bariatric surgery

Options
Has anyone out there had bariatric surgery?? Whqat are your thoughts, experiences, issues, adivce?

Please don't respond if you have never had baratric surgery... I am not looking for people to tell me why they are against it. I have medical complications that are pushing forward to having surgery. So with that said, I am not looking for the quick fix to loose weight, I am medically in need.

Replies

• losermomof3
    losermomof3 Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Dr. Oz did a show on this. This one girl showed her food for the day and I believe it was a few months after the surgery. She eats 5 tablespoons of yogurt for breakfast, 1/2 cup of broth for lunch, and 5 spoonfulls of chocolate pudding. I am not sure if she drinks protein drinks also...cuz I know some people do. Though..she said she wouldnt trade it in for the world. She loves having done the surgery. They also said that they have started doing the surgery on people who are only 30lbs over weight. I personally, am not even going to consider it. I love food!!!! I love crunching!!! LOL!!!
  • chovest81
    chovest81 Posts: 99
    Options
    I have not had bariatric surgery but i work in a family practice office and i have seen ALOT of problems. Even if your surgery is successful you have life long struggles because your body can not absorb necessary nutrients. There are alot of complications involved short term and long term.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    I've never considerer it for myself despite meeting all the criteria (300+lbs + weight related health complications). For one I didn't feel that the risks were high enough to outweigh the benefits. For another I felt that if I didn't have the time to learn how to eat properly that I would never be able to maintain it on my own.

Primarily though, I was not willing to give up eating with my family and having the opportunity to model healthy eating behaviour to my young girls. The idea of having nothing but a few tablespoons of food at Christmas or Easter is just not appealing to me.

I also figured losing weight that fast was not best for my body, my skin or my psyche but I certainly don't begrudge anyone who decides to go that route. Do what works for you.

I have to say tho, reading this blog http://www.mycrazyweightlossjourney.com/ only reinforced my decision not to have it done.
  • merimeaux
    merimeaux Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I have not had bariatric surgery but i work in a family practice office and i have seen ALOT of problems. Even if your surgery is successful you have life long struggles because your body can not absorb necessary nutrients. There are alot of complications involved short term and long term.

Completely agreed. Too many people think it's a quick fix!
  • Steph70508
    Steph70508 Posts: 110
    Options
    My aunt had Roux-en-y gastric bypass about 7 years ago. She lost 145 pounds over the course of the first year. The next year she had a circumferetial body lift, breast lift, and brachioplasty. Currently she weighs more that she did before her surgery. She ate small frequent high calorie foods until she slowly, but surely gained. She believes (and others that were in her online support group) that if you do not confront the "demons" that caused you to eat and gain the weight in the first place that you will gain the weight back.
    I just personally don't believe its a good idea. There are way too many people who have lost weight with diet and exercise alone! :)
  • Mustangsally1000
    Mustangsally1000 Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I have not had the surgery, but I have 3 friends who have. 3 different experiences. But, all three have a lot of the same issues. Kidney stones seem to be a very common side affect..one friend had to have them removed via surgery on her kidneys..resulting
    in bloodclots in her lungs. Now has bad breathing problems, will be on blood thinners for a long time. They also do not address
    what caused the eating problems to begin with..those same problems are still there. What I see in my friends would scare me half
    to death. They drink a lot of protien shakes, eat protien bars, and basically can no longer enjoy food. Or, they do, and then
    throw up everything...still. I see nothing to recommend this surgery. Unless you have hit a place where it becomes a life saving event.
  • fitzie63
    fitzie63 Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I've known a few friends who have had the surgery. They lost weight for a short few months but the weight loss stopped. That was principally due to their personal lack of commitment and total compliance to stay with their program over the long term. One lady lost about 124 lbs. but then returned to her old cravings and former eating behavior. She ate herself to DEATH. Ended up on hemo-dialysis due to permanent damage to both kidneys along with multiple other systems failure. Died at age 62. Another friend had the lap band procedure 3 years ago. In that period of time, she's had a net weight loss of only 20 lbs. She's unable to stay with her program on a daily basis over the long term. I recently saw another friend who had that lap band surgery about 5+ years ago. She lost about half of her excess pounds but appears to have stabilized and will likely just maintain her present size.

Do you really want to subject your body to such a high risk surgery. Tami Jones-Shumate was just 15 months away from reaching her 40th birthday when, at 331 lbs., she decided she wasn't going to stay unhealthy any longer. She began with her PORTION CONTROL, daily exercise and daily food diary program. Fifteen months later, she had lost 186 lbs....the hard way. No diet, no pills, no surgery. Just day to day dedicated effort~~~one meal at a time, one day at a time. Today, she maintains a full time job and teaches fitness classes at two gyms in NW Washington State. More than a year after losing that weight, she continues to log every single item that goes in her mouth here on MFP as well as all her exercise activity. You can do it to. We are all here to support and cheer each other on. I will always be here for you. I've been through the same struggles as everyone else over the past 55 years but it's been a yo-yo dieting life for me. I'm a compulsive eater so I now know I must continue logging every single item that goes in my mouth for the rest of my life. I'm 73. Add me to your friends list if you wish.
  • Kid70
    Kid70 Posts: 36
    Options
    Please don't respond if you have never had baratric surgery... I am not looking for people to tell me why they are against it. I have medical complications that are pushing forward to having surgery

Ummm....not to be rude to other members, but I think they missed this part of your post
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    So I have not read all responses but even after the first few I have to interject.

You will find ne-sayers, you will find peole that knew someone or several someones, you will find a friend of a freind of a friend, blah blah blah.

This is YOUR decision. Absorb as much factual information as you can and make an educated decision. Start with your surgeon. Because he/she will be the MOST important person to you for a few years (yes years, not just until surgery). A good surgeon will have an after-care program to help follow you, insure your success, and help you through the downfalls. Let's face it. We are all human and we all make mistakes. Surgery is not the magic cure-all. Even after surgery there will eventually come a time when it will be up to you to make the right decisions. Your surgeon should be available through all the ups and downs. If he/she does not offer an after-care program then find one that cares about you after the big-payoff.

That being said. I had surgery Dec. of 2006 and lost 200+ pounds over 2 years. Reached a stable weight of about 175 <<<<< that's me then in my profile pic. At the age of 39 had my first baby (my first child is adopted becasue I never thought this was going to be possible. Go figure...lose 200+ pounds, become fertile mertile LOL). I now want to lose the last 20 of the 30 I put on while pregnant plus a few extra. If I get back to 175 woo hoo but would love to actually see 150 one day. But, with the amount of extra skin I have, that may not be possible without plastics and with 2 kids now...plastics is not going to happen unless someone dies and leaves me a tone of money or I win the lottery!

You will have to take vitamins for life. LIFE. Not just until you lose weight, feel great, look good, etc. Your body will forever be re-route and not be able to absorb certain nutrients. Yes, I still take a protein supplement too. You do not want to lose a ton of muscle mass. And, finally....you will NOT eat like a bird the rest of your life. Your body will re-acclemate and you will eat like NORMAL person once again. Granted, there are some foods I just can't tolerate like tough meats or pasta and rice. These things will not pass through my stoma and get "stuck" then make me feel ill for hours. In the end though, these are things I should not be eating anyway because of the high calorie/starchy quality of these kinds of foods.

Friend me if you like I am a plethera of info LOL
  • ngory07
    ngory07 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    OMG!!! What is with all the rude people who "know" someone who had WLS and are totally against it??? And to the Dr. Oz reply about what that lady can eat Im not sure how many months out she was but that is ridiculus and unhealthy if she is more that 6-8 weeks out. I had VSG on 1/24/11....there is a diet progression afterward but I can now eat anything. I have to make a choice..do I want that fried chciken or grilled chicken?? You still have to make healthy decisions. I eat fruit, meat, veggies, nuts, and grains. I will always be a food lover....but now I stop when my body tells me to and I would do it over in a heartbeat. It is a TOOL!!!!!!! Not the easy ay out. I was 304 and now I am 235. Almost 70 lbs in 3 months...I have much more energy and I am still dropping 1-4 lbs a week. I do Zumba and I try to eat as clean as possible. I enjoy my food so much more without the constant hunger.

You have to do whats right for you. Research your options....but dont let the people on here scare you. My labs are perfect and I am very healthy. PM if you have any questions...Good luck on your journey!
  • DKennedy1
    Options
    I had RNY 8/24/10, so I'm just over 8 months out. I started at 266 at the beginning of my journey. I lost 30 pounds via diet and exercise over the course of the 8 months prior to my surgery. The day of surgery I weighed 235. I now weigh 161. I WOULD DO IT AGAIN IN A HEARTBEAT! That being said, please understand that surgery is only one piece of the entire puzzle. After my initial consult with the surgeon, I spent the next 8 months doing the following: I had to consult with a psychologist to discuss why I was using food as a therapy (and take a test!) - he then approved me for surgery, but suggested ongoing therapy; visit a nutritionist every month for 6 months; commit to an exercise plan and diet; get a letter of support from my primary care physician; join a support group (and attend regularly); get my thyroid medication regulated; have an endoscopy and colonoscopy.... I think that's about it, but I might be forgetting a thing or two.

I must take dietary supplements for the rest of my life due to malabsorption of nutrients (one of the biggest issues with RNY). (Calcium - 4x/day, Vitamin D - 1x/day, B12 1x/day, multi vitamin - 2x/day, and stool softener - 1-2x/day). My "normal" daily diet looks a bit like:
    Breakfast - scrambled egg w/cottage cheese; 1 oz of sharp cheese
    morning snack - 1/4 cup cashews or fruit w/yogurt
    Lunch - 1/4 cup tuna fish (w/ lite mayo), few wheat thins, small cup of sugar-free applesauce
    afternoon snack - 1/4 cup cashews or fruit w/ yogurt (which ever I didn't have earlier)
    Dinner - (still difficult for me at this time; I usually don't eat what my family eats) - 1/4 cup baked beans or small salad, small serving of grilled chicken
    evening snack - microwave popcorn (surprises me that I can tolerate it, but I can!)
    Throughout the day I must drink a minimum of 8 cups of water, but not within 30 minutes of a meal. This is often tricky due to the fact that I feel like I'm always having just eaten or will eat shortly. Believe me, though - constiptation is much less the more water I drink.

I also work out 4-5 times a week - usually doing 3 miles on the treamill and 45 minutes of water aerobics. I'm so much more energetic now than ever! I've signed up to coach my daughter's softball team as well as play on a softball team of my own. I'm also signed up to run five 5K's this year - the first will be on mother's day. I've asked for a new bike for Mother's Day so I can bike around with my daughters. I walk with co-workers every day at lunch (weather permitting), and I still feel like I could move more if I had more time.

One last comment..... My older sister had the same surgery about 10 years ago with a different surgeon. He did not put all the precautions in place (psychologist/support group/commit to exercise, etc.). Once she had the surgery she was on her own. She initially lost somewhere around 200 pounds, but when she died last summer she weighed somewhere around 400 pounds. I wish I knew back then what I know now about weight loss surgery. I could have been more supportive and would have recognized the warning signs when she began slipping back into her old habits.

Best of luck to you as you decide whether or not to have the surgery. Check with a local surgeon to see if they have a support group and start attending just to ask questions/hear their experiences. That in itself really helped me.
  • fcrisswell
    Options
    My mom died from complications after bariatric surgery too.

I still made the decision to do it for myself several years later.

There are far too many factors to account for when making this decision for yourself. Hell yes I was hellbent against it right after my mom died too. But after time passed and I objectively looked at the situation...she was at a military hospita....after-care SUCKED, her complaints were ignored, and she did not get UP and walk around after surgery. Had those things been addressed she would not have developed blood clots in her lungs that eventually killed her. BUT, that is also the RISK of ANY surgery.

Everyone has to reach their own decision. I reached a point of no return. I was nearly 400 pounds. could not showere daily without taking several breaks because I was out of breath. I was DIEING. The risk of surgery for me was nill. Either die slowly and miserable or risk dieing to try and save my life in the long run. Easy decision for me.

AND the BEST one I ever made.
  • ngory07
    Options
    My aunt died from complications from bariatric surgery so I sure as hell will stand up against it..

I am sorry about your aunt but everyBODY's different and there are way more success stories that tragedies although that doesnt make it any less sad when it happens. You always here about the failures but there are people Ive known for a few yrs that are "normal size" and I never realized til they came forth they had WLS. And one of them was 7+ yrs out and maintaining and healthy.
  • ngory07
    Options

There are far too many factors to account for when making this decision for yourself. Hell yes I was hellbent against it right after my mom died too. But after time passed and I objectively looked at the situation...she was at a military hospita....after-care SUCKED, her complaints were ignored, and she did not get UP and walk around after surgery. Had those things been addressed she would not have developed blood clots in her lungs that eventually killed her. BUT, that is also the RISK of ANY surgery.

Everyone has to reach their own decision. I reached a point of no return. I was nearly 400 pounds. could not showere daily without taking several breaks because I was out of breath. I was DIEING. The risk of surgery for me was nill. Either die slowly and miserable or risk dieing to try and save my life in the long run. Easy decision for me.

AND the BEST one I ever made.

Great for you!!!! Congrats on your loss!! And for overcoming your prejudice and realizing that every situation is different. You are INSPIRATIONAL!!!!
  • DKennedy1
    Options

I hope that you received support from the rest of your family. Unfortunately for me, I did not. My siblings blamed my sister's death on complications due to her surgery and nothing could have been further from the truth.

Good for you for standing up for yourself and taking your health in your own hands!
  • fcrisswell
    Options

I hope that you received support from the rest of your family. Unfortunately for me, I did not. My siblings blamed my sister's death on complications due to her surgery and nothing could have been further from the truth.

Good for you for standing up for yourself and taking your health in your own hands!
    [/quote]

My family was supportve surprisingly. My sister was the one that tried everything to stop me...In the end though she was still there, in the waiting room I do come from a family of large people...most of whom could use some assistance but either, aren't ready for that next step, don't have insurance coverage, or are too ill healthwise to qualify.
  • angelintx
    angelintx Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Weight loss surgery is a personal decision and one I think should only be considered if you have tried multiple other weight loss methods and were unsuccessful. That being said, if you are super obese and have co-morbidities (other health problems related to obesity), weight loss surgery is a good tool to help lose weight and improve those co-morbidities.

I had a vertical sleeve gastrectomy 7 months ago. I don't believe the surgery itself was the solution to my problem, but it was the catalyst to my making long-lasting healthy changes that has enabled me to lose almost 60 pounds to date. One thing that I learned in this process is that my relationship with food is the problem -- and that is a problem that surgery won't fix. Having said that, by doing what is required before and after the surgery, I have been able to lose weight, begin an active lifestyle and change some of my unhealthy eating habits (most of the time) including: giving up carbonated beverages, not skipping or overeating at meals, and not choosing unhealthy foods regularly. My sleeve as it turns out is much larger than most and therefore I have been able to eat normal adult portions nearly from the beginning. Therefore, my tool isn't working like it is supposed to. I could have a revision surgery and have the sleeve redone to be smaller, have a RNY gastric bypass, or duodenal switch at this point. However, I have chosen not to because (1) all my co-morbidities are gone now (YAY!!! :bigsmile: ), (2) I recognize that no matter what, the real work of losing weight is done by my choices, not by my tool, and (3) I believe that I can and will get the rest of the weight off on my own, although slowly it seems, by continuing to make the healthy choices. Would I do the surgery over again knowing what I know now? Absolutely!!! It has changed my life for the better in so many ways!!

I hope that information helps and if you'd like to get some more information and check out a WLS-friendly forum, there are many of us who regularly post here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/180611-wls-support-and-inspirational-information?page=13#posts-2995111

Best wishes and I hope that no matter what you decide that you are able to make your health a priority! :flowerforyou:
  • Czymom
    Czymom Posts: 12
    Options
    Hi, thank you for your post.
    I had the lap band placed in October, 2007. I initially lost a good amount of weight very quickly, around 48 pounds in 3-4 months. After that, I learned how to "eat around" my band. I have gained back around 30 pounds since. I teeter around 20 pounds of total weight loss from the beginning. Hardly worth the 18 grand my husband and I paid for the surgery.

Now, let me explain to you why I gained. I didnt follow the rules. I didnt continue on the path I started. The band had not failed me, I have failed myself. I have had issues of eating too quickly, eating the wrong foods, eating ICE CREAM and just basically giving up.

I am now back on the right path, working with my bariatric center and getting this right this time. Please feel free to message me with any other questions.
    Thanks.
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    *psst*

It works. :-D
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options

Now, let me explain to you why I gained. I didnt follow the rules.

And this is exactly true. I've seen RNY and bandsters talk about "grazing" so they can enjoy the entire holiday/bbq/everyday spread and that's NOT what you are supposed to do. And eating garbage with or without the surgery (a) Won't fill you up and (b) Will leave you exhausted and lazy.

Learn how food makes your body feel during those first six months.