Am I Doing This Wrong?

Options
Rage_Phish
Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
Hello all,

I recently started here at MFP about a week ago. I have drastically altered what i eat on a regular basis. Stopped eating junk and am now focusing on healthier foods/ portion control. I have logged everything i ate and the correct amounts.

The problem/ concern i have is that this has all been too easy! I dont have a problem staying under my calories, im not starving through out the day, and i haven't been having any cravings for the unhealthy foods i used to love. I was wondering if someone could take a look at my diary and let me know if im on the right track or not. I'm just concerned that this lifestyle change has been too easy, which makes me think i'm doing it wrong lol.

Thanks!

Replies

• anzura
    anzura Posts: 171
    Options
    It's always easier to stay at calorie goal and feel satisfied when eating healthy. That's why most people weren't fat until fast and processed food came around. You're doing it right.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    You aren't doing it wrong. Here is the way I see it- we are giving ourselves what our body needs (healthy food) it doesn't "crave" all of that junk. Also if you notice you eat healthy you can eat alot more because the calories,fat..etc are lower so you can eat more. To me the eating is easy- the working out is the hard part.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    You got it.

m220196108.jpg
  • Akaratel
    Akaratel Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Yes you are doing it right.... myself on the other hand was doing it completely wrong before keeping track. I was literally eating less than half the calories my body would require.... therefore i lost nothing but kept going up and down between 10 lbs over 10 years of being very active, including martial arts training. I learned really fast that I was never eating enough to fuel my body... and yes sometimes I have trouble trying to eat all the calories... Great job! Keep up the great work!
  • erikblock
    erikblock Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    This might sound like a pessimistic response, but I think it's at least unflinchingly honest. I found it easy at first, too. I was gung-ho about losing weight and NOTHING was going to stop me. I could come to work and find the break room table stacked with bakery goodies, and I wouldn't go anywhere near them. Over time, though, my willpower faded. A little treat here and there slowly evolved into weeks where I go over my calories (sometimes CONSIDERABLY) nearly every day.

You CAN do it. You CAN stay strong and keep your resolve throughout. But it DOES get harder, at least from my experience.

Erik
  • amjmomma
    amjmomma Posts: 41
    Options
    I looked at your diary and it looks GREAT! I think you are doing awesome. I was in WW for a while and they were always pushing "filling foods". Those are things like whole grains, fresh fruits and veggies, lean protein, fat-free dairy, things like that. You have all those in your diary which means you are eating the right stuff that will keep you full longer. It is always easy at first though, because you are gung ho on a new thing. Once the newness wears off you might find it is harder. At that point, go back and revisit your diary to remind yourself what you were eating and go with that again. You'll have your up and down days. I am happy for you that it is up so far, keep up the good work!
  • cckeimig
    cckeimig Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I, too, thought I would be starving to death if I cut back the calories so drastically, but I'm not. Sure, I have my days when I'm hungrier than normal, but I also have days where it's actually a challenge to hit my goals because I'm so full! I'm sure you're doing it totally right. Respect the calorie amounts and the recommendations for protein, fat, and carbs as much as you can. I, personally, usually go over on my carbs because I'm still addicted to them, but at the same time, I've dropped about 24 pounds over the course of three months using a goal of dropping .9 lbs per week, which puts me ahead of the game, in my view. Then again, I didn't want to take thirty weeks to drop the weight, either, so I'm not complaining! :happy:
  • Rage_Phish
    Rage_Phish Posts: 1,507 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the responses everyone! glad to know i'm at least on the right track, now i just gotta work on the getting more exercise part!
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I've only been doing this a week too, and am finding it easy-ish to be good, apart from a massive blip over the weekend where I had some old school friends to stay, and drank my own weight in Gin & Tonic... oops...

Anyway your diary looks great to me. Keep up the good work :) xxxx
  • pchann
    pchann Posts: 84
    Options
    I think you need a bit more protein. I know this is an area of contention for many folks but 80 bgrams of protein isn't enough. You can get a casein protein and have a shake before bed. That will add 25 grams of protein and only about 125 calories when mixed with water. Also after you nightly fast it's my belief that some protien in the first 30 minutes of being awake will help jump start your body(metabolism) and mind. Just those two things can get your daily protein over 125 grams a day with very few calories.