Somedays I'm Just Not that Hungry

Options
Ok. So here's my delima. I am on a 1710- calorie a day plan. Somedays I fall way short of my goal. Since im diabetic I have to also watch my carbs and sugar intake. Sometimes I'm as much as 400-500 calories short. I can't load up on carbs and thats a heck of alot of veggies and lean protien to try and fit in. I have been excercising daily and it seems the more I work out the less hungry I am. I know I need to eat to lose weight but some days I just can't. Any suggestions?

Replies

• jillmarie125
    jillmarie125 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    are you weighing everything? you might be hitting your goals and not know it. If you are positive you are not netting 1700, then i would add some higher calorie foods to your meals. Nuts, Nut Butters, Oils....

I am hungry all the time... but if I wasnt, i would just eat spoonfuls on peanut butter
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Agree that you should be weighing and measuring everything to make sure you are truly eating what you are recording. Often we underestimate what we're eating (we assume we're eating a cup of rice when it's actually 1.5 cups), so you may actually be closer to your goal than you think.

If you are weighing everything, you could look into adding nuts, nut butters, protein shakes, and/or full fat dairy.
  • madeleineld
    madeleineld Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I've had a similar issue--was finding myself having a bunch of 1000 calorie days and was mystified. Here's what helped me a little:
    - Planning ahead--some people here really like prelogging. I haven't gotten that far, but having some food in mind that you'll eat the next day can help (especially if you're the kind of person who "forgets to eat" and realizes lunchtime has slipped away)
    - I had to start forcing myself to eat more earlier on in the day. I realized that earlier in the day, I was so enthusiastically trying to eat healthy that I'd get home and still have 1,000+ calories to get through. I never felt comfortable cramming that much in one meal right before bed. So now I make sure I'm hitting a good number before 3 PM or so, I feel better about cramming in an afternoon snack than I do about eating two dinners.

I don't know if you can relate to this, but I'm sure I RARELY ate this much before this go on My Fitness Pal. I think I tried so hard to switch my brain into healthy eating mode that it went overboard. I'd be sitting there like "ugh, I need 400 more calories"--meanwhile the Madeleine of two months ago is like "WHAT did you try ordering another DOMINOS PIZZA?". I've been working on eating more without feeling weird about it.

But yeah, one of my go-to low carb snacks is a big portion of roasted vegetables with vegetable oil or coconut oil--the oil is a good calorie booster.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes
  • MistressPi
    MistressPi Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Can't see a downside to not being hungry. If you do get hungry and you're low on calories, I suggest adding some good fats - adding more butter or ghee, coconut oil, animal fat to your cooking, eating macadamia nuts, adding cream to your soups, shakes or coffee - these should not spike your blood sugar.
    Here are some ideas for adding healthy calories:

Chicken with the skin
    Steak
    Cheese
    Whole eggs (including deviled eggs, egg salad)
    Full fat dairy (including cottage cheese, yogurt)
    low sugar Fruit
    Peanut butter or other nut butters
    Nuts
    Avocado
    Dried fruit (raisins, apricots, apples)
    Dark chocolate
    Salmon
    Add Chia seeds to salads or yogurt
    Olive oil
    Smoothies
    Granola/sports nutrition bars
    Whole grains or whole grain products (like brown rice, Quinoa, oatmeal)
    Beans and legumes

• lovelayla
    lovelayla Posts: 123
    Options
    If you are not hungry then don't eat,trust your body and its signals,as long as you are not eating too low too often,then I don't see a problem with it.
  • lolly715
    lolly715 Posts: 106
    Options
    Add healthy fats, definitely. As an example, if you have oatmeal in the morning, stirring in a tablespoon of nut butter won't really add any bulk but does add nearly 100 calories. If you have salads, add avocado and/or use an oil based dressing rather than a lower calorie one. Again, there could be nearly 100 calories for a tablespoon of full fat dressing. Same with dinner - dress your veggies, add a cream sauce to your proteins, etc.
  • 20yearsyounger
    20yearsyounger Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    lovelayla wrote: »
    If you are not hungry then don't eat,trust your body and its signals,as long as you are not eating too low too often,then I don't see a problem with it.

+1

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    Some days I'm over the goal and some days I'm under it. If it all balances out in the end, I don't care. :) Days I work out more, I'm less hungry. Then the next day, I'm way hungrier.

I'm just not equally hungry every single day and refuse to force-feed myself on Tuesday and then go to bed hungry on Wednesday, KWIM?
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Poor you.
  • ballardf
    ballardf Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks jillMarie125. The peanut butter suggestion is a great idea. I am weighing and measuring everything. I had thought about adding something like Glucerna.
  • ballardf
    ballardf Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for all the wonderful advice. I guess I wasn't prepared to not be hungry some days. I've gotten to the point where I can now have a little of this or a little of that and not want to eat the whole darn thing so I guess I can start adding some healthy variety. THANKS!!!!!
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I'd like to mention something else to give some thought... From a biochem point of view, it seems your body isn't producing ghrelin in correct levels assuming your body needs the amount of calories you are ingesting during the day. The reasons for that are beyond the appropriate length of a post here but I encourage you to go do some reading and perhaps a visit to the doc as well to cover all bases. Good luck.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 1410 but have had a lot of 1,000 days these last 2 weeks. Sometimes enough is just enough. I've been able to work out, not be hungry, focus and be super happy. I don't think it's that big a deal. Some days your body just DOESNT want it.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Poor you.

I ain't mad about it (yet) but I desperately wish I could have this problem. Me and a jar of cashew nuts. Problem solved