2nd week, 1 pound loss

Options
:cry: Ok so here goes....This is my second week and I lost 2 pounds the first week....1 pound today (weigh in) for my second week. I wouldnt be truthful if I said this wasnt a BIG BUMMER for me. I was expecting ATLEAST a 2 pound loss. Im not sure what I may be doing wrong. Im not perfect but I am definately staying within or slightly under my daily calorie goals. Im at the gym 3 times a week for an hour and a half. Weight machines and Cardio. People are telling me i look slimmer, my clothes are alittle baggier (nothing dramatic) BUT Ive only loss 1 pound this week. Im a slave to the scale so when my fiance tells me...."Go by the way your clothes fit"...it does nothing for me. I have a realistic goal of losing 32 pound in the next 4 months (Im getting married) but at this rate Im not going to get there. Please help! Suggestions welcome! :-) TIA!!

Replies

• poustotah
    poustotah Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    Well first of all, don't give up. Second of all, open up your diary so people can take a look at it.
  • ohthatmomma
    ohthatmomma Posts: 115
    Options
    Keep up the good work! Stick with it and you will see marked improvements in your overall health! Congratulations on soon-to-be getting married! Married life is awesome!

Also, reading Bob Greene's book, he says that if you haven't seen dramatic weight loss in the first few weeks, it is probably because you are losing some fat. Not everyone has water weight. Water weight will shed quickly, that is when you see the big drops on some folks. So, be happy with the way you feel in your clothes and take those compliments and store them away!
  • SeasideOasis
    SeasideOasis Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    Honestly, take your measurements. If you only lose 10 pounds, but lose A LOT of inches, thats almost better. If you body builds muscle, which tends to happen with weight machines and cardio, the muscle weighs more than your fat does anyway.

I dont see a lot of movement on the scale, but my measurements move and grove. I prefer the slimmer look over the scale.
  • kquist16
    kquist16 Posts: 6
    Options
    You've probably hit a plateau, which everyone does at some point, even those participants on shows like "Biggest Loser." In order to continue losing a consistent amount of weight, you need to change things up. If you're doing the same workout routine every week, do something different. Do different weight machines, work different muscle groups, and try doing sprints on the cardio machines, rather than a steady pace (sprints burn fat MUCH more effectively than a steady jog). Another HUGE impact will be the amount of water you consume each day. If you're drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day, GOOD! But now you need to up that amount - Drink 10-11 glasses of water. You will feel more full, will not be tempted to eat as much, and it will help you to NOT retain water, which can slow weight loss. Hope this helps! And good luck!
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    Options
    some weeks i might lose 3 pounds, some .5 pounds. in the end, it has added up to about 11 pounds a month. the less weight you have to lose, the harder it is to lose it. keep going, drink lots of water. make sure you are eating enough (not sure if you are, can't see your diary) you will get there. also, it IS a good idea to measure yourself. don't only go by what the scale says!!
  • smanj12
    smanj12 Posts: 2
    Options
    Did you just start working out? Sometimes when I first start a fitness routine I gain weight. I attribute it to added muscle weight since muscle weighs more than fat. Over time your body will adjust and the fat will come off. Maybe you should pay more attention to your body measurements instead of your weight.
  • Sassypantz68
    Sassypantz68 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I am new to this....but have struggled all me life. I know its tough...but don't give up! Just a suggestion...Try increasing your water??
  • farmgirlsuz
    farmgirlsuz Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady wins the race! I started my journey three months ago and actually gained a pound my second week! Talk about BUMMED! I know you want to see results especially since you feel like you are depriving yourself, but believe me, keep at it and pretty soon you will start to steamroll! Eat the calories you are allowed...starving yourself with be counterproductive. Tomorrow is another day.
  • amymunn
    amymunn Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    i have been running at least a mile n a half 5 days a week. hittin the gym 4 days a week doin lots of toning exercises, and guess what?! i havent lost ANYTHING. and its been 3 weeks. BUT the good news is....my measurements are shrinking. muscle weighs more than fat, so maybe your muscle build is just outweighing the fat loss. i figure i dont care what my scale says as long as i look good and feel good. :]
  • campbellcjdm
    Options
    If you have just started trying to lose weight last week, your body may take a week or two to realize you are serious about weight loss. Your metabolism needs to get a jump start. Hang in there! BTW - that dress is gorgeous !!!!
  • skinnyjeans13
    Options
    You aren't always going to lose 2 lbs, you will have weeks you stay at the same weight and weeks where you gain... the key is consistency. Don't give up. I work out 6 days a week and never go over calories and last week I had 0lbs change and this week 1.4 and I was ECSTATIC! Losing 2lbs a week every week is tough (especially if you are doing it the proper, healthy way.)

There are so many factors that could explain your 1lb loss, but just think- sometimes a low week translates to a bigger number the next week! So don't get discouraged, just stay motivated and remember: slow and steady wins the race.
  • chanstriste13
    chanstriste13 Posts: 3,277 Member
    Options
    stay the course. we can move the tides of our bodies, but we can't dictate every little thing they do. rather unfortunate, really. however, if you keep going, you'll be nearer and nearer your goal each week - better to be 50% or 75% of the way to your goal in 4 months than where you are right now. best of luck!
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    You might be losing inches and turning fat into muscle... Are you eating enough? Can you talk to a Nutritionist?
  • klineksk
    klineksk Posts: 3
    Options
    try to even out your workouts to 50 minutes 5 or 6 times a week. Sometimes if you are new to working out, you build up muscle and the weight goes up a little or doesn't go down, but with the workout you are gaining definition and losing inches. Everything catches up in the end, so stay strong! Some weeks the success is just in maintaining and not gaining!
  • Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Don't be discouraged...it's a process with so many variables that you need to take into consideration:

- The scale isn't god. It doesn't show you body composition changes so if you're doing weights as well, you're likely gaining lean mass which is more dense than your fat mass. What it's important is "fat" loss and not just "weight" loss.

- How long you're at the gym is less important than what you're doing when you're there. As well, having enough recovery time and rest between workouts so you can constantly push harder the next time is essential

- if people are telling you that you look slimmer...go with that. I would guess you're altering your physique which is more important than "scale weight" Someone who is 150lbs and 40% Body fat is going to look compeltely different from someone who is 150lbs and 20% Body fat. Same weight...different composition.

I wouold recommend investing in a Home Body fat scale and use those measurements as your goal rather than your mass. It'll give you something to push towards and you'll see measureable results than show why your clothes are fitting better.

keep at it and we're all here for you. :-)
  • cobarlo14
    cobarlo14 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    just stay motivated and remember: slow and steady wins the race.

I love that - so True!!!
  • Shaylaluvsya
    Options
    How do you set the goals in green? For example:

Starting Weight: 217.8 Current Weight: 190.6
    Goal #1: ONEderland - SUCCESS!!!
    Goal #2: 193 - SUCCESS!!! 4/6/2011
    Goal #3: 183
    Goal #4: 179
    Goal #5: 170

No due dates - just get it done.

Obviously this is not mine...haha
  • MizzDoc
    MizzDoc Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Well think of it like this...

Did it take 2 weeks to put the extra weight on? If not, then surely it won't take 2 weeks to take it off.

Weight loss is a process and a journey. While it would be nice to think we could lose XX pounds per week, it does not always work that way.

Keep doing the right things and you will see results.
  • amyoliver85
    amyoliver85 Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    Hey there, few things you need to focus on:

1) While losing 2 lbs a week is a realistic goal, it is not necessarily a realistic reality. A REAL human body loses ANYWHERE from 0.1 to 2 pounds per week at healthy levels. You will most likely not lose 2 lbs every week.

2) When you exercise, do you eat back exercise calories? If you don't, I can almost guarantee you that you are going to stop losing weight all together pretty soon here.

3) 32 lbs. is A LOT of weight to lose.And if you're already not very heavy for your height, your body is not going to let go of it as easy as you might want it to.

4) What are you eating? Watching calories isn't enough when you're trying to change the shape of your body. You are what you eat. And if you eat a lot of sodium you're going to retain a lot of water. If you eat a lot of sugar, you're going to retain fat, no matter what else you're doing. If you're eating a lot of fast food and takeout...well you get the point.

5) Losing 1 pound in a week is something to be very proud of. While we all get discouraged at times, you need to put yourself in an appropriate mindset or you are going to do yourself more damage than good. You cannot go into a diet with the mindset that you have to lose a certain amount of weight in a certain time frame and that you have to lose a certain amount of pounds each week. That's how you end up losing the battle.

6) Watch that "slightly under my calories" trap. You said that you're usually slightly under. What is slightly? Because that adds up and it hurts you. Slightly over does the same thing.

I started working out in January with the goal of going from 199.8 to 160 lbs by my wedding on June 4th. Nearly three weeks ago, I hit 163.4. But then my body decided it didn't wanna. And I gained more than three lbs. overnight. It took me 2 weeks to drop that "booster weight". I am now back at 163.4. I have done several things wrong in this journey, including working myself too hard and not eating enough of the right foods.

By coming into your second week with this mindset you are setting yourself up for failure. Don't do that.

Set your goals, but understand that while the goal is realistic, the reality might not follow. You have to be able to accept that. Diet, exercise and weight loss is very dependent on the emotional and mental components. Strengthen those before you attempt to further your weight loss and you'll do fine!
  • cruise160
    cruise160 Posts: 55
    Options
    Hey there, few things you need to focus on:

1) While losing 2 lbs a week is a realistic goal, it is not necessarily a realistic reality. A REAL human body loses ANYWHERE from 0.1 to 2 pounds per week at healthy levels. You will most likely not lose 2 lbs every week.

2) When you exercise, do you eat back exercise calories? If you don't, I can almost guarantee you that you are going to stop losing weight all together pretty soon here.

3) 32 lbs. is A LOT of weight to lose.And if you're already not very heavy for your height, your body is not going to let go of it as easy as you might want it to.

4) What are you eating? Watching calories isn't enough when you're trying to change the shape of your body. You are what you eat. And if you eat a lot of sodium you're going to retain a lot of water. If you eat a lot of sugar, you're going to retain fat, no matter what else you're doing. If you're eating a lot of fast food and takeout...well you get the point.

5) Losing 1 pound in a week is something to be very proud of. While we all get discouraged at times, you need to put yourself in an appropriate mindset or you are going to do yourself more damage than good. You cannot go into a diet with the mindset that you have to lose a certain amount of weight in a certain time frame and that you have to lose a certain amount of pounds each week. That's how you end up losing the battle.

6) Watch that "slightly under my calories" trap. You said that you're usually slightly under. What is slightly? Because that adds up and it hurts you. Slightly over does the same thing.

I started working out in January with the goal of going from 199.8 to 160 lbs by my wedding on June 4th. Nearly three weeks ago, I hit 163.4. But then my body decided it didn't wanna. And I gained more than three lbs. overnight. It took me 2 weeks to drop that "booster weight". I am now back at 163.4. I have done several things wrong in this journey, including working myself too hard and not eating enough of the right foods.

By coming into your second week with this mindset you are setting yourself up for failure. Don't do that.

Set your goals, but understand that while the goal is realistic, the reality might not follow. You have to be able to accept that. Diet, exercise and weight loss is very dependent on the emotional and mental components. Strengthen those before you attempt to further your weight loss and you'll do fine!

LOVE IT! Thanks so much everyone! Im still hanging in there....Im too determined to give up. Just a minor set back and disappointment. Its a natural feeling but its not going to stop me!!!

Again, Thanks guys :-))