I posted an article about thin privilege...

Lib_B
Lib_B Posts: 446 Member
edited October 2014 in Chit-Chat
And got a variety of responses. Just because you don't bully, intimidate, etc. yourself, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. And 'privilege' is just a way to be able to talk about things. If you are a white thin female, you can have white and thin privilege while also being affected by male privilege. It's just a way to look at how traits, characteristics, etc. benefit or harm (and I use 'harm' in the philosophical way - not necessarily in physical harm). I also wouldn't suggest that the effects of privilege are 'intentional.' It's mostly because we've been conditioned to believe that 'a' is better than 'b.' The best way to be rid of privilege is to recognize it.

I offer these for consideration:

http://haleymorriscafiero.com/ (a study in photographs about how strangers perceive the fat photographer)

and this http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/21/health-weight-career-forbeslife-cx_avd_0521health.html

Replies

• Aine8046
    Aine8046 Posts: 2,122 Member
    edited October 2014

http://haleymorriscafiero.com/ (a study in photographs about how strangers perceive the fat photographer)
    I do not see anything special on most of the pictures. Yes, people stare at her on some of them. You think nobody would stare if she was skinny? I think most of it is in people's heads...
  • _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Honestly, when I looked at the photographer's images I didn't see people looking at her because they think she's fat. Many of them didn't even appear to be looking at her, or if they did it seems like it was a passing glance or that something she was holding or doing briefly caught their attention. I think she's looking for judgment where it doesn't exist.
  • knitapeace
    knitapeace Posts: 1,013 Member
    edited October 2014
    Honestly, when I looked at the photographer's images I didn't see people looking at her because they think she's fat. Many of them didn't even appear to be looking at her, or if they did it seems like it was a passing glance or that something she was holding or doing briefly caught their attention. I think she's looking for judgment where it doesn't exist.

I look at a lot of people like that, when they stop dead in the middle of busy Manhattan sidewalk to get their picture taken! LOL!

Editing to stay on topic. I think it's always good when we take a step back from our ingrained assumptions and try to see things from other people's perspective, whether it's race, gender, sexual orientation, whatever. I think some people get defensive over the term "privilege," which to be fair is pretty loaded.
  • maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    edited October 2014
    That girl just looks like she was stopping in peoples way of walking, in all honesty. Only like one showed mockery of any kind....

(Though yes, i do believe thin privilege is a thing, just like the many other forms. A lot of people resist ideas of intersectionality in discussion of race/gender/sex/etc etc...for reasons i don't understand. Maybe just plain ignorance.)
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member
    Yeah, it is quite a privilege when I'm buying ice cream and people say stuff like "why bother when you are going to throw up afterwards anyway". Or when people assume I'm anorexic and make mean comments. It's a laugh a minute :)
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    edited October 2014
    Lib_B wrote: »
    And got a variety of responses. Just because you don't bully, intimidate, etc. yourself, doesn't mean that it doesn't happen. And 'privilege' is just a way to be able to talk about things. If you are a white thin female, you can have white and thin privilege while also being affected by male privilege. It's just a way to look at how traits, characteristics, etc. benefit or harm (and I use 'harm' in the philosophical way - not necessarily in physical harm). I also wouldn't suggest that the effects of privilege are 'intentional.' It's mostly because we've been conditioned to believe that 'a' is better than 'b.' The best way to be rid of privilege is to recognize it.

and this http://www.forbes.com/2008/05/21/health-weight-career-forbeslife-cx_avd_0521health.html

I have been thinking about this word: "privilege" and whether or not privilege associated with gender, race, weight, height, etc. actually exists. I think that people with any combination of characteristics will get some extra consideration for things than someone else with a different combination of characteristics.

I don't know if it equates to life advantages, or not. I think I could be convinced either way with something objective and scientific.

• maddyk91
    maddyk91 Posts: 193 Member
    dedflwrs wrote: »
    Yeah, it is quite a privilege when I'm buying ice cream and people say stuff like "why bother when you are going to throw up afterwards anyway". Or when people assume I'm anorexic and make mean comments. It's a laugh a minute :)

Ugh.

But i am sure you struggle shopping at the stores you like for sizes that fit your body. And when you watch commercials, the people in the ads more closely resemble your body image than that of a 300lb woman. You might get the occasional (yes, i said occasional) comment, but that doesn't take away from your overall privilege in society.
  • dedflwrs
    dedflwrs Posts: 251 Member

Ugh.

But i am sure you struggle shopping at the stores you like for sizes that fit your body. And when you watch commercials, the people in the ads more closely resemble your body image than that of a 300lb woman. You might get the occasional (yes, i said occasional) comment, but that doesn't take away from your overall privilege in society.

I still don't understand how is that a privilege? Would the solution be that when I go shopping there be no clothing that fits me and that all shows and commercials on TV feature 300 lb women? Would that make it fair? Clothing and TV programming are all about selling a product, right? They will sell to the majority. People usually make products for profit and not to make others feel well. It sounds cruel but that's what you do if you want to keep your business successful or at least afloat

I have, among other businesses, a clothing store. I do carry plus size clothing but it is really hard for me to find stuff in plus sizes that I like to sell. I've go to the trade shows and funny thing: I have found clothes designers that are overweight themselves and yet they make smaller sizes. Why is that? Probably because it sells better. In my own store I sell way more smaller sizes than larger even though it is gothic clothing, which has a reputation for appealing to bigger people. If I had nothing but plus sizes in my store I might not be able to survive. It's not cruelty or social comment, it's just pragmatism
  • BigT555
    BigT555 Posts: 2,068 Member
    "privilege" is just bitching about your own life. lifes tough, deal with it instead of taking everyone else down to your level by talking about how privileged everyone around you is and throwing a pity party.

guess what? theres a bright side to every situation, but anyone who uses the word privilege in this sense is looking in the opposite direction
  • 1Cor1510
    1Cor1510 Posts: 413 Member
    I think "privilege" is just a loaded word. Everyone is judged by their appearance. Period. When you meet someone on the street, until you get to know them, you make basic assumptions immediately. I read the Forbes article, and I believe that weight may have played a role in my career trajectory. I gained about 50 lbs after having my kids, and when I went for a promotion I was denied. I re-interviewed for the same position a year ago, 50lbs lighter and got it. Was it solely because of the 50lbs weight gain? NO.

It wasn't the weight holding me back per se, it was the UNDERLYING issues that I was "dealing with" that not only caused me to put on the weight (having kids yes, lack of confidence and depression kept it on for about 6 years), and the new found confidence I had when I went back to the interview a year ago. An employer is going to judge and applicant not only on ability, but more recently I have heard many employers find that the person fitting the overall culture of the company is just as important. If they meet an applicant for a demanding job and feel their emotional state may be an issue due to overweight/underweight confidence issues, it may cause them pause.

This is reality folks. You are not a victim unless you want to be. I have no idea what white/black skinny/fat privilege is, because those I may think would be classified as privileged may have many more struggles than I do.