High Intensity Interval Training (HIIT) - Worth it?

Options
Hello guys and gals,

This is my second-and-a-half week of cycling on stationary bike and went from burning a starting 200 calories in 30 minutes (15 mins + break + 15 mins) to burning now 300 calories in roughly 50 minutes.

I've started HIIT today, warming up, sprinting for 15 secs at maximum resistance, resting 15 secs and repeating.

Do you have any experience with HIIT? Is it better to burn calories than "normal" cycling? Also, my cycle computer always states 300 calories burned but, according to what many articles say, it should burn around 500-600 calories in the same timeframe.

Cheers
Simone

Replies

• Health_Temple
    Options
    Yes. HIIT will also burn more calories up to 3 days after working out. If you have acess to a spin class I HIGHLY reccomend it. You ride
    according to the music and have fun instead of watching a clock/counting seconds, the trainer has done all the work. Expect to be sore if you don't train legs you will be standing on the bike a lot. I hve seen males quit the class 20-40 minutes in..never a female...so just because females tend to do it more often doesn't mean it's for the weak. Don't underestimate the 60 year old woman or the one who is 60 lbs over weight. They have the endurance and they are the *kitten*. Just don't quit.
  • Health_Temple
    Options
    I do my spin in a military gym so as you may know these guys are already pretty fit
  • fuenyface
    fuenyface Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I love HIIT! I incorporate it into my workouts about four times a week. My number one reason for loving it? It NEVER gets boring, because you can always change it up! Also, it's super quick, and you can do it anywhere! Here's a pretty darn good article about HIIT, you should check out!

http://theathleticbuild.com/hiit-what-why-how/
  • Seiferzz
    Options
    Thanks guys :)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    Yes. HIIT will also burn more calories up to 3 days after working out.

No it won't. It'll burn a single figure higher level of calories while you're cooling down. Possibly, the evidence is inconclusive.

Anyway, HIIT sessions can bring significant benefits to increasing your VO2Max (which is where the marginally higher calorie expenditue does come into play. That said, it really brings the greatest benefits when you have a solid aerobic base to build on, which you haven't really established yet. That is to say, given your base, you're unlikely to be getting to high intensity intervals.

A HIIT session will burn you out in about 20 minutes.

If you're only interested in the calorie expenditure, which seems to be your main priority, you'll get more from riding at a constant, but higher, intensity for a longer period than a HIIT session.

That said, if you're using a Spin bike I'd support the suggestion that you use a class, or a guided audio class, to get the most benefit from it.

fwiw your 300 calories is probably about right given your experience.

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    A Spin class isn't HIIT - it's interval training but not HIIT. The duration is simply too long.
    -
    There is an EPOC (afterburn) effect from HIIT but there is also the same effect from steady state cardio - and both are just about insignificant compared to the energy expenditure during the exercise itself!

If you are going for calorie burn and endurance then longer duration is the way to go.
    If you are going for an intense workout in a short time go for HIIT. Also great for VO2 max improvements.
    Ideally do both, different exercises with different benefits.
  • Seiferzz
    Options
    Forgive my newbie questions, but I can't really understand what kind of bike I have. I just know it's foldable and that cannot run outside: 71nPzgpVpBL._SL1500_.jpg

Also, I'm afraid to break this bike if I stand-cycle. As my main goal is currently burning as much calories as I can more than working out, I guess I should go for constant and longer duration.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    HIIT burns slightly more per minute than steady-state cardio, but you can't keep it up as long, so you won't necessarily burn as many or more in total. However, there is some evidence that it doesn't make you feel as hungry and has other favourable effects on health and well-being.Good Q&A here: fast-exercises.com/michael-answers-frequently-asked-questions/
  • Seiferzz
    Options
    Thanks!
  • TFaustino67
    TFaustino67 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    In for HIIT: here's what my routine workout looks like Seiferzz - this is mine but there are plenty others

Warmup

Touch Toes - 15 Reps (with kettlebells)
    Lunges - 10 reps/leg (with kettlebells)
    Side Lunges - 10 reps each direction (with kettlebells)
    Butt Kicks - 25 yards
    High Knees - 25 yards
    Arm Circles - 20 reps
    Trunk Twists - 20 reps
    Side Bends - 20 reps

Monday - AM Full Body Weight Training
    Tuesday - PM HIIT Workout
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 7 More Times (8 Minutes Total)
    Wednesday - AM Full Body Weight Training
    Thursday - PM HIIT Workout
    30 Seconds Brisk Walk, 30 Seconds Sprint, Repeat 7 More Times (8 Minutes Total)
    Friday - AM Full Body Weight Training
    Saturday and Sunday - Rest
  • Rugbynutter
    Rugbynutter Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Hi,

HIIT is a really simple way of saying "work really hard for a short period of time and then rest for a short period". I have always been of the impression that an effective HIIT session needn't be more that 20 mins 2 or 3 times a week. If it is more effective at buring fat BUT maintaining muscle mass. The other option is LISS (low intensity steady state cardio), where you keep your heart rate at about 60-70% of max for 30 mins. Ideally you can incorporate both into your weekly routine.

My favorite HIIT workout is on a stationary bike, high resistance, 20 secs full sprint, 20 secs complete rest x 15 round. It will only take around 13 mins but if you get the resistance & intensity right you'll struggle to walk afterward! I tend to do it sitting down. My only word of advice for your bike would be stability, but don't let that stop you trying!

I was introduced to it by a former South African international rugby player and was finding it VERY effective before I ruptured my achilles playing (see pic).

Also, I tend to find calorie burn calculated on machines to woefully under cooked. If you don't already, get yourself a heart rate monitor as using your average heart rate is a much better tool.

Good luck and drop me a line if you would like any more advice.

Cheers - RN
  • h7463
    h7463 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    Hi there!
    How you build your training schedule really depends on your goals. If weight loss and calorie burn are your main concern, than you should chose a training schedule that you can safely (!!!) do over a long period of time. Injury won't help any goal.
    HIIT training is very effective if your body is well conditioned to take the intensity, speed, and impact that comes with it. I had to train up to it. Out of personal experience, it is a stand-alone session, because if you're not caughing up your lungs after you're done, you didn't do it right. There has to be a proper warm-up and cool-down.
    I never just add this kind of training on my regular lifting days, because of the increased risk of injury. There is no point in doing it with already worn out and tired muscles. You will need full control and balance to perform. If there is a need to burn extra calories, I'd rather add a power walk or some steady state time on my stationary bike.
    HIIT training does not proportionally burn more calories, really, because the workouts you can live through are so much shorter. But you can always safely add some steady state cardio after the high intensity session.
    Something like HIIT on the track (sprint drills) can be considered a full 'leg day', and you should carefully plan your rest days around your training week, to make sure to get adequate recovery time.

Have fun and train safe!
  • Seiferzz
    Options
    Thanks for your replies guys :smile:
  • cazworks
    cazworks Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Cool may well have to try some of your method but TFaustino67 looks pretty interesting also just started taking testosterone suppliments