Anyone Doing Bikram Hot Yoga?

Options
I've been practicing for 3 weeks now and am not sure how many calories I'm actually burning. There's nothing in the database, and I've see ranges for a 90 minute session everywhere from 500 - 1200 while searching on the internet. Anyone have any suggestions on what number I should use?!

Replies

• xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    There's a lot of debate on this topic. I wore my HRM to my class last night and it said I burned 737 calories. I kept an eye on my heart rate, and was pleased to see I was "in the zone" pretty much the entire class.

People will say it's yoga and you rest a lot, so it's not as much of a burn. But Bikram Yoga is more like cardio and strength circuits than traditional yoga.
  • vaavamom1
    vaavamom1 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    i do suryanamaskar 40 rounds.... each round burns 13.9cals so that makes it 556 cals burned for me.i sweat a lot too...
  • JesaGrace
    JesaGrace Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    What about it is different from yoga....what keeps the heartrate so high to burn so many calories?
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I just use 600 calories as a rule of thumb. I'm sure that some days I burn more and other days I burn less.
  • xaintes
    xaintes Posts: 129
    Options
    What about it is different from yoga....what keeps the heartrate so high to burn so many calories?

I know what major difference is that static postures are held (as you push yourself deeper into the posture) which elevates heartrate since holding steady is harder than moving in and out of a posture.
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options

Between the heat in the room and the specific series of postures you do it keeps your heartrate going -- Bikram was actually on the Today Show yesterday, here's the link to the video: http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/26184891/vp/42763279#42763279