HOPE STORY - MUST READ A skinny 20 years old took a fantastic stand against fat shaming

Options
Allterrain_Lady
Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
edited October 2014 in Motivation and Support
It happened today on the subway. It was so impressive, I'll try to do as close a rendition as possible of what happened.

I was with a friend of mine who's highly overweight. Up to the point where it as a real impact on her quality of life.
She can't stand on her feet for a very long time so she sat. Because the subway was crowded and the both of us couldn't stay comfortably on the seat intended for two people I stayed standing.

In front of her was a maybe 7 years old and his (I thought) baby-sitter in her early 20s.
The boy looked at her and said: “Look at that woman.She's so fat, her friend can't seat next to her.”

My friend was tearing and about to move when the girl stopped her and said: “Do you mind staying for 5 minutes? I think we should kill that kind of mindset right now.”.

She then turned to face the boy and went: “Yes, she is a fat lady. What else do you know about her?”
The boy looked stunned and said: “Nothing. I don't know her.”
“My point exactly. Well, maybe she is a great docteur and saves lives every day. Maybe she's an amazing violin player and talk to people with music. Maybe she could beat you at Super Mario Kart. Maybe she's none of that but takes good care of her loved ones and that would be enough.
I heard you got time-out at school because you didn't behave today. Does that mean you're a bad kid? That there's nothing more to say about you?
Do you like it when people judge me because I had you at 15?
People have stories that are more interesting than you think. And it doesn't always show on them. Because you don't know anything about people, you shouldn't judge. And even when you know a lot you should refrain from judging.”

My jaw dropped at that girl's speech. She was awesome. My friend was actually crying.

She added: “What do you think you should do right now?”
The boy: “I should say I'm sorry.
The Mum: “Yes. And I think we should try and know each other. Maybe you could tell her three things about yourself and she would do the same. If that's ok?”
My friend nodded.

The boy apologized and said he played soccer and that would be his job when he grew up. My friend said that she played chess but that wasn't her job. He said that he didn't like his piano teacher. She said she didn't like hers when she was young either. He said that his favorite food was waffle. And she said that she knew 9 magic cards tricks.
He looked impressed.

The boy and her mum arrived at their station and left. It was a moment of grace.
Those two make me very hopeful for the years to come.

Thought I should share. There's hope for beating fat shaming!

Replies

• amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thats pretty great parenting right there
  • kimp475
    kimp475 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    She might have had him at 15, but she's clearly a very good mum and a decent human being, good on her. Hopefully a lesson he'll carry with him into adulthood. Thanks for sharing that, it gives us all hope!
  • consideritdonemi
    consideritdonemi Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    That story made my day. What a great mom AND human.
  • amoynoodle
    amoynoodle Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Oh my god this made ME tear up...this is a wonderful story. That woman was an amazing mother, and lets hope that boy passes what he learnt on to some of his friends too.... Children can really be very thoughtlessly mean.
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    Good for this young mother to use this as a good "teachable moment" for her young son. Children are often blunt and come off as rude because they just say what they're thinking. This mother should be commended for teaching him to be non-judgmental and empathetic.
  • anewdesign
    anewdesign Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    awesome.
  • garnerish
    garnerish Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    That mothers name?

Albert Einstein.
  • 100andOnward
    100andOnward Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Love this!
    230268 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    wonderful and uplifting :D
  • Jitteryspork
    Jitteryspork Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Gave me goosebumps.
  • cindyj7
    cindyj7 Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    Wow, that mom is wise beyond her years. I would like to think that I would think to say something like that, but... Well, maybe after hearing this story I will. Thanks for sharing.
  • LifeWithPie
    LifeWithPie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    So her 'teachable moment' about not shaming people was to shame her 7 year old child in front of strangers on a subway? Got it.
  • BoutThatBass
    Options
    Great parent - and how kind of your friend to participate in the lesson and to show such grace in response. (I can imagine it would be really hard to talk to a kid who just said something so mean, even if he's only seven!) I'm betting that little guy is going to remember that exchange for a long time.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Options
    peraverde wrote: »
    So her 'teachable moment' about not shaming people was to shame her 7 year old child in front of strangers on a subway? Got it.

I don't think she was shaming him. She was explaining there's no wrong on being who we are and that there's always more to people than meet the eyes.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    This is a awesome story. The mother will raise a fine man someday.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options

No, it's called "parenting" and "life lessons."

I suppose she should have just let her kid get away with it and said nothing. So he could grow up to be a turd. Yeah, that's the way it should have gone. Great idea!

tina-fey-eye-roll.jpg

• Allterrain_Lady
    Options

I don't think she was shaming him. She was explaining there's no wrong on being who we are and that there's always more to people than meet the eyes.

Plus, I should have said how nicely she was talking to him. He wasn't being told off at all. She was explaining something very important and deep with a sweet voice, words he could understand and concepts he could relate to.
  • ashleydawndill
    ashleydawndill Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Beautiful story. Fantastic life lesson for the boy, and great advice from the mom. People are far too quick to judge more often than not and I hope it's something everyone keeps in mind. ♥
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Awesome story. It's like one of those facebook stories where it says "now share with 10 people..." (except this one actually happened, most of them are fake). My only difference is that someone doesn't have to have calculable value such as violin player or doctor to deserve respect from others. If all she is is a person that's enough. I hope she comes on MFP!
  • Amitysk
    Amitysk Posts: 705 Member
    Options
    What a great story.