Winter Race Training

Options
My training program for the Disney Glass Slipper Challenge starts next week, I've been building my mileage back up since my hip injury so that I'll be ready to start the "real" training coming up. Monday morning I went out for my run and man, was it cold out! The weather has since warmed back up but it was a cold hard reminder of what I'm going to be running in in the next couple months.

I'm planning on running my shorter runs inside when it gets colder out (I live in New England) but I'm really hoping to be able to run the majority of my long runs outside and have been meticulously (obsessively according to my husband) researching and picking out cold weather gear for running. Does anyone have go to apparel they would recommend? I hate being cold, but I hate the hamster wheel more.

Replies

• LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    The stuff that saved me from freezing my butt off last winter was Mizuno's Breath Thermo line of gear. I got running tights, socks, hat, jacket, gloves... the stuff is amazing. As you sweat it wicks it away from your skin, but traps it in the fibers and it actually heats up. You will be cold the first mile or so, but then it kicks in nicely... I did a lot of running in single digits last year and this stuff was great....
  • LoneWolfRunner
    LoneWolfRunner Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I also used SportSlick (an anti-chafing ointment) generously on my face which helped against the wind and from drying my skin out... I can't run with anything covering my face...
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I hate having things covering my face. I'll have to try that
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Mizuno and Peral Izumi have good cold weather running stuff. My longest trail race was 10 miles, when I started the race the actual air temp was 5* with a wind chill of -30. Like others have said, first 5-7 minutes you'll feel the cold after that you'll be warm, almost hot.

Running in really cold temps is almost like you're running in a different world. If you run long enough and it's cold enough any exposed sweat will begin to freeze. Steam will come off of any exposed skin. You're in this frozen world, but you're feeling as hot as you are in the summer. It's pretty fun once you get past the initial stages. Also, when you're done get inside quick, or have some dry clothes close by.

Another tip, if you run with a phone or any electronics make sure they're covered. They don't warm up like you do.

• TAsunder
    TAsunder Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Not sure how cold you are talking about but I've run in temperatures in the 20s without any true winter gear. I just wear two to three layers on my torso and legs, a relatively warm technical head cover, and sometimes gloves (though I prefer to avoid gloves since it's a pain to mess with my phone - normally I just run with a top that has thumb holes). I have not yet ventured out much below that, though.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    If it's above 40, you'll be fine. Below, and depending on wind and other elements, I'd consider some gloves/hat/tights/etc.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Everyone responds differently to warm and cold, so I'm not going to get into "between 40 and 50, wear ____" type of conversation. As a general rule, I suggest dressing so you're chilly (not freezing) when you leave the house. That way, once you get warmed up and have a bit of a sweat going, you should be pretty comfortable.

Also, living in new england, wind may be a bigger issue than the actual temperature. Dress for the colder temps for sure... but don't forget to block the wind.

As for brands, I've had good luck with craft, mizuno, cw-x, polartec fleece, and more. Ultimately, anything made by a running/biking company with the intent of being run/biked in will probably be good. I'd suggest shopping at running stores and bike shops over sporting goods stores or department stores. IMO, good gear is worth paying extra for.

• Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, in New England there's no telling what we're going to get. We've had winters where it was in the teens almost the whole time, ones where it didn't even snow, and ones with so much snow we ran out of places to plow it to. So I'm building up my gear so that I'm good no matter what this winter throws at me. I just have to be consistent with my training so it won't really matter how cold it is (save for negatives and wind chills, rains etc.) I'll be out there. I do know when it isn't safe and will resign myself to the hamster wheel on those days
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    The rule of thumb is to dress like it's 10 degrees warmer than it is. Below about 45F I'll add tights and a long sleeve shirt. Below about 40F I'll add thin gloves. Below about 35F I'll add a light knit cap. Below about 25F I'll add a light jacket and heavier gloves. Hat and gloves tend to come off as I get warmed up.