for all you people who think you can choose fast food health

Options

Replies

• emilysebastian
    emilysebastian Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    :noway: There should NOT be that many ingredients in chicken!!!

Not only is it generally healthier to eat from home, but I'm *cheap* I brown bag it every day!!! :bigsmile:
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    Eh, my kids still love a Happy Meal once in a blue moon (we're talking less than once a month). When that happens, I get the last thing on the menu that doesn't leave me sick...COFFEE! :-D Their coffee has gotten pretty good over the past few years. Either that or DD has gotten so much worse that it makes it *seem* better. :-D
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I worked at a fast food joint for 4 years during high school and I saw what it did to people. I also saw how the stuff is prepared and how much crap really goes into that food. I also see how some restaurants try and market "healthier" alternatives but there really is nothing healthy about fast food.

With that being said.. I still love my fast food. I generally pick one fast food meal a week and that is my treat for being healthy the rest of the time. There used to be a point where my mom and I ate out every night and never worked out.. She'd come home from work and didn't feel like cooking so we'd go and get food. Now we're heading to the gym every night and cooking after.
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    The only fast food places I frequent is Chipotle and Dibella's Subs!! YUMMMM!!!!!!!!

LOVE Chipolte!!!! :love:

I just have a devil of a time not ordering the guacamole though. :embarassed:
  • CorinthiaB
    CorinthiaB Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    Personally for me. This is not a diet and it the way I plan to eat for the rest of my life. Therefore, every now and then I go to McDonalds, Wendys, Rallys, Pizza Hut, KFC and others. I don't eat this way every day. I have been there and done that. I want to be able to do this for life so to me I must be honest and realistic with myself. This is for me not others. Do what is best for self.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    And let's be honest here. Fast or not fast - most restaurant food isn't good for you. YES MOST! I shouldn't have to exclude really expensive posh places that pride themselves on a healthy menu, but ok - when I say MOST it excludes that elite 5%. That's why I didn't say "all". :-D
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I still will randomly get my spicey chicken from wendys :):)

Thank you for being so honest!! I love the spicy chicken too :) and I'll still let myself have it every once in awhile. Yea fast food is bad, but once every month or so will not kill you. I hate it when people look down on ANYONE who ever eats fast food.

No one is looking down on you. We just say its not healthy. You have people on this site who will say that there are healthy choices at fast food joints and they are fooling themselves.

Now if you are going to it for enjoyment and you know its not a healthy choice thats different. You aren't in denial you are just allowing yourself to enjoy something on the dark side. I don't think anyone would disapprove of that. Well I'm not.

Exactly. I don't look down on people who go. I don't tell you what to eat, don't tell me what I should eat kind of thing. But, please.. don't live in denial and think the stuff they are serving is healthy. If you're completely honest and say "I know it isn't the best choice for me, but I like it as a treat now and again" then more power to you. But, don't stand in front of me and tell me that this or that on their menu is healthy -- because honestly, it isn't.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    I just read a report about the fillers that are used in McDonald's beef. I can no longer stand to go in the place. If I do eat at a fast food restaurant I plan VERY carefully for it and include sodium, sugar, protein and carbs for my choice. 95% of the time, I opt to make my own lunch.

Isn't it funny that the same stuff in those little packets that keep new shoes smelling fresh is quite possibly in their beef? Maybe this month it's seasoned recycled soda bottles. X-D
  • Drunkadelic
    Drunkadelic Posts: 948 Member
    Options
    Did I ever say I thought it was healthy for me? No I didn't :ohwell:
  • SarahofTwins
    SarahofTwins Posts: 1,169 Member
    Options
    im not even thinking about the calories at this point about fast food.

yes, to each their own and i dont look down on anyone for eating it at all.

im just scared for them because they dont know what's IN it. it's not about the calories for me; it's about what it's made from cause it's not what we think

:cry:

Its mainly for the people who are "on the go" types or if its an option where they dont pig out on everything. Everyone has their big boy or big girl pants on, they are able to make their own decisions. However fast foods are linked to cancer and such....ah well what can we do.
    :indifferent:
  • feliciapeters
    Options
    I was in a rush and starving sat do i had an egg mcmuffin. my body has decided it doesnt like that crap anymore (my usual breakfast is oatmeal & fruit) SICK AS A DOG

but the mcdonalds oatmeal is tasty & not too bad calorie wise
  • misskimlilac
    misskimlilac Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    We can all agree that fast food is not healthy, but I will be honest and say for myself and my family it is a necessary evil. Both my husband and I work 40+ hours a week, our kids each have about 4-5 baseball/dance practices plus games a week. We do our best to limit the amount of crap we all put into our bodies but there are times when it is the only option or we would be eating at 10:00 pm. Since starting MFP I do try to make the healthiest choices possible when we eat out, sometimes that is not easy but I am not fooling myself~ I know it is not healthy food.
  • Derm94
    Derm94 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have to admit, I love fast food. I manage to lose weight and still eat it because on days that I eat it I try to not eat much else other than vegetables and fat free yogurt. It is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, I agree, it is terrible for you. But so is alcohol, smoking, diet soda, processed foods prepared at home, etc. etc. If you love it, don't deny yourself. Limit amounts and enjoy in moderation.
    Jennifer
  • BryanAir
    BryanAir Posts: 434
    Options
    Thanks to MFP I've eaten fast food maybe twice in the last three months! I used to eat it several days a week and I have NO idea how. I had Taco Bell a couple weekends ago and it was so gross. I thought I was "treating" myself to it, but it was an awful treat haha. I don't even eat Subway because I can't control the amount of mayo. I swear you say "light" and they purposely put more than usual just to screw with you.

There is a way to control how much mayo they put on there. Just order no mayo :laugh: . Seriously though, when I see the number of tablespoons they put on a footlong sub I couldn't imagine ordering one with mayo. Black forest ham with mustard and all the veggies is the best.
  • mishelnkiki
    mishelnkiki Posts: 775 Member
    Options
    i just ate popeyes! it was amazing! to each their own. i burn a crap ton of cals per day. and i do that for the simple fact that if i do happen to want something bad i can have it. i dont do it everyday, and i dont do it all that often. if u dont like it, great! dont eat it. but i wouldnt be able keep doing what im doing if i didnt allow myself to eat what i wanted... in moderation of course! and i agree with the taco bell comment. i used to be obsessed, but since i slowed down on it, i now find it disgusting!
  • kasmir8199
    kasmir8199 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    My ultimate goal is to become a health food expert cook! Seriously. My body has been asking me to healthier options, but I can't do it cold turkey. I've made substitutions, have cut out a lot of the bad from my diet, and am drinking primarily water without feeling I'm mission out on something. I've yet to completely kick the fast food habit, but I'm progressing in the right direction. Salads with grilled chicken and no dressing versus super-sized meals...I'll get there. :)

Thinking about becoming a vegetarian. My ex-in-laws did it. The kids and I live vegetarian when we visit over the summer. I'm gonna have to steal some recipes from grandpa Mike this time around.
  • donicagalek
    Options
    I have to admit, I love fast food. I manage to lose weight and still eat it because on days that I eat it I try to not eat much else other than vegetables and fat free yogurt. It is one of my guilty pleasures. Yes, I agree, it is terrible for you. But so is alcohol, smoking, diet soda, processed foods prepared at home, etc. etc. If you love it, don't deny yourself. Limit amounts and enjoy in moderation.
    Jennifer

Aren't you starving on those days? I was working around normal holiday menus by cutting cals from lunch and breakfast to make space for higher cal evils and I forgot how *not* full the stuff makes you. :-D
  • parisianskies002
    Options
    l always get that McDonald's salad! Oh my days, l thought that was the healthiest option to get if l am near McDonald's. l'm going to get my *kitten* up earlier and start preparing my own lunches - at least l know what l put in them! :/
  • Rworthy
    Rworthy Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Mmmmmmm....chicken nuggets!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Not to tip the apple cart, but my thought is:

1. If you find the food disgusting, dont eat it.
    2. If you dont find the food disgusting, limit to once a week or once every two weeks in moderation. When you want a Wendys burger, there is no substitute, and denying yourself will lead to long term failure.

Best thing to do is to fully educate yourself on the facts of fast food, and make your own informed decision.

This. Sometimes I want a Breakfast Jack or a Chicken Sandwich, easy mayo from Burger King. I'm not going to deprive myself. I AM, however, going to work it into my daily calorie allowance and do my best to balance my macros. And any person who tried to take away my BK french fries might be hurt.

That said... it's a once a month or every other month kind of thing.
This discussion has been closed.