HOPE STORY - MUST READ A skinny 20 years old took a fantastic stand against fat shaming

Options

Replies

• janiceclark08
    janiceclark08 Posts: 1,341 Member
    Options
    Oh this is where the comment of shaming came from on my thread, I'd never seen it before.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    peraverde wrote: »
    So her 'teachable moment' about not shaming people was to shame her 7 year old child in front of strangers on a subway? Got it.

Dazed and confused I see. I hope this was a joking comment about a non joking matter.

• PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    peraverde wrote: »
    So her 'teachable moment' about not shaming people was to shame her 7 year old child in front of strangers on a subway? Got it.

I don't think she was shaming him. She was explaining there's no wrong on being who we are and that there's always more to people than meet the eyes.

Plus, I should have said how nicely she was talking to him. He wasn't being told off at all. She was explaining something very important and deep with a sweet voice, words he could understand and concepts he could relate to.
    I'm glad you mentioned this. Good lesson!
  • itsbasschick
    itsbasschick Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing that - it was really inspiring.
  • NikkiBubbleGum
    Options
    I hope I can be a mother like her once I have children. She seems very wise.
  • Falcon
    Falcon Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    awesome parenting right there...
  • kpxfiles
    kpxfiles Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    That is so awesome.
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    My only difference is that someone doesn't have to have calculable value such as violin player or doctor to deserve respect from others. If all she is is a person that's enough. I hope she comes on MFP!

Actually that's exactly what the mother said when she told him that taking good care of loved ones is enough.
    I try to lure my friend into MFP but she wants to improve her English skills first.

• JustSomeEm
    JustSomeEm Posts: 20,197 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Wow, thank you so much for sharing this story! Way full of win. That mother not only taught her son a lesson on the subway, but turned a hurtful situation into something lovely (even if your friend was still probably mortified). :flowerforyou:
  • Allterrain_Lady
    Allterrain_Lady Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    davis_em wrote: »
    (even if your friend was still probably mortified). :flowerforyou:

My friend was mortified at first. But, of course, we discussed what happened at length afterwards and she told me how good it felt to be acknowledged as a whole person. She had to hear the rude comment but it didn't go unnoticed. No awkward silence. The worst, she told me was when people pretend not to hear or shush the kid and move on.
    I used to be fat(ter) but never had to go through this. I can only imagine how awful that would be.
  • dacspace
    dacspace Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    What an awesome mother who took the time to teach her child instead of shush him! Thank you for sharing!
  • JenniferIsLosingIt
    JenniferIsLosingIt Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Nice to see a parent actually do their job! :)
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    And that would be the kind of parent I try to be - fail many times, but sometimes I totally get it right!
  • actonangels1
    actonangels1 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Wow! I actually teared up reading that. So powerful. Thank you for sharing! Kudos to that Mom for teaching her son a very valuable lesson.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    wow, that is what Moms should be like. My parents treated fat people so bad, me included. I have heavy friends, I could care less, it is their business, I like their character. My Dad is in a care center now, I bet he doesn't care how big his Nurse is, he is glad she is helping him. Same with my Mom, they hated fat people and talked terribly about them. A lot of people out there are like that, glad she straightened her son out on this matter.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    This brought tears to my eyes. Thanks for sharing, it helped to restore my faith in humanity today.
  • stillwatergirl
    stillwatergirl Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    love this story. what a great mom.
  • nowolga
    nowolga Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Beautiful. Sheadding a few tears here..
  • CynCyndi
    Options
    Great story! Thank you for sharing.
  • TitikiOoh