Beginner Swimmers

Options
Anyone out there who has recently started to swim as a new workout?
I just started on Monday and LOVE it.

500M in 31 minutes, after not swimming for 5-6 years, I was pretty impressed with myself.
Looking to connect with people who are taking this up! Need some great motivation to make personal challenges for myself.

Going again tonight to see if I can swim more lengths in 31 minutes! :)

Replies

• vamaena
    vamaena Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    I used to swim weeknights after my shift (since there was a pool next to my work) but I haven't gone in years. I have been thinking about starting up again on Mondays and Wednesdays. I remember it being a great workout. I felt so relaxed afterwards too!
  • forksie
    forksie Posts: 28
    Options
    I will be going Monday and Wednesdays :) If you decide to go let me know!
    It's awesome and I slept so well afterwards :)
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Congrats, 500m for a first workout is good! It hurts me to go that distance sometimes after a particularly wicked lifting session.
  • sjbuescher
    sjbuescher Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I swam competitively in the past and am just now getting back into it - if you need some tailored workouts I really like using speedo pace club. There's an app but it doesn't work anymore, but I still like writing down the workouts and using them in the pool. I do better when I have a structure to my swims :)
  • forksie
    forksie Posts: 28
    Options
    I'll have to check out and see if the internet has any swimming challenges! It would be fun to do! I am definitely swimming twice a week, and seeing how many KM I can reach by the end of October, 500 M is 1.5 KM :) Hoping to get further tonight .
  • kopking1977
    kopking1977 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Hey and well done all of you. Iv been away from swimming for 20 years and just got back into it. Did a half hour swim 3 weeks ago and managed 71 lengths, got an hour one on Saturday, (which I'm dreading). I'm a sprinter, well I was, but I'm finding the weight pouring off me which continually encourages me.
  • whitneywarpath
    Options
    I just joined my university's swim team 6 weeks ago, it's pretty exciting (even though I'm the worst one on the team). I had never been on a team before this. :)
  • Baumanette
    Baumanette Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Picked up swimming recently- love it. I'm horrible. Need to perfect my form so I'm more effective. Good full body workout!
  • UncreativeMe123
    UncreativeMe123 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I recently started taking swim lessons, and almost barely have free style down :) Going twice a week, and will start going three times a week once I can learn a second stroke. What kind of strokes do you guys prefer?
  • LovingLife_Erin
    LovingLife_Erin Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    forksie wrote: »
    I'll have to check out and see if the internet has any swimming challenges! It would be fun to do! I am definitely swimming twice a week, and seeing how many KM I can reach by the end of October, 500 M is 1.5 KM :) Hoping to get further tonight .

There are 1000m in 1 km... So 500m is half a km.

I used to be a lifeguard, and play watepolo, but stopped swimming after a neck injury. I've gotten back into it, and am doing a 2.5 km swimathon in April. I'm hoping to get as close to 1 hour as possible, as I now do roughly 2 km in an hour.

Great job everyone in swimming! It's the best. :)
  • dougpconnell219
    dougpconnell219 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a sprint triathlon, so I'll be doing lots of swimming soon.

Unfortunately, my gym doesn't have a pool, so I'll have to find a place to play. I'm thinking maybe the health center at the local I University will let me see swim cheap, as I am alumni.

That is heartening that you were able to knock 500m out after a long hiatus. My swim leg is only 400m, and I used to be a great swimmer. Now I just gotta worry about biking and especially running!
  • DairyBelle
    DairyBelle Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I also used to swim competitively in high school and my freshman year in college but have been out of the pool for quite awhile. I am looking forward to figuring out a workout schedule at my Y. Looking back, I think it was a great stress reliever for me. Congrats on your first time back. Very impressive. I hope to be able to go at least 10 minutes! Lol!