Wanna get under 200 lbs?

Replies

• BombolinaM
    BombolinaM Posts: 561 Member
    Great to see everybody that responded. So many of you are so close to the goal of weighing under 200. Way to go!

Any tips to help us all along? If you have before and after photos please post them. I always find that motivating. I hope everyone is having a successful day :smile:
  • duckpond11
    duckpond11 Posts: 197 Member
    I have a confession - I am not exercising at all. I just started yesterday and was hoping to gradually start adding exercise as I go. When I got under 200 before though I used to exercise 3 or 4 days a week. I've had a hard time lately figuring out how to fit it into my schedule between work and my toddler.
  • Pheef52
    Pheef52 Posts: 254 Member
    Getting under 200 has been a goal of mine for about 10 years now. Yes, 10 years. 7 years ago I got to 207 and I was SOO excited because i could taste it. Then I let the troubles in my life derail me and I have not been able to get a handle on it again. But I know I almost did it once and I am confident I can do it again!

I know some of you have been using "Insanity"- has that been working for you? I know I need to kick up my cardio, and I am guessing that would be a phenomenal way to do it. (Even knowing how hard it will be in the beginning and how much "marching in place" I may end up doing).

Insanity is definitely a calorie burning workout you will be dripping in sweat. Another one that a lot of people like if you don't want to start with Insanity is Turbo Fire. I plan on actually putting them together as a hybrid when I finish my second month of Insanity!! I am excited! :bigsmile:
  • Pheef52
    I have a confession - I am not exercising at all. I just started yesterday and was hoping to gradually start adding exercise as I go. When I got under 200 before though I used to exercise 3 or 4 days a week. I've had a hard time lately figuring out how to fit it into my schedule between work and my toddler.

Incorporate you kid into your workout schedule. My 2 year old loves to run around and do Insanity with me when I am working out at home (thats if I work out while she is awake) and I don't hesitate to throw her in the jogging stroller to run to the park or something when it is nice outside.
  • your on girl...... I am fairly new at this ... so I need alot of support!!
    I joined around 3 weeks ago... I am down 10 lbs... BUT I'm xercsing my butt off...
    you would think the lbs would MELT OFF...

Whats your plan and goals??????

Same here.. new to this thing but i am so down. i really want to get under 200 butit is so hard.
  • Great thread. My goal is to be in Onerland before the end of September. Feel free to add me as a friend. We could all use some support on this journey! :smile:
  • I have 40 pounds to lose - it seems like so much weight (IT IS!!!), some of you have more, some less. I was down to 205 two years ago and then the holidays happened, and then I tore some muscles and couldn't hardly walk -

Exercise is key for me - too old and too low aresting pulse - if I don't exercise my body just adjusts to whatever I take in and I don't lose weight. I have degenerative discs in my neck and back and arthritus, plus my knees and hips aren't happy carrying all this weight. I'm thinking about a Zumba class but am a bit hesitant. I have to be careful, but it looks like it's definitely an "at your own pace" kind of exercise.

Walking is my favorite - but I have to do it slow and easy, so it takes time.
  • Pheef52
    I have 40 pounds to lose - it seems like so much weight (IT IS!!!), some of you have more, some less. I was down to 205 two years ago and then the holidays happened, and then I tore some muscles and couldn't hardly walk -

Exercise is key for me - too old and too low aresting pulse - if I don't exercise my body just adjusts to whatever I take in and I don't lose weight. I have degenerative discs in my neck and back and arthritus, plus my knees and hips aren't happy carrying all this weight. I'm thinking about a Zumba class but am a bit hesitant. I have to be careful, but it looks like it's definitely an "at your own pace" kind of exercise.

Walking is my favorite - but I have to do it slow and easy, so it takes time.

Poppy have you tried water aerobics or something like that. I am not sure how old you are but water reduces impact on your joints so it should help with the disc problems and the back knee and hip issues. It provides a ton of resistance so it makes for a really good workout especially if you swim some laps before or afterwards too.
  • ktc33
    ktc33 Posts: 249 Member
    Well, I was all bummed because it seemed as though I had gained six pounds due to my "healthy eating leave of absence" last week. Well when I got on the scale this morning I had lost 3 pounds since yesterday morning. Even though I'm still not happy that I gained back a few pounds, at least it is not as much as I thought. I hope everyone else is doing well in their weight loss journey.
  • patty9013
    patty9013 Posts: 230 Member
    That is my goal too. I want to be under 200 by my sons high school on May 28th. I would actually like to be closer to 195!!
    Good luck to everyone
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    I want to do it! I'm currently at 240 - my target goal is 130
  • anewpath
    anewpath Posts: 200
    Tip: Use a pedometer and aim for 10,000 daily, not including exercise. I'm working with a trainer who said that 70,000 steps in a week is 35 miles. On average we burn about 100 calories walking a mile. There are 3,500 calories in a pound of fat. He said if you get the 70,000 weekly its 15 pounds a year. It may not sound like much but his point in increasing steps is to get an active life style. It takes work, I've only been able to do it 3 times so far. You have to get creative in your daily routine. I exceeded that today with just over 11,000 steps. I also did 40 minutes of cardio, 5 mins. warm up, 30 mins. intervals, and 5 minutes of cool down. I also recommend a heart rate monitor, it helps to accurately log the calories you expend when walking or exercising. I use a Polar FT7 and love it!!

Good luck!!!
  • ukjessi
    ukjessi Posts: 169 Member
    Tip: Use a pedometer and aim for 10,000 daily, not including exercise. Good luck!!!

That's one of the things I've been trying to do and boy is it difficult! I average 2100 steps per mile which means I need to walk 5 miles a day to hit 10,000 steps! I've done it a handful of times, but I'm working on making it a routine. :)
  • Good Morning everyone! My tip would be to watch how much sodium you consume in a day as it causes water retention. This site recommends no more than 2500 mg a day. I have a hard time with this. I have to stay on top of what I eat and some days I do go over. Make sure you drink your water also is my other tip. Well, I will be back later.
  • anewpath
    HI and welcome....

I too am fairly new and have obstacles..... in a nutshell, my husband, again, is diagnosed with cancer this time stage IV and is on chemotherapy!
    He has had a major surgery done in Calgary, about 3 months ago, which didn't go as planned.. oh well. he is an amazing person and
    he has an amazing attitude and he again is going to beat this disease. It is soooo hard on me, I try and not show this to him after all it is him fighting for his life and what is my pity excuse. So there i go being strong for him and our two children ages 15 1/2 and 14....
    so the last little while guess what....i joined the gym!!! and its amazing how I get energy and the strength to deal with this. but I stil;l get depressed and I resort to food.. so any advice you have for me I will gladly take..

Lets do this together :)

I have much respect for you taking on such a challenge and being there for your family, I can only imagine how difficult it must be. I think the depression is understandable. My suggestion would be that instead of eating you just go for a walk to clear your mind. The gym is therapy for me, you can sweat until you dehydrate and get out all your fears and anger at the world. Try to think of it this way, getting you healthy makes you more able to be there for your family. You will have more energy to take on the extra tasks that your husband is unable to do at this time.

You can do this, hang in there!!!
  • anewpath
    Tip for MFP newbies: If you haven't noticed yet or been told by others, keep in mind that alot of the foods in the database were entered by other members and may not be right. If you have the label enter the info into your foods so that when you reuse it you know it will be accurate. You will also be given the option to enter the food into the database but please only do that if the info you have is accurate. I have a droid phone that allows me to scan the barcode on food which is REALLY handy!!! This website is a great tool for keeping up with what you consume and it lets you track different things such as sodium, fat, protein, fiber. There are a lot of helpful tools and things to learn from others on here but I would suggest limiting yourself on message board time. When I started this website I spent too much time going through all the boards and wasn't moving enough. So just pace yourself with the message boards.

Good Luck!!!
  • BombolinaM
    thats one of my goals for this year is get under 200 pounds. at my highest i was 340. now im at 231. i want to be 200 or under by thanksgiving. i dont see my family that often , and want to walk in at thanksgiving feeling good.

feel free for anyone to add me, i need all the motivation and support i can get. well off to exercise before work tonight.

Congratulations on what you've lost so far! Together we can all support each other to get under 200.. You're so close!! You can do it!
  • BombolinaM

Start with baby steps. Take your toddler for a walk after work or dinner. Even if it's just for 30 mins. It's a start. You can do it :)
  • deandera
    deandera Posts: 15
    Under 200 is my first goal as well. 14lb to go, need all the motivation that I can get. Please add me for support!
  • jtodacheeny
    jtodacheeny Posts: 181 Member
    Hi!! My name is Laura. I currently weight 301.0. Can I still join this group? My goal is to get under 200 pounds and then my final goal is to be 115 pounds. I am very short. Standing at only 5' 1 1/2" tall so this goal weight would put me at a healthy BMI,

YES YES YES!!! Anyone can join and we will all support one another, no matter how close or far that "onderland" is for us!!
This discussion has been closed.