First Half Marathon

Options
I need some advice, but I also wanted to try out the new forums! :smiley: And now I'm disappointed by the choices of smiley faces...

Anyway, I just registered for my first half marathon! Like an hour ago! It's not until February 15th, so I have given myself plenty of time to prepare. I run a minimum of 15 miles a week, but I've recently upped my milage and I'm at about 19 miles per week. My longest run to date was 6.6 miles in 1 hours and 34 seconds, so about half the distance of a half marathon.
My goal is to run my half marathon in 2 hours (or less... but I'm going to set the more realistic goal of 2 hours).

I've got 129 days according to the countdown, which is about 18 weeks.
I'd really love to train efficiently and effectively prepare myself for my first half. I'd love to hear some advice from those who have been through this. What helped? What mistakes are commonly made? Do you bring water with you? Do you use any energy supplements? (is that what you call them? Example: Gu Energy Gels, which were recommended to me by my former trainer.) I've been doing some strength training, mostly upper body, is it going to hinder my training to continue this?
I feel like I have a lot of time to prepare and I'm not really nervous about not being able to do it- I'd just like to know from others what I can be doing now to help me reach my goal in the most healthy and effective way.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    2 hours is not realistic in that amount of training time.
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Hm, really? I know it will be difficult but I didn't think it was impossible. I figured since I can run 6.6 miles in 1 hour 34 seconds, within the next 18 weeks, I could achieve that time. What do you think would be a more realistic time?
  • alikonda
    alikonda Posts: 2,358 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    For determining a realistic race time - race a 5k and use that as a benchmark. :grinning:

I ran my first 2 half marathons averaging only 15-20 miles/week so you should be in good shape as far as conditioning goes. Just make sure you work on that long run!

I find that I don't need energy supplements during a half marathon race, but you should experiment on your longer runs (9 or 10 miles) to see what works best for your body. I was eating Gu before the start for some quick carbs, but I find that on longer excursions this causes me some GI distress later. I've recently started using Pocket Fuel "Chocolate Haze" and have found it to be a fabulous replacement. (It's like eating Nutella before my runs!!)
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    For your first ever race at that distance, don't set a time goal. Just go out there and finish it. Best case, you do better than you though. Worst case, you make a ton of mistakes, learn from them, and are motivated to do another one. True story. Bottom line - 6mi training run a half marathon does not make. Perhaps when you get to the 11-12mi range, you can make a more accurate assessment of your race day performance.

To all of your other questions about what to bring with you, I say "nothing, nothing, and nothing." Strength training is good too.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Given what you've said about your longest run thus far 2 hours is probably optimistic, although if you use the Macmillan calculator that'll give you some indications.

Other than that, get hold of a training plan; Runners World, Higdon etc and work to that. Most are in the order of 12-16 weeks long so you've got some contingency in there.

The main thing I'd say is try to do as much of your training on the type of terrain that you are racing on. I did my first HM on Sunday on trails. I'd done a lot of trail training ands till found it tough, someone who'd only trained on roads would have been wiped out by it.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Do you have a training schedule to follow? There are a lot of good schedules out there that incorporate long runs, intervals, hills, cross training, rest days, etc. That's a good place to start.

2 hours is a pretty lofty goal for a beginner but if you work really really hard, you could do it.

I personally prefer Gu Chomps over gels for my long runs, and I do wear a running belt if I'm out for 90 mins or more. Nutrition and hydration are a personal preference and everyone has a different way of doing things. Experiment and see what you prefer, you've got plenty of time to figure it out. Just don't mess around with this too close to race day.

Common mistakes:

Top of the list is running too fast. I'm a fairly experienced runner and I still make this mistake, particularly on race day when the adrenaline is running high. I have to make a conscious effort to slow down. Keep that in mind during training too. If you program calls for a certain pace during a training run, keep to that pace even if it feels too slow.

Hydration before running: a lot of people think they can chug water the day of a run and be okay, but it's more important to hydrate the day before. Or better yet, just hydrate all the time and you don't have to think about it.

Another common mistake for beginners - wrong shoes. Spend the time and money to get fitted for a proper pair of shoes. Go to a running store, not a sporting goods store, and have the professionals observe your gait and fit you properly.

Keep up with the strength training, it's important, but don't overdo it. If you're training for a half, that should be your focus.
  • krislshoe
    krislshoe Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Like the other posters said i would focus on finishing the 13.1 and not necessarily go for a time goal. I can easily run 6 miles in under an hour but my best half marathon time so far is 2 hrs and 6 min. Those last 6 miles are definitely harder than the first 6.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    As others have said, 2 hours may be a bit of a stretch. A half marathon is not simply double the distance of a 10k. McMillan would put you somewhere in the 2:10-2:15 range.

But yeah, first race is generally to get a time and work out race day. After you can assess what went well, what went wrong, and what you need to do in training to address the issues (as in - was there no hope of a negative split? Did you go out to fast? Train on the wrong surface? Did you feel well but die in the last two miles?)

Strength training is good - do core work and things like lunges and squats to correct any muscle imbalances you may have and to give you flexibility in your hips.

I don't train with gels etc (unless its a long trail run or I'm testing something out). If you feel you need something, that's fine, just try it out during your long runs. Its actually good to set up your long runs just like race day. Find out how much/what you like to eat before (and how long you need to digest). See what you like to eat the night before. Try out clothes. Once you find a routine that works, stick to it and don't try anything new on race day.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    Add a sequentially longer run every other week and you will be fine. I would not be surprised if you came in under two hours but I would not make it a primary goal. Make sure you get fitted for the proper shoes and have fun.

The one tip I've learned to help me keep pace is to try and make the second half of the race faster than the first. When I keep that in mind, it helps me slow down for the first few exhilarating miles.

I've ran several half marathons and I'm about to run my second full marathon. My goals is simply not to die during the race. Pulse? Win!!
  • JengaJess
    JengaJess Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the responses! While I know doubling my 6.6 mile time isn't exactly how it works, I guess I was just thinking optimistically that if I keep up with my training, I'll be able to improve that time. But I'm learning that this might not be exactly true.
    As much as I probably should listen to all of you who are suggesting that I make my goal more about completion and less about time, I'm a very goal oriented person and I like to have something to work towards. I think I'll scarp my 2 hour goal and reassess after I start my 11 mile runs. Then I will be setting a more accurate time goal (probably closer to 2:20) because I, personally, need some kind of goal to work toward.
    I'll definitely experiment with the gels, because I think they could be helpful for me. But it's good to know a lot of you don't use them. I was going to blow 26 bucks on a month's supply, but I think I'll just get a couple of samples when I start my 11 mile runs and see how I react to them.
    I've looked into a lot of training schedules, and I've pretty much modified a bunch of them to fit into my schedule. I'll be adding a little bit to each run every week, adding about 2 miles to my runs by the end of each month. When I laid it out on paper, it looked great but I'll definitely be reassessing this when I get about 12 weeks away from the half marathon.
    I worked with a trainer when I first started running and he really helped me with my pacing issues. I had tried to start running several times over the past few years and I was always ended up being one of those people who just started off too quick. Now I've got a pretty good handle on my pace when I'm running on my own, but I am a little worried about how the race adrenaline will affect me. I was so excited for my first 5k that I ran it WAY faster than I thought I could and WAY faster than I had run in my training for it, which wasn't a problem because it was a short race. I just hope I don't fall victim to that during my half. I'll keep that in mind.
    Thanks so much for all your help. You guys rock.

One more question: My buddy works at a running store that does fitting and tests and all that awesome stuff. I'm definitely going there for new shoes. I just don't know when. I don't want to buy them too early and wear them out prior to the race, but I want to break them in. I was thinking of getting them at the end of November? Any suggestions?
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I think shooting for 2:10-2:20 is a good goal. I would not be surprised if after a good training session, you're near 2 hours, but it would suck to make 2 hours your goal and then be upset if you don't make it despite the fact that 2:10 is a great time, especially for your first race.

As far as shoes - you shouldn't need to 'break in' the right pair of shoes. And each shoe will have a different total recommended mileage. Some shoes you can get 1000 miles out of. Some only 300. I track my shoe mileage, but I can tell when I need new ones. Usually I start getting mild knee or hip pain without having a hitch in my stride. Then I will check my mileage and sure enough, it will be time to change. A standard, traditional running shoe will generally make it about 500 miles before needing replacement.
  • LaraeTX
    LaraeTX Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    I've done 6 half marathons, and the Austin Marathon (used to be Livestrong) was my 1st and 3rd. Are you doing that one or the 3M? If you are doing those, check out the route and train on that route. I wish I could have because the 12th mile hill was a killer in the Austin half, but I hear the 3M is a flatter course. As for pre and mid race fueling, I live the honey stingers chews, I like the pomegranate flavor the best. Definitely train with them before you start race day with them.
  • SonicDeathMonkey80
    SonicDeathMonkey80 Posts: 4,489 Member
    Options
    The starting off too quick thing is something a lot of people struggle with. Heck, I raced a 10K last weekend and started off too fast. Noobs shouldn't be concerned with pace so much as they should be concerned with learning how to run properly - stride, cadence, and effort management. Stress about one thing at a time :)

Regarding shoes, if you haven't been fit yet and are running, that is priority #1. With you peaking around ~30MPW by Feb, I don't see you needing a new pair of shoes come race day. Might be close, but I think you'll be good.
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    You need shoes now. It's not something you put on just for race day.

I typically always carry carbs with me...I prefer the G1 chews. However, I try to train fasted. I have a history of hypoglycemia, so I always have food with me anyway. I only use the carbs if my blood sugar drops. I tend to race without them as well...I find I don't have fuel issues with just 13 miles.

Also, since you're goal oriented, here's your goal: Finish. Run 13.1 miles. Then use that time to set your next goal.
  • runner359
    runner359 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    You have a strong base. I think you'll be fine. Only caution is don't up the mileage per week to0 fast even when it feels like you can. ITB injuries happen pretty suddenly and are hard to come back in a short period of time -like when your first half is coming up soon. Oh and if the half has hills train for hills.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    JengaJess wrote: »
    As much as I probably should listen to all of you who are suggesting that I make my goal more about completion and less about time, I'm a very goal oriented person and I like to have something to work towards. I think I'll scarp my 2 hour goal and reassess after I start my 11 mile runs. Then I will be setting a more accurate time goal (probably closer to 2:20) because I, personally, need some kind of goal to work toward.

To give you my experience, I currently run a 52 minute 10K and I was originally aiming to pick up a 1:50HM. About 7 weeks ago I started suffering some kind of health issue that left me less able to train, exacerbated by some medication that I went onto. I was on about half my goal mileage for six weeks. As a result I really had to reassess my goals, and at one point it became just finishing, never mind the time. I even approaches the point of thinking about a Galloway approach.

Once I'd got the all clear to run I pushed out a long run to give myself some confidence, and give me a judge of time. That meant I went into the race with a goal of 2:15, and I finished in 2:07 in the end.

The main thing now is learning some lessons from the whole thing and improving things for the next one.
    I don't want to buy them too early and wear them out prior to the race, but I want to break them in. I was thinking of getting them at the end of November? Any suggestions?

Depending on your weight and gait your shoes should have a life of somewhere between 300-500 miles. So in theory one pair should get you through HM training, although you'll be racing in shoes that are near the end of their life at that point. Personally I rotate several pairs, two pairs each of road and trail, partly to give them a chance to recover from the sessions and partly to avoid having to transition from old to new when I need to replace them.
  • 5512bf
    5512bf Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    2 hours is a perfect goal. You have 4 months to prepare. Most novice/intermediate half training plans are 12 weeks long and typically max out on pace runs at 10k-15k which is where your base is at. If you can follow a training plan and build the mileage slowly you'll do just fine. Look at Hal Higdon's novice 2 or Inter. 1 plan. Personally i'd stay in that 15-18 mile weekly range if you are comfortable with it for a few more weeks until you start whichever plan you decide to go with. I wouldn't do too many long runs over that 6 mile mark if you are going to do it at that goal pace. I'd slow your long runs down to 9:45-10:00 and build your endurance and time your on your feet. A good long run should be held at a comfortable pace you could carry on a conversation with a training partner.
  • hermann341
    hermann341 Posts: 443 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    This is a good page for calculating expected performance:

http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/racepaces/rp?metres=10000&hr=1&min=00&sec=00&age=24&gender=F&Submit=Calculate

Shooting for a 2 hour finish will be challenging, but I think it is doable.
  • elleloch
    elleloch Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I agree that you shouldn't put a time goal on your first half. Run one, then run another and work to improve :)

I am running my second half this weekend. I only RUN once a week. During the rest of the week I use home fitness programs to cross-train/build strength. They vary from yoga-inspired, weight training to high intensity interval cardio. Training your body in all areas can only help you, I've found. When I was exclusively running I wasn't in as good shape as I am now.

There are plenty of training programs you can follow (like Hal Higdon, etc) so get on your google and find one that you think works well for you. Since I only run once a week I just up my mileage a little bit each week leading up to the race. I ran ten miles this past weekend. My friend sent me a book called "Four Months to a Four Hour Marathon" by Dave Kuehls. It's a good book with lots of good stuff in there- not just for marathoners but runners in general.

I never bring water with me on a run. I just make sure I am fully hydrated all the time. You should aim for at least half your weight in ounces every day. During the race they will have water stops, etc. Drink a bit at those, but don't go overboard.

I've taken Gu on race courses since that's typically what I've encountered but I personally use Sport Beans for my training runs. They seem to work fine for me.
  • OnionMomma
    OnionMomma Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I just finished my first half this passed weekend. My goal was just to finish.

That really is the only goal you need for your first half. And to boot, I was clocking more miles than 19 per week when I started half training.

Remember, it's not about time you first big race, it's about the finish.