What's that ammonia smell?

Options
I have the distinct smell of ammonia in my sweat after exercising this morning. Is this something bad?

Replies

• tonlynn
    tonlynn Posts: 23
    Options
    does it ever smell like nail polish? like acetone? cause if it does you need to be checked by a doctor for diabetes.
  • LillysGranny
    Options
    I have read that a high protein diet causes the amonia smell in your sweat. I don't recall reading that it is necessarily a problem, at least not as long as you shower :)
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    From Discovery Health:

The human body relies on a balanced intake of carbohydrates, proteins and fats to function properly. If the scales shift too far off the mark in a particular dietary direction, signs of improper nutrition can crop up -- and sweat that smells like ammonia is one of those. Luckily, if exercise leaves you smelling somewhere between industrial strength cleaner and fresh cat urine, there's a pretty easy fix.

Carbohydrates are the powerhouses of energy production in the body, and fats work as their supercharged backups. Proteins are also incredibly important for proper bodily function -- including kicking in some extra juice if needed -- but it's best if they're mainly left to cover their other responsibilities. Some examples of proteins' many roles include forming structural components like collagen and connective tissue, inducing muscle movement, regulating bodily mechanisms and transporting substances about the body. It's enough to keep any amino acid busy.

A high-protein, low-carbohydrate diet is generally what leads to sweat stinking of ammonia. Basically, it works like this. When someone with this sort of diet begins to exercise, his or her body is quickly forced to turn to proteins for the necessary energy. To do this, amino acids are broken down into various components, parts of which are converted into glucose. Other elements that come out of the process are waste products, and if the body can't handle everything being sent its way, the leftovers are excreted out through the skin. Ammonia is one form that ready-to-go waste can take.

Typically, ammonia (very bad in large amounts) would be converted into urea (less bad in large amounts) and safely expelled through urine. Too much ammonia, and the body falls back on its old detoxifying fail-safe: sweat. And stinky sweat at that. Otherwise, an overload of ammonia can impair neurological functions and cause muscle fatigue.

If cutting the protein and upping the carbs doesn't completely do the trick, try drinking more water. Water will dilute the ammonia, as well as make it easier to excrete. Keep in mind too -- if an ammonia aroma is emanating from the mouth, is unrelated to sweating and exercise or is accompanied by other severe symptoms, it could be a sign of something serious like severe liver disease or impending kidney failure. A doctor should be consulted ASAP.

If you're looking to run a marathon or engage in some other exhaustive athletic activity, it might be difficult to avoid smelling like ammonia when you cross the finish line, since prolonged and draining exercise make the body particularly susceptible. But hey, you just ran a marathon, right? Don't worry if you smell a little funky afterward -- it'll pass.
  • Kellee_76
    Kellee_76 Posts: 91
    Options
    Sounds like you're eating too much protein and not enough carbs
  • StartingOver4Me
    Options
    I'd rather smell like amonia than have too many carbs. Just my opinion. Very interesting and educating article!! Now I know why!!! Thank you!
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    I just had this happen to me twice within the last week. First time I noticed it in the shower after my workout, and it was so strong I thought my OH poured javex down the tub for some reason.
    2nd time was at the end of my 1 hour jog/walk - I looked it up and found what MochaMixAZ pasted.

Basically you need to have some more carbs to give your body energy before your workout , and if your running longer than 30 mins bring a quick carb with you to eat .
  • Carolengler
    Options
    That was interesting to read. Thanks MochaMixAZ
  • byHISstrength
    byHISstrength Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Interesting MochaMixAZ...thanks for sharing.
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the information. This community is beyond amazing in the support you all offer.

I exercise before eating in the morning so that could be the most likely reason I suppose. My levels are set at 40% Carbs 40% Protein and 30% fat.

I don't exercise heavily like a runner but I do 1-1/2 minute sprints of walking 4.5 mph every 4 minutes and keep my heart rate up in the 125 - 145 range for the half hour. I'm not diabetic and I'm 54 years old just starting out living healthy for the first time ever.....so I'm learning.
  • tgh1914
    tgh1914 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    I asked this very same question a couple months ago in a thread. Here's an awesome article about it (the gist is low carb & high protein dieting). The article points out that it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm
  • cherilyn221
    cherilyn221 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Here's an awesome article about it (the gist is low carb & high protein dieting). The article points out that it doesn't necessarily mean it's a bad thing.

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ammonia.htm

Thank you!!!....that was an informative piece and I think I'll keep things the way they are...having an apple and yogurt and nuts for breakfast after my exercise...then shower...lol.
  • jljc_2010
    jljc_2010 Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    259 POUNDS LOST? REALLY?
  • kristina1027
    Options
    Oh my god, I thought I was the only one. And i couldnt actually figure out how to describe what i was smelling. Thank you so much!!
  • MochaMixAZ
    MochaMixAZ Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    259 POUNDS LOST? REALLY?

LOL Well, 258.5 to be exact, but yes, really!
  • mrphil86
    mrphil86 Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many times I've posted this. But,

Don't be too worried about it. It's the break down of amino acids. It could be from your muscles or it could be from your diet. Just because you carb load does not mean it will be there in the morning or when you workout. Eat an apple or something before you workout.