Fitness programs

Options
I'm looking to get a DVD fitness program to supplement my exercise routine.

Looking around on teh net I have see that p90x and ShaunT are popular but I have no idea about effectiveness of any of them.

Any recommendations?

Replies

• debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried either of them, but I do recommend the Bob Harper Kettlebell Cardio workout DVD. Whoops my butt every time! You can get a great cardio workout and strength workout depending upon the kettlebell weight that you are using. The DVD also includes a small ab workout section.

You may want to check Amazon and read reviews for the different DVDs there to get an idea of whether you will like the DVD.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    I haven't tried either of them, but I do recommend the Bob Harper Kettlebell Cardio workout DVD. Whoops my butt every time! You can get a great cardio workout and strength workout depending upon the kettlebell weight that you are using. The DVD also includes a small ab workout section.

You may want to check Amazon and read reviews for the different DVDs there to get an idea of whether you will like the DVD.

Hadn't thought of checking reviews on Amazon etc. as I don't buy there. Thanks for the idea. I'll get on it.
  • liftreadphilosophize
    Options
    What kind of exercise supplement are you looking for? Cardio? Resistance? Endurance? Flexibility?
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    Basically for now I am looking to get a general overall workout program to aid in basic fitness, toning and weight loss. So cardio, and flexibility together. Resistance and endurance training will come in later on once I have my body working more efficiently and have had some weight loss and muscle toning to counter permanent injuries I am carrying.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    What kinds of injuries do you have? Insanity is nothing but intense cardio with plyometrics which could be bad on knees, hips, and even shoulders for the burpee-like movements. P90X is a combo between weight training and cardio with some yoga. Personally, I would recommend doing weights (at your own pace) to strengthen the areas around injuries anyway which can lessen the time it takes to heal and prevent future injuries. Out of the 2 you listed, I would go with P90X. But it can get expensive unless you get a second hand copy.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    heh, toning again.

Yeah, you might want to start small.

Try this.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    Lyadeia wrote: »
    What kinds of injuries do you have? Insanity is nothing but intense cardio with plyometrics which could be bad on knees, hips, and even shoulders for the burpee-like movements. P90X is a combo between weight training and cardio with some yoga. Personally, I would recommend doing weights (at your own pace) to strengthen the areas around injuries anyway which can lessen the time it takes to heal and prevent future injuries. Out of the 2 you listed, I would go with P90X. But it can get expensive unless you get a second hand copy.

Main problems are knees (basically no cartilage anymore). I have been able to work around this in the past by modifying the exercise. Medial and lateral elbow tendons ( sort of RSI/bursa damage I suppose from repetitive exercise and contact exercise. Mild rotatorf cuff injury that won't clear up and lower back, mainly from my weight problems.
    dbmata wrote: »
    heh, toning again.

Yeah, you might want to start small.

Try this.

have been doing light high rep gym and swimming for this already, for 2 weeks, but I have a couple of weeks more of the ssme planned before I start to get serious.

I should point out that I have, regretably in the past, been very active with military fitness, weight training and cardio. My personal training added 2-3 hours a day to the military training, so i do have a background to draw on. But I have been ill for basically 15 years and have to get back in with minimum equipment.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.
  • Jenni_MFP
    Jenni_MFP Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I did Turbofire for a while and really liked it, even though I hate cardio! It's not as intense as something like Insanity or P90X, which helps
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Omg my love for Shaun T is just.... *shakes head*. I do his Hip Hop Abs, and I love it so much! For something less dancy and more "typical workout" maybe try his T25? Full non stop workout crammed into 25 mins for busy people on the go and less insane than Insanity. No matter the program you choose the guy gets results!

I'm thinking of snagging T25 for the challenge. I really don't like standard workouts but I want to give it a go because he's amaaaaaziiiiiiiiiing.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    Jenni_MFP wrote: »
    I did Turbofire for a while and really liked it, even though I hate cardio! It's not as intense as something like Insanity or P90X, which helps

I'll have to look in to turbo fire. I haven't heard of that one.
    Omg my love for Shaun T is just.... *shakes head*. I do his Hip Hop Abs, and I love it so much! For something less dancy and more "typical workout" maybe try his T25? Full non stop workout crammed into 25 mins for busy people on the go and less insane than Insanity. No matter the program you choose the guy gets results!

I'm thinking of snagging T25 for the challenge. I really don't like standard workouts but I want to give it a go because he's amaaaaaziiiiiiiiiing.

T25 is the one I have been leaning to because of the shorter duration as well. Seems a bit more suitable to my situation for the moment. P90X requires extra equipment, I believe and my available space for that sort of thing is limited to say the least. Also as T25 is using body weight That would be easier to modify if necessary to minimize impact on my injuries I think.

Thanks for the info I'll do a bit more research on both.
  • mizztanjo
    mizztanjo Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I'd say T25 or P90....both are about the same time frame. P90 just came out and it's sort of an entrance into the whole P90X series.
  • Thaifarang
    Options
    I'll check P90 out.

many thanks
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Thaifarang wrote: »
    I should point out that I have, regretably in the past, been very active with military fitness, weight training and cardio. My personal training added 2-3 hours a day to the military training, so i do have a background to draw on. But I have been ill for basically 15 years and have to get back in with minimum equipment.

Thanks for the help, very much appreciated.

Then you know what to do. Just do that, albeit at a lower magnitude than you were doing 15 years ago.

Pushups, dips, pullups, running, jumping jacks all require minimal equipment.
  • Fitmom120811
    Fitmom120811 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I just started P90 im on day 2 and I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE IT. Its such low impact and doesnt hurt my knees or my back as at..
  • georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Thaifarang wrote: »
    I'm looking to get a DVD fitness program to supplement my exercise routine.

Looking around on teh net I have see that p90x and ShaunT are popular but I have no idea about effectiveness of any of them.

Any recommendations?

• georgiaTRIs
    georgiaTRIs Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I too have knee issues. I agree with the Bob Harper workout but Jillian also has a great shred workout that will be good for you. Work the glut's and get the knee stronger eill help a lot. Exercises like squat's, leg lifts, and kettle bell will really get you going