Overweight Fitness Instructor - thoughts?

Options

Replies

• JMJohnson1005
    JMJohnson1005 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I agree, less intimidating! I say go for it!
  • jamaka1
    jamaka1 Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    this sounds like a really proof in the puddng; GO 4 IT:bigsmile:
  • TonysMiss
    TonysMiss Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I say ABSOLUTELY go for it!!!!! I think it would be refreshing to see someone who is instructing that isn't a size "teeny" ;-) It would set a positive example for other women. You can be not so teeny and be in good shape, you can be not so teeny and be confident, you can be not so teeny and...... I think you see where I'm going with this. If your in my area let me know!!!!! = 0 ) Zip code is 98059
    Good luck to you!
  • TDGee
    TDGee Posts: 2,209 Member
    Options
    DO IT!
    Why NOT?
  • sunshine121980
    Options
    Go for it! Who says fitness instructors have to be model thin? It will show that you are also human and obstacles to overcome. And when you do get skinny you will still be able to tell your students about the "before" you and even show them pictures to give them even more hope and keep them on the right road. Good luck!
  • crystal10584
    Options
    hell yeah! go for it! I always get intimidated by the super fit instructors...
  • TaneeisFitforLife
    Options
    Go for it! Your students will relate more to you :)
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    I say go for it... The reason for that is people can see that you are also doing this because you are trying to lose weight and stay fit... That motivates others to continue coming to class... My friend is a Zumba instructor and she is ummm big boned.. But I love it because she doesnt make you feel uncomfortable at all... You just keep getting inspired by them ...
  • bigjean
    bigjean Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    shoooo reminds me some coaches, looked like they never played football but they know what they doin so go for it
  • weallhaveastory
    Options
    PLEASE go for it! The people need you.
  • lockhartkitchen
    Options
    Go for it! I'm so tired of seeing unrealistic skinny women in all our commercials from stretch mark creams, to weight loss items. You could be a real inspiration to someone just starting out. This would also be a stepping-stone for your weight loss too.
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    I think it is a wonderful idea. Go for it!
  • time2runnn
    time2runnn Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I would TOTALLY sign up for your class in a :heart: beat! It would give me hope and you would be so inspiring to all your students! GO FOR IT!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I will be the first to say it. I look at fitness as I look at a chef. As the saying goes never trust a skinny Chef and I kind of feel the same way about a fitness trainer. I wouldn't feel motivated by someone that is not in a good to great physical shape because I would feel that they dont care enough about themselves to stay fit why would they care about their students/clients.

Just my point of view. Not saying you can't do it or wouldn't be good at it. That's just how my mind reacts. It's kind of like the actions speak louder then words....so in that case make all the nay sayers eat crow by showing them you can be that person!!!!
  • smilebhappy
    smilebhappy Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I agree with everyone else! Having an instructor who is going through the same thing I am would be a little more encouraging, I think. Sort of like "we are doing this together"! Good luck on your weighloss journey, though in whatever you decide!

I say Go for it!!!!
    If I lived close to you I'd def be taking your class.
    Zumba is a great workout.......go & have fun w/it :flowerforyou:
  • Kirstie_C26
    Kirstie_C26 Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    GO FOR IT HON :D xxxx
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Go for it!!

I went to a fitness conference in Boston a little while ago and the Zumba instructor for the sample class was kind of chunky - or what some people might call "thick". It definitely takes the intimidation factor away - people think "if she can do it, why can't I?". And if you can encourage more people to exercise, why not?!

Good luck!
  • FunRun08
    FunRun08 Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    as an in progress fitness instructor I say go for it. People have told me that they like me because I am not intimidating. They see me tugging my 2 kids to the Y and having bad days and they know that fitness is something I have to work at just like them. No offense but you dont get that feeling from a super skiney 20 year old. :smile:

Seeing your progress will inspire your class.
  • ♥_Ellybean_♥
    ♥_Ellybean_♥ Posts: 1,646 Member
    Options
    I think it has a lot to do with your personality and your drive - you have to remember you have to keep your energy up for the whole class (no stopping to take a breath) and if you can do that I don't see why you would not go for it.. we have a couple chubby instructors in our gym as well.
  • chelekaz
    chelekaz Posts: 871 Member
    Options
    I think that you should go for it! A REAL woman instructor is awesome. I would certainly feel less self conscious and you will show that anybody can do it as long as they have a will to do it.

And... what a ROLE MODEL you would be!