Constipation?

Options
Okay . . maybe I'm the only one, but I always seem to get really constipated when I first start a new "diet" plan.
Be it Weight Watchers, counting calories myself, etc.

I'm just wondering if anyone out there can relate? It's been about 7 days since my last normal *ahem* and I
usually go at least once a day. I've been taking stool softeners, eating properly and drinking a ton of water . .
so I just don't understand? This always seems to happen to me and it's discouraging because I feel kinda
yucky and bloated, especially today.

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    gummi fiber vitamins saved my life.

And see your doctor.
  • aanaya56
    aanaya56 Posts: 136
    Options
    gummi fiber vitamins saved my life.

And see your doctor.

Those made you go????
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    7 days is a long time... if you don't go within the next couple of days I would see a doctor... especially if you are eating a normal amount of food. It is possible to go "less" than you were when counting calories because less food in= less food out! however, you should still be GOING.

Also up your fiber, and take some acidophilus!!! It works for me :o) If you have pain especially, you should seek treatment ASAP as you could have a blockage.

You could also try something gross we do with the our patients, but actually works... take some prune juice and heat it up. It tastes gross, but it works in less than a half an hour!! If you are really feeling "stuck" you could also add some butter to it...it kinda "lubes" things up! Sounds gross...but it's worth it to suffer the 1 minute it would take to down a glass than to feel uncomfortable constipated! Or have problems resulting FROM the constipation!!

Good luck!
  • bex22mcn
    bex22mcn Posts: 90
    Options
    Have you tried upping your fibre? Pop a couple of handfuls of lentils to your dishes....you will be away in no time :)
  • EbonyGemstoneHealth
    EbonyGemstoneHealth Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    You probably need to check your fibre,35 grams + is efficient. :)
  • Barbellerella
    Barbellerella Posts: 1,838 Member
    Options
    Take a magnesium supplement before bed, and aloe. Every night!
  • stanvoodoo
    stanvoodoo Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    When up your protein you have add more fiber to prevent clogs! Benefiber is great, it is tastless or they have sugar free chewables!

It works!
  • mirapaigew
    mirapaigew Posts: 107
    Options
    My first week I was a little stopped up. lol I had to increase my fiber. Since then, I am now a twice a day goer. (Sorry for the TMI hahaha)
  • elizamc
    elizamc Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Psyllium is good, take with lots of water though....
  • vikesfanmb
    vikesfanmb Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I eat around 30-40 grams of fiber per day (high fiber diet as prescribed by my doctor). I must have a terribly slow metabolism because this happened to me once before and my doctor back then went so far as to give me a colonoscopy prep kit to "relieve" me of my symptoms and even after taking ALL of it, it still took 5 days to work and I still had a very hard BM days later.

I might try the acidophilus, I used to use that for yeast infections and I've heard it's beneficial for intestinal health. It's worth a shot. And the prune juice suggestion . . yes, I have tried that too.

I appreciate all of the suggestions very much!
  • healinghands111
    healinghands111 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Im hypoglycemic, so I have to take in a LOT of protein...I take cold pressed flaxseed capsules, and cook with coconut oil...and voila" problem gone! =)) Good Luck honey!!
  • TheirEllie82
    TheirEllie82 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    There are 2 types of fiber and you want to make sure that you are getting both non-soluble fiber (lettuce is a good source) and soluble (whole grain) because non-soluble makes the *ahem* move while soluble makes it larger...
  • donicagalek
    donicagalek Posts: 526
    Options
    ...because I feel kinda
    yucky and bloated, especially today.

Just intestinal area bloating or bloating in general? Eating a lot of processed diet foods? If the salt content is high and you're retaining water that means that the water isn't making its way into your intestines. No water in your intestines and things won't flow as they should.
  • vikesfanmb
    Options
    Just intestinal bloating. I've been trying to cut back on my sodium significantly.

And oh yes . . one other thing I forgot to mention, the doctor had me on Lasix (water pill) last week (and potassium) due to some extreme swelling I had in my feet, ankles and legs after traveling for several days and walking more than I'm used to. My feet & ankles especially were swollen up like grapefruits.

So I wonder if the Lasix has something to do with the constipation as well? I have a call into the doctor now.
  • lnmackel
    lnmackel Posts: 11
    Options
    I had the same problem less than two weeks ago. I increased my fiber intake by eating more vegetables and a cup of fiber ceral, like Fiber One Raisin and Oat Clusters and by eating a fiber One bar everyday and I became regular by the third day,
  • carilyn39
    carilyn39 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I usually drink a cup of "smooth move tea" from traditiona medicial. it doesn't taste horrible and It keeps me pretty regular with a morning BM. also Senna is a good one for getting this moving, can cause some stomach cramps. minor however. I agree also that you don't want to wait to long to see or at least talk to a dr about this. I personally try to avoid conventional laxatives.
  • vikesfanmb
    Options
    Okay - so the doctor is suggesting Miralax twice a day. I'm going to pick some up at the pharmacy, along with some acidophilus.

UGH . . this is just miserable. : (
  • Mandalicious
    Options
    I eat a whole cup of All-Bran with skim milk every morning for breakfast, after suffering for weeks. That, along with two tsp of benefiber in my coffee in the morning, has helped tremendously.
  • humblemonkey
    humblemonkey Posts: 576 Member
    Options
    Lasix for a week?? With no other medical problem but swelling due to travel?? um...
  • HappilySingle
    HappilySingle Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    Lasix for a week?? With no other medical problem but swelling due to travel?? um...

My dr. prescribed Lasix for me to due to swelling last year; but I only took it for maybe 2 days. I tried an "Acai Berry Cleanse" and bloated up.