High Fat Low Carb help!

Options
JasmineSoper
JasmineSoper Posts: 12 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all :) I am a 22 yr old female at 5ft1 and 194lbs  (13st 12lbs)
I am trying a ketogenic as a lifestyle change not a fad. It has been just under 2 weeks and I feel better already with less carbs! Don't get me wrong I have had my slip ups and days where I have gone over my carbs etc however I am very pleased with how well I have managed given I have gone cold turkey on bread, potatoes, pasta etc etc.
I have set my goal at 1200 calories a day and usually burn about 300 calories on average using a pedometer. My BMR is approx 1600.
My question is do you think this is too little? Too many? I get really confused with net calories, do I eat back the exercise calories?
I always without fail drink at least 3 litres of water a day so I don't log it on mfp. I am worried that my intake is all wrong. Please help! Thank you.

Replies

• mcpostelle
    mcpostelle Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    With keto its not really about counting calories, but rather counting carbs. Yes, I think 1200 is too low. I eat 1850-2100 and still lose weight (5'5). Check out the keto forms on here. Also have you used a keto calculator to determine your macros and such?
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    It's still about calories. I would probably eat a bit more, if you're confident in your logging (i.e., food scale). You're young and somewhat active - 1200 seems pretty low.
  • KylaDenay
    KylaDenay Posts: 1,585 Member
    Options
    I think 1200 is too low also. Even though you are following keto, you should still keep track of your calories. Maybe you should set your goal to lose 1.5 lbs and see how many calories that gives you. If following the MFP method make sure that you are eating back at least 50% to 75% of your exercise calories.

You can also follow the TDEE method where your exercise calories are calculated in your daily deficit and you eat the same amount daily. http://iifym.com/iifym-calculator/ that link can help you with TDEE.
  • wkwebby
    wkwebby Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    If your BMR (base metabolic rate) is 1600, this should be the minimum number of calories if you were to sit on the couch or sleep all day long and still burn. Therefore, eat at least this number (or whatever your BMR is) and then some. You're better off trying to do the TDEE and taking away what you want to lose (proper percentage). Eat back 50-80% of your exercise calories (if you're using BMR + exercise/movement calories). If you're using TDEE method, your number changes every day (dependent upon what you've done), then subtract out what you want percentage-wise.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    wkwebby wrote: »
    If your BMR (base metabolic rate) is 1600, this should be the minimum number of calories if you were to sit on the couch or sleep all day long and still burn. Therefore, eat at least this number (or whatever your BMR is) and then some. You're better off trying to do the TDEE and taking away what you want to lose (proper percentage). Eat back 50-80% of your exercise calories (if you're using BMR + exercise/movement calories). If you're using TDEE method, your number changes every day (dependent upon what you've done), then subtract out what you want percentage-wise.

It doesn't really work that way. It's erroneous to think that by eating under your BMR you're somehow depriving your body of the energy to carry out your basic functions. Even if you eat under your BMR, your body still burns your TDEE in calories every day (well over your BMR) - it's just getting those calories from your fat stores. In other words, your body can pull energy from sources other than your dietary caloric intake, and your body will still come up with the energy it needs unless your deficit becomes very extreme relative to the amount of fat you're storing.

BMR is not some health-mandated minimum number of calories you can consume though. That's just an all-too-common misunderstanding.
  • JasmineSoper
    Options
    mcpostelle wrote: »
    With keto its not really about counting calories, but rather counting carbs. Yes, I think 1200 is too low. I eat 1850-2100 and still lose weight (5'5). Check out the keto forms on here. Also have you used a keto calculator to determine your macros and such?

I haven't used a keto calculator I have just looked at what other people are doing. I have my macros set at 5% carb 70% fat and 25% protein. Where can I find a calculator? Thank you so much for your help I appreciate it
  • wkwebby
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    wkwebby wrote: »

It doesn't really work that way. It's erroneous to think that by eating under your BMR you're somehow depriving your body of the energy to carry out your basic functions. Even if you eat under your BMR, your body still burns your TDEE in calories every day (well over your BMR) - it's just getting those calories from your fat stores. In other words, your body can pull energy from sources other than your dietary caloric intake, and your body will still come up with the energy it needs unless your deficit becomes very extreme relative to the amount of fat you're storing.

BMR is not some health-mandated minimum number of calories you can consume though. That's just an all-too-common misunderstanding.

True enough, but as a lifestyle change, this is not exactly the type of thing you should recommend either. She will eventually have little to no fat stores if she is eating under her BMR for an extended period of time. So unless she is obese or morbidly obese, this isn't the type of thing that should be recommended.
  • JasmineSoper
    Options
    parkscs wrote: »
    It's still about calories. I would probably eat a bit more, if you're confident in your logging (i.e., food scale). You're young and somewhat active - 1200 seems pretty low.

I set it to 1200 as that seems to be the "weight loss" number you always hear. I worry that I will overeat because I am a sales manager so am office bound all day. I have a Samsung Gear Fit that counts my steps hence the 300 cals a day approx. That is literally back and forth to the warehouse, going to toilet etc. Thank you for your reply :smile:
  • wkwebby
    Options
    iifym.com/bmr-calculator/
    This link is just one of many. There are a lot of useful calculators on that site too.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    Drinking plenty of water while on keto is important!

I personally eat back half of my exercise calories. I don't know why you're eating under your BMR either. I would up your calories a bit and then eat back half of your exercise calories.

As time goes on, keto is easier and easier to stick to. A little bit of carbs here or there can keep you out of ketosis, making it harder for you to stick to your calories. But, if so far its working for you, great!

I would also check out some of the keto and low carb forums. They'll have some good information and also some recipe ideas.
  • pknjhh
    pknjhh Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I just used a bodybuilding coach to get my meal plan, workouts and supplements regimen. It worked out great for me. Learning so much more about nutrition as I go. Definitely figured out that most people really do not understand nutrition and proper dieting. I did it on my own for years. Learned more in last year then my 10 years of trial and error.
  • nill4me
    nill4me Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'd also do some more reading on the subject in general. The art and science of low carbohydrate living is a great place to start. Keto Clarity is also not a bad read. Hitting an appropriate proportion of protein is important....especially in the first few weeks. Good Luck!
  • JasmineSoper
    Options
    Thank you all so much for your help. Nill4me I will definitely have a look at those! I appreciate the support from all of you, many thanks