weighing stuff?

Options
Hi All. I am getting a scale soon (waiting for it to be delivered), so I can start weighing my food. But I don't know how! I am at a loss for like fruits and veggies. If it says 1 cup of veggies, does that mean its 8 oz on a scale? Or do you have to measure your fruits and veggies in a measuring cup? I'm just not clear on this.

Replies

• KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Select items from the food data base that are in grams not cups. There is always an option for 1g increments.

ETA if you are following a recipe that asks for cup measurements then you could fill your cup as you normally would for the recipe, but then weigh it on the scale for a more accurate reading to put in your food diary. Alternatively find conversion amounts and use grams instead of cups in your recipes.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    "One cup" means nothing. It's an arbitrary measurement. You'll want to weigh in grams. Look for database entries such as "broccoli raw"...when you go to enter the serving size, click on "one cup" (that seems to be the default measurement) and you'll see other options listed. Select the 100.0 g option. If your broccoli weighs 147 grams, you'd enter 1.47 servings.
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    I would ignore the database entries that dont have a weight option. Most common items have a dry measure, liquid measure and a weight option in the serving size dropdown.
  • hummerjl
    hummerjl Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For things like veggies, you can often learn to eyeball things. 1 cup is generally the size of your fist, or a tennis ball. What I use my scale for mostly is things like cheese, nuts, etc. And I only use it until I get a hang of what 1oz of shredded cheese looks like, etc.
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    Options
    I made all my own entries for most of the food I use, and they are in either grams or ounces.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Select only the entries with weight (grams).

For example, carrots raw. Should give you an entry without an * and then from the pulldown menu on servings you change it to the option that says 100g. So then, if say you have 115g of carrots you enter 1.15 servings of 100g
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    The entries that a from MFP (those without the *) all have a 100 gram option. For other ones, if you can't find it in grams make your own entry. I wish MFP would add a weight spot for the serving size since that is what was used to determine calories, not the estimated size such as 1 cup, 20 chips, or whatever.
  • rlwilson1967
    rlwilson1967 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Ok, so veggies and fruit are weighed in grams. Is meat weighed in oz's or grams?
  • jkwolly
    jkwolly Posts: 3,049 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Ok, so veggies and fruit are weighed in grams. Is meat weighed in oz's or grams?
    I usually weigh mine in ounces, but it really doesn't matter.

• rlwilson1967
    Options
    I think my eyeballing it is easier .... but I really don't know how much I'm eating, and that is bothering me! Thanks again for the input! Its highly appreciated!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,157 Member
    Options
    I weight everything in grams.
  • _runnerbean_
    _runnerbean_ Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    hummerjl wrote: »
    For things like veggies, you can often learn to eyeball things. 1 cup is generally the size of your fist, or a tennis ball. What I use my scale for mostly is things like cheese, nuts, etc. And I only use it until I get a hang of what 1oz of shredded cheese looks like, etc.

You can learn to eyeball after a while but it's good to go back to weighing every now and again so you don't let those portion sizes creep back up.
    When you are using the scale use the "tare" option. Put your plate or bowl on the scale- press tare (or zero depending on your scale) then put your food on the plate. It saves having to subtract the weight of the plate.
  • rainbowblu
    rainbowblu Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I never see items without the * how far down do you all have to scroll?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • shadowofender
    shadowofender Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    I weigh everything in grams as it's a smaller unit of measurement and can be more accurate. Once in a while I can find an entry in only OZ and that's ok, I'll use that. My scale is lovely and will tell me both so I don't have to do the conversions.
  • rlwilson1967
    Options
    thanks! that link was very helpful! I guess its a learning curve on this measuring/weighing thing. I'll get it, but I sure do appreciate the input!
  • pattyjoshockley
    pattyjoshockley Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I don't measure my fresh fruits and vegtables. I try to get at least 5 servings a day. I do eyeball how much and eat a reasonable portion. I measure quite carefully my fats, proteins and carbs. I track everything I eat. I did WW for a while and stick mainly with what they call power foods. Fruits, veg lean protein, beans and complex carbs.

I have found that I am more successful at the scale when I am careful with measuring the fats, proteins and carbs.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you can figure it out.