why are goals so low

Options

Replies

• MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others. You cannot compare your height/weight with others. I lost about 15 lbs and have been maintaining at 135 (5'8") for about 8 months now.

15 lbs ago I was still within my healthy weight range for my height however, now that I am 15 lbs lighter I have reduced my body fat percentange (15%) and feel so much better physically and mentally.

I have always been pretty happy with my body, but being a fit mother of 2 at 40 really feels good. It carries on to so many other aspects of my life. There is nothing wrong with being at the lower end of a healthy weight if you are going about it the right way.
  • ThePhoenixIsRising
    ThePhoenixIsRising Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Goal weight is nothing to worry yourself about. You don't know their body composition or frame size which will greatly change what looks good on them. If you think someone's goal is low check it on the bmi chart. If it isn't underweight then let it go.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have a very small frame. My ten year old daughter has a bigger rib cage and bigger feet than I do. My doctor knows that I have a small frame. Wrote diminutive on my chart, so other doctors would understand when I was sent for a referral. So, just because someone's weight seems low, it doesn't mean it is too low for them. Same if it seems high and they have a bigger frame.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Goal weight is a number you put in MFP to give you something to shoot for. That's all. I'm not sure why all these characteristics and beliefs are being ascribed to people based on their goal stats, especially when those stats can be changed at any time with a few clicks.
  • j_arens
    j_arens Posts: 16
    Options
    I'm finding this post FASCINATING. What people think is "too skinny" seems very subjective to me. How does one define "too skinny"? Clearly not by BMI standards since the numbers people are throwing out as too skinny are not underweight by that criteria. And yes, I realize the BMI is an imperfect measure. But really, I think people's perceptions have been altered because of society's unhealthy standard. It's like how clothing sizes have changed from what they used to be. For example, what used to be a size 6 10 years ago is now a size 4.
  • llUndecidedll
    llUndecidedll Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    People just have different goals. I ultimately want to reach 130 lbs.
    Other than that, I have a certain number I must reach on the scale to meet my current goal, no way around that, but after that-- I really don't care. My ultimate goal (one that may/may not be reached) is based on a waist size, though (in inches).
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4, 119/120 lbs. I am quite thin, so I really cant imagine being any thinner than this. I was 175 when I started, with no goal in mind, at all. If someone wants to maintain 110, that is fine, but I am not interested in eating any less than I do, or moving any more.
  • RHachicho
    RHachicho Posts: 1,115 Member
    Options
    Honestly beats me. I'm in no position to tell other people how to live. If people wanna be a bit on the skinny side it's all cool with me. Still from my perspective I've decided I don't really care if I'm still a little bit chubby. And for some reason people seem to take issue with that. When it's actually more healthy to be a little too chubby than a little too skinny. Go figure. I'm currently at 225 lbs and I still have a gut though I've got good definition in m arms and legs. And very little back fat remaining. And I've decided you know what .. I'm cool with this. But loads of people are still err .. you should really get to a "healthy" weight. Makes me fume a bit. I AM a healthy weight lol. I'm just not at the point at which society thinks is sexually attractive which thick people often confuse for good health.
  • amyk0202
    amyk0202 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I have wondered the same thing about body measurements. I see lots of women trying to get really small waists--24", 26", etc. I don't have any desire to have a waist that size & didn't really think much about it, but recently I was buying school clothes for my boys & measured their waists so I would know their sizes. They are all skinny, like see all their bones skinny. My 13 year old has a 25" waist, my 11 year old has a 24" waist, & my 9 year old has a 26" waist. I just don't see how it could be healthy for an adult woman to have a waist that small unless they are short like my kids. My 16 year old daughter is 5'7" & 120 lbs--right where she should be according to her dr & has a 28" waist. But, whatever floats your boat.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »
    I have wondered the same thing about body measurements. I see lots of women trying to get really small waists--24", 26", etc. I don't have any desire to have a waist that size & didn't really think much about it, but recently I was buying school clothes for my boys & measured their waists so I would know their sizes. They are all skinny, like see all their bones skinny. My 13 year old has a 25" waist, my 11 year old has a 24" waist, & my 9 year old has a 26" waist. I just don't see how it could be healthy for an adult woman to have a waist that small unless they are short like my kids. My 16 year old daughter is 5'7" & 120 lbs--right where she should be according to her dr & has a 28" waist. But, whatever floats your boat.

Yes, I am much shorter than your kids and my rib cage is 25 inches, so it's completely normal for me to have a 23 inch waist, which is the size it is now after having two babies. You can't see my bones. My doctors all say I am healthy. This is why people need to understand the variation in people's bodies. The confusion is because people think that everyone is the same size they are.

• newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Graelwyn75 wrote: »
    I think people have totally lost sight of what a natural weight is, and those who have spent a long period overweight, tend to aim for a higher goal because they don't imagine they could be any less. Sure, people have different builds, but time and again, I see people setting a goal that is still overweight, claiming they have big bones, a bigger build etc etc. In most cases, imo, that is nonsense. The BMI covers a large range, taking into account that people vary in bone structure. Unless someone is into bodybuilding or other such variables, I see no reason to not aim to be within a healthy range, at least. I mean, I see people thinking that 160 Ibs will be too skinny on them, at heights like 5'5, 5'6... really ? 160Ibs is just about normal for someone of my height (5'10) and I have never weighed more than 150 myself (when my hypothyroidism was not being treated yet) so I am sort of blown away when people think they will be skinny at relatively high weights. As to muscle mass, well, I have a decent amount of lean mass, low bodyfat and still, I average at around 140 Ibs. I just do not really understand some of these high goal weights that still place people in the overweight category.

That is not entirely correct. My fiancee's mother had one of the fancy measurements done at our hospital. She is 5'6" tall and after the scan they told her the absolute minimum she should weigh is 175 due to her LBM. That would put her as overweight all the way up to someone 5" taller than her according to BMI. BMI is nonsense - having a large build or more LBM than the sociological average is not.
  • newdaydawning79
    newdaydawning79 Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    I am also in my late 40's and I weigh 175 pounds. I want to get down to around 125 (I feel healthier there) and I'll lose my boobs...lol...at least part of them. I know I can do this, it's just going to take time. This is the heaviest I've been (without being pregnant with my daughter, who's 19) and I've actually gained another 10 pounds since last summer. I know I didn't get like this overnight and I also know that I can't lose this weight overnight. I just need all the support I can get (without being judged and having snarky comments made towards me).

Feel free to friend me! :smile:
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different, and have different ideas on how they think they should look. I know that my goal now is vastly different than when I started MFP. For one, I didn't realize how hard this lifestyle change would be now that I'm older. More important, I came here wanting to lose a few pounds, now seeing the women of MFP, I want to be one! I want to get stronger and I know everyday I put this work in I'm working toward a better me.
  • Jetta_C
    Jetta_C Posts: 58
    Options
    I agree that what people see as "normal" nowadays, at least in the US, is actually slightly overweight. Had an interesting experience with this the last time I got my body fat tested. I am about 66.5 inches in height and have a fairly low weight goal (125 lbs) because I am practicing CRON (calorie restriction/ optimal nutrition). This goal was not chosen because I have a low self-image, long to wear a bikini, have orthexia or any of those negative reasons. It is simply because I have read the research and think this is an experiment worth doing.

The PT performing my test cautioned me against this "unrealistic goal." She assured me that, if I got below 140 I would be getting into my "essential fat" and would not have any energy and be hungry all the time. I told her that seemed strange because my whole marathon/triathlon career was spent sub-135 lbs and I seemed just fine. And the real kicker? The PT herself was all of maybe 5'3" and 110 lbs. So it was quite the case of "Do as I say, not as I do."

I think they encourage people towards more modest weight goals to make them feel less fat than they are. I'd rather know the ugly truth and make an informed choice.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Everyone has different body types as well. My best friend and I are within an inch of each other height wise but have COMPETELY different body frames. she lives naturally around 115 and looks fantastic and slim with slight curves. I look fantastic and slim around 150-160, but not willowy because I'm naturally larger framed and extremely hourglass shaped. Where as she is long and sporty shaped. If I were to ever weigh 115 people would mistake me for a crack ho and try to drag me off to rehab because I would look SCARY sick.

I know my goal weight and inches shape because I've been there before and know that it's exactly how I want to be.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Personally, I used to want to be much thinner, but I realize now that my goal was unattainable. My new goal is 25 lb. heavier than the goal I once had (it rose gradually).

Weight loss is a journey. Some people have the opposite experience and find that they want to keep losing even when they reach their original goal.

Just focus on yourself and pick a goal within a healthy weight range. The only time you should be concerned with another person's goal is when it is not in the healthy range.
  • janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'5 and my goal weight is somewhere between 138-147. I personally like me at that weight range. I have been that size alot in life.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I'd say it all depends. I'm 5'6". I lost my weight about 13 years ago. My goal was "about 130". I got to about that and have stayed at about 130-135. Do I think that's too low? ABSOLUTELY NOT.
    I was 35ish when I made that goal. I'm 49 and menopausal now. It's still my goal. Is it too low? NO. Not for me, my frame, my body type, my activity level...and importantly...my highest adult weight.

I started with the notion of "5'=100lbs, then 5LBS per inch after. therefore 5'6"=130LBS. It was a great ballpark starting point for me, and given my frame size, activity level, body type, starting weight, highest adult weight etc. etc. etc.etc it was a great start. Is it too low? NO. Not for me.

I'm at a healthy weight. I have a bit of fat. Quite a bit, actually.
    I think we all need to consider our situations in the context of the big picture.

Some folks, primarily young girls, and some young boys, aim for a very low bodyweight (and BMI, yes, I said BMI). But for the majority, their goals are solid.
  • st0rmagedd0n
    st0rmagedd0n Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    amyk0202 wrote: »

It's not necessarily a preference.

Because of the way my body tends to store fat, I've always, even at my heaviest, had a pretty narrow waist, to the point of having measurements comparable to your children's at both the upper and lower extremity of my personal weight range. I was overweight then and am at a heathy weight now but, again, because of my build, have what you would term unhealthy measurements due not to vanity, but simple physiology.