Best Body Fat Calculator (at home)

Options
My Fitbit is on the fritz so I am looking to move to a TDEE/IIFYM plan.

Best way to calculate Body Fat %? I am relatively lean for my weight (I think), so I get varying answers. I carry most of my fat in my torso, inner thigh, and upper/inner arms.

Using the more basic body fat calculator (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/) I am around 39% but using others that allow for additional measurements for example (http://www.bmi-calculator.net/body-fat-calculator/) it comes in around 27%.

Help! I honestly could care less at this point what the number is (I'm happily moseying along on my weight loss/strength training, although slower than most ;)), just want to find the most accurate way (at home). I'm not just trying to find the lowest number to look better!

Using the IIFYM Calculator, and lean mass formula, the difference in TDEE is 2363 cal (39%) to 2721 (27%). My head is saying go with the 39% and lower cal to be safe.

Weight - 208
Height - 5"5"
Waist - 34/34.5
Hips - 43/43.5
Wrist - 6"
Forearm - 11"
Female, 26 yo

Those are a bit old but still pretty accurate.

27234981.png

Replies

• AmZam05
    AmZam05 Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've read a lot about measuring body fat % and it really is difficult to get an accurate reading. You saw yourself how you can get multiple answers that vary drastically depending on which method you use. Generally visual approximation will be your best bet. Google "women's body fat percentage" and check out the images and see which one you think you are closest to.

Also, the TDEE -20% method is great. I highly recommend it!
  • arrrrjt
    arrrrjt Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Thank you! The TDEE -20% is similar to the modifications after my Fitbit calories were included, so I think that moving forward it will work well.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Look in the mirror while naked.
  • Ms_Lemgo
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    Look in the mirror while naked.

What an *kitten*!

• danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    Omg, I can't believe it! Our stats are almost identical, height and measurements wise. Funny enough I have the same question about body fat percentage....
    My last test was when I weighed 246lb back in April( at the gym with a handheld bio impedance tester) and I was at 40%. I plan to take another test soon with the InBody 230 and see how it changed after dropping 41lb.
    For reference, I do like the pictures on Google for visual estimation.
    Good luck !!!
  • danelutza19
    danelutza19 Posts: 2,025 Member
    Options
    ntt20xcimx97.jpg
  • arrrrjt
    Options
    Omg, I can't believe it! Our stats are almost identical, height and measurements wise. Funny enough I have the same question about body fat percentage....
    My last test was when I weighed 246lb back in April( at the gym with a handheld bio impedance tester) and I was at 40%. I plan to take another test soon with the InBody 230 and see how it changed after dropping 41lb.
    For reference, I do like the pictures on Google for visual estimation.
    Good luck !!!
    Thanks! I'll see if my gym has that option (I'm sure it does, but I prefer to run in, get my workout in and head out with minimal interaction). I would say I'd be between 30-35% now based on the above photos, my legs are really pretty toned from football (other than that pesky inner thigh area).

Azdak, I tried that, but I royally suck at any type of estimation. Like I said, I only want an accurate number to get a reasonable estimate of my TDEE, not for personal satisfaction.
  • sodakat
    sodakat Posts: 1,126 Member
    Options
    But, if you used a Fitbit for a while, don't you already know your TDEE?

55835802.png
  • arrrrjt
    Options
    I have a feeling it was overestimating it... it's hard to quantify strength training (only about 100 cal/hr) and my horseback riding with it (I tried to use MFP estimations - approx 360 cal/hr - to replace but it was tricky). It would vary between 2600 - 3000 cal measured but that seems high.
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    See if any of the trainers in your gym can do a skin fold measurement with a caliper, it's more accurate than these pictures I think
  • arrrrjt
    Options
    7aneena wrote: »
    See if any of the trainers in your gym can do a skin fold measurement with a caliper, it's more accurate than these pictures I think
    Thanks! I'll do that. I'm just a pretty shy person and really don't want to be sold their "personal training" (I try to use to my work gym when possible) - fingers crossed.
  • andrejsel
    andrejsel Posts: 4
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Here's a bf percentage image for males as well:
    body-fat-percentage-chart-men-women.jpg
    And some useful tools:
    healthiack.com/images/body-fat-percentage-calculator
    healthiack.com/images/bmr-calculator

• getalife9353
    getalife9353 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    You might try doing an internet search for "navy circumference body fat calculator". You should be able to find a calculator and a .pdf file that explains it if you are interested in the details. For woman it was as accurate as skin fold test and more accurate then the impedance tester relative to a hydrostatic weight test. You do need to keep in mind the subjects used were active military, so it may not correlate well to a severely over weight person. It was developed as an alternative for military personal that did not meet BMI requirements. You might also consider looking for information on waist to hip measurement ratio.
  • andrejsel
    andrejsel Posts: 4
    edited December 2014
    Options