of, and this is your body and mind's way of handling it.

I very much hope you find the peace you are seeking.

Take care :)
  • widgitwoo
    widgitwoo Posts: 19
    Options
    Hi,
    I dont do the midnight eating thing but I do the eating without realising I am until after and I hate it.
    I also used to be a self harmer which used to be a huge thing within my dieting when I was 17 and I used to punish myself by cutting myself - along with other reasons.
    I havent cut properly for about 3 - 4 years and only once in that time when I was doing my dissertation at uni.
    Hope you can stay off doing it and if you want anyone to chat to give me a shout :)
  • JPod279
    JPod279 Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    You may want to try putting some kind of lock on the fridge so that you have to be somewhat coherent to open it. Second, you may want to try to drink a glass of milk instead of eating. For me, a small cup of milk will help me if I wake up in the night and I am hungry.
  • Niceven
    Niceven Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I'm aware of it, other times I've "woken up" eating. One time, on the morning after Halloween, I woke with wrappers in my bed but no memory of getting up, much less eating anything.

A lot of things have changed, my stressors have evolved & my pressures are greater & my depression is back. And in my case, when I get depressed I have urges to self harm. I've been a cutter for a long time, however after getting some much needed help, I haven't cut in a little over a year. But since I've begun eating in the middle of the night again, those thoughts are trickling back in. I'm not proud of it, or looking for sympathy...I'm being completely honest, in the words of Dr. Phil, "You can't change what you don't acknowledge". And I'm so here to change, even if that means baring my ugly truths to complete strangers.

On top of that, I can't always remember what I ate & therefore I haven't been logging it. Maybe that's my way of denial, but here I am, putting myself on MFP blast and taking responsibility. The other weird thing is, even tho I've been doing that...it hasn't really made a difference in a negative way on the scale, at least not sending my weight flying back up. Still the flip side to that is it's not helping me bring the #'s down any faster. In any event, I am here throwing myself onto the mercy of this wonderful site & all it's fantastic members to help me figure it out.

I haven't done any online "research" b/c until actually sitting down & writing this, well I haven't really accepted it or its implications on my overall health. So I guess what I'm asking is, does anyone else eat in the middle of the night? How do YOU cope with this behavior? How did YOU make better & positive changes? I really want to kick this bad habit & find myself on the bright side of life, not ashamed or wanting to do dark things to myself for being a failure. I'd appreciate any positive feedback, thank you.

First question: are you on a sleeping aid? Ambien especially can do that to you. Otherwise have you talked to your doctor about it? I know it's hard, it was really hard for me to talk to my doctor just about starting an excercise regime.

Get therapy, I don't mean psychologist kind of therapy, I mean support system therapy. Start small though, have family night or just talk to someone. The first thing they say in a weight loss journey is build a support system. That's why these forums are so great.

To answer your original question, no, you're not the only one who midnight grazes. I'd wager that it's a stress issue, especially if you can't remember doing it or even what you ate through the day. It could be denial, yes. I've been known to block things from my memory because I didn't want to remember that I overindulged.

When do you fill out the journal here at MFP? I make a point (most days) to log on several times a day once I've eaten. Or I jot down notes in a small notebook I keep in my bohemuth of a purse.

As usual, I'm not an expert, just someone who's tried and failed at almost everything. You have to fail sometimes so you can learn and succeed next time.

Cheers!
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I looked it up and there is such thing as what you are discribing has to do with depression and things like that.. Might be something you want to talk to a dr. about... It's called Night Eating Syndrome

Treatment:
    Night eating disorder tends to lead to weight gain; as many as 28% of those seeking gastric bypass surgery were found to suffer from NES in one study.[13] The disorder is accompanied by what sufferers describe as an uncontrollable desire to eat, akin to addiction, and is often treated chemically.

The selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, Sertraline (or Zoloft) has shown some ability to help NES sufferers[14].

Therapy to increase the natural nocturnal rise in melatonin, reduce the body's adrenal stress response and raise leptin levels or improve leptin sensitivity are options that may help these patients overcome the disorder. Another key may involve the availability of tryptophan, an important amino acid, in the body. More than 70% of the nighttime eating to combat anxiety involved binging on carbohydrates. These foods are believed to increase the amount of tryptophan available for conversion to serotonin, the calming neurotransmitter in the brain that promotes an overall sense of well-being and, in turn, converts to melatonin.[citation needed]
  • lstadler29
    Options
    Hi! I have heard of this happening with some of my family members because of a sleep aid they take. Not sure if you are taking sleep aids but sometimes that can cause you to do crazy things in the middle of the night. Perhaps it would be a good idea to check with your doctor because if you are taking any kind of medication this might be the side effect it's having on you.

My husband suffers from insomnia from time to time and he is always snacking in the middle of the night as well. It can be very frustrating for him. Perhaps there is something going on in your personal life that you are reflecting on subconciously that is causing the return of your "midnight snack runs" something to think about and look into.

I suffer from depression as well and know how hard it can be to cope with once your in the bad cycle! I truly hope that you can find some answers. It sounds like you are on the right path as you know what the "triggers" are you just need to get a handle on them again. You know you can do it because you've done it before! Good Luck! Feel free to friend me and chat anytime you need to talk! Good Luck!
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    From reading what you've written it seems that your night binges are a result of something much more deeper. I believe with some type of counseling to help you cope with your stress & depression you might see better results in that area. I definitely feel you need some mental relief.

I wish you the best.
  • Anne1000
    Anne1000 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I think you are very courageous to talk about this -- so that is very very positive. I cannot explain your behavior but it seems to be a version of "sleepwalking." Most of use have issues that come out in dreams and night behavior, are you journaling how you feel or what you remember when you wake up? Try keeping a pen and pencil by your bed. I would see a professional who can guide you. As for eating, I am a night eater - it started with an ulcer; I fed my ulcer to stop the pain. Once I counted the calories of my midnight snacks I was was horrified. Am getting much better. Warm wishes. Let us know how you are doing.
  • jsteras
    jsteras Posts: 344 Member
    Options
    I myself don't suffer from this but my very dearest friend in the world does have the night time eating. She sleep walks and eats, she has gone as far as to get up in the middle of the night and flour her pot holders and had them in a skillet frying them when her husband got up, Thank god. There are tons more horrifying stories of hers I could tell you. She won't listen to me or her family and tell her doctor about the things she does, I am constantly worried that she will burn the house down in one of her sleeping episodes, please talk to your doctor and get help for this. You are doing wonderful with the not cutting, don't resort back to it. My heart goes out to you.
  • lil_missfit
    lil_missfit Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    I to some degree had this problem. The only thing is I would already have the things I planned to eat by my bed. I would eat them before I went to sleep and I can remember being for the most part sleep but grabbing something off my night stand putting it in my mouth and chewing while sleep.

This what I have done: I drink sleepy time tea, I drink most night two bags and have gone as high as four so I will stay sleep. I use Truvia for a sweetner.

I have had and sometimes currently have problems with depression as well. I was extremely suicidal and I was symptomatic of being bi-polar. I was in school at the time (to be of all things a therapist) and had to study the DSM-IV. I found myself recognizing myself in my own case studies. Freaked me out!! I end up having a nervous breakdown at 27, almost 5 years ago. I truely feel that my faith in Jesus helped me with that. I am not trying to push my faith in Him on you, I am simply just letting you know what I did and currently do. I pray ALL the time. I am assuming other people may get in a quiet place an meditate as well. If that is not something you are interested in, perhaps you can try counseling if you haven't already. Therapy is not a bad thing and will be very helpful.

I also have began to set clear, reasonable boundaries with friends and family and myself. Sometimes when we try to be EVERYTHING to EVERYONE ---ALL the time....it takes a toll on our mental status. Another thing is make sure you are exercising and eating right. Some of the foods we eat may cause us to be depressed alot. Be careful with that. When I don't workout or eat crappy, I feel myself falling back in the depression hole. Be careful:)) Don't beat yourself up. We all have bad days. You're beautiful and a true champion for opening up and reaching out for help.
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Thanks Peanutbutter for sharing your story. That must have been difficult to share.

My son was a sleep walker. His physician at first said to make him tired. Sounds silly, but a tired body will sleep better than a not so tired body. On days he had football, he did sleep better than on days he did not. The first time I noticed there was a problem I caught him trying to pee on his sister while she was in bed. I found him in the kitchen when he was little, probably about 4, turning on the stove trying to cook an egg.

We found out he had sleep apnea (you stop breathing while you sleep) when he was 7 he had his tonsils and adenoids removed. They were found to be 3 times the normal size they should have been. He will be 13 in May and we still have sleep walking issues.

You may want to do a sleep study to see if there are neurological issues that are causing this trouble. With the sleep study they will also check for apnea.

I know about depression. Lack of sleep makes depression worse, and depression makes it hard to sleep. If you could find someone to talk to about the cutting issues. Maybe someone at your church, or a professional if you can afford it. I will keep you in my prayers.

Good luck!!!:heart:
  • wagn27
    wagn27 Posts: 65
    Options
    Do you take medications? Drugs like Mirapex and Ambien can cause that as a side effect.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    saving this for later reading...I always want to eat something RIGHT before I go to sleep...
  • jennfer71
    jennfer71 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • peanutbutterpanic
    peanutbutterpanic Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for taking the time to read my post, I have debated opening up about it for awhile and you guys didn't let me down, not that I had any doubts. To answer the question about sleep aids, no I don't take any prescribed medications. I do agree that when my stress factors change or increase I seem to do it more. Now that I've put it out there I feel sooo much better, and I'm going to take little steps to get myself on track. It makes me nervous to think about throwing myself into something I don't quite understand, so little steps at first with my eye on the bigger picture. I can tell you all that just from reading what you wrote I don't feel quite so alone or as ashamed as when I my finger hovered over the "post" button unsure whether share it or not. Thank you all again.