Nutritional Yeast?

Options
BigBoneSista
BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
Does anyone use it as a cheese substitute? If so how do you like it? I'm a cheese eater but I'm always looking to make small changes to my food consumption.

Replies

• RTricia
    RTricia Posts: 720
    Options
    chopped up raw cauliflower with nutritional yeast is like eating buttered popcorn!!
  • Andeenero
    Andeenero Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have a huge canister of nutritional yeast in my pantry. It is really nothing like nacho cheese. Its more like stinky feet cheese. However, you can use it to make mac n cheese that is pretty decent tasting if you mix it with other things, like soy sauce and sugar. (don't quote me on using those ingredients though.)
    I would google recipes for nutritional yeast and follow those. But its definitely not cheese on its own. Its really gross.
  • Dmonique85
    Dmonique85 Posts: 112
    Options
    Bump
  • daniellescsu
    daniellescsu Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    My friend is obsessed with it! She is vegan and eats it a ton. Its all about experimenting and finding what works for you as far as recipes. I have eaten it on homemade pizza and it was tasty.
  • ohohraptor
    ohohraptor Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ever since going vegan I eat it all the time. I love it!
  • FemininGuns
    FemininGuns Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I used it to make vegan home made mac n cheese :)
  • bettyboop573
    bettyboop573 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    I find it an acquired taste myself....have some but really only toss it in soups so far :)
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    Thank you all for your replies. I don't think it will work for me. I shave cheese on my tuna melts which I eat almost daily or I might just grab a thinly slice of cheese with a teaspoon of salsa for a snack. But thats basically my only uses. I make homemade pizzas only once a month so it probably wouldn't be worth it for me to make the switch.
  • wildbio
    wildbio Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I use nutritional yeast all the time (dairy free here) but if you're just looking for something to substitute actual cheese, try looking into soy cheeses. They have fewer calories and some of them still melt pretty well. Definitely worth experimenting with if you're looking for a change!
  • BigBoneSista
    Options
    I use nutritional yeast all the time (dairy free here) but if you're just looking for something to substitute actual cheese, try looking into soy cheeses. They have fewer calories and some of them still melt pretty well. Definitely worth experimenting with if you're looking for a change!

Oh thank you. I will definitely check those out. I appreciate your input :)