One meal a day

Options
Hi all, my diet plan consists of one meal a day and I try to stick between 800-900 calories. I know it might not seem like much but trust me for me and my background it's a lot.

How many of you have tried the one meal and day? Was it successful? How many calories did you eat a day? Did you workout? If so how much? How much weight did you loose and in what time span?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    While number of meals is meaningless for weight loss, a single meal under 1,000 calories is too low. I've eaten 1 meal a day before, but it would be over double what your meal is. How are you getting all your required nutrients?
  • samammay
    samammay Posts: 468
    Options
    wqkt wrote: »
    I know it might not seem like much but trust me for me and my background it's a lot.

I don't trust you and no, it's not a lot. Unless it is mandated by a doctor for medical reasons, its unhealthy.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Just going to drop this here....just in case....
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    History... 800-900 calories a day... trying to lose weight... please read the above link and get some help.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Sounds stupid.
    1. Sounds as though it will give you insufficient energy.
    2. How do you know you will get all the nutrition you need?
    3. Will not provide steady release of energy though the 24hr period.

What the others saud we dont trust you and you havent provided enough information to reassure us that you know what you are doing. Quite the opposite for a 19 year old you sound as though you dont understand proerly what you are attempting to do and it could easily involve you gicing up bingeing or failing and putting all the weight you lose/ back on.

You should be losing weight(if you need to lose any) in a healthy safe and sustainable way.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    while it does not matter if you eat one meal or six meals, just eating one meal of 800-900 calories will put you on the road to an eating disorder, or you already have one. Seek help, ASAP.

if I only ate one meal a day consisting of 800 calories I would be a cranky, hungry, pain in the rear, and my gym performance would be horrible...
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    Sounds stupid.
    1. Sounds as though it will give you insufficient energy.
    2. How do you know you will get all the nutrition you need?
    3. Will not provide steady release of energy though the 24hr period.

What the others saud we dont trust you and you havent provided enough information to reassure us that you know what you are doing. Quite the opposite for a 19 year old you sound as though you dont understand proerly what you are attempting to do and it could easily involve you gicing up bingeing or failing and putting all the weight you lose/ back on.

You should be losing weight(if you need to lose any) in a healthy safe and sustainable way.

This.
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    FYI one meal a day is what Sumo wrestlers eat to maintain.
  • beamer0821
    beamer0821 Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    thats sounds miserable and unsustainable.
    i don't get how that plan is helpful.
  • JayRuby84
    JayRuby84 Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    Sounds like eating disorder shtuff. Sorry you feel like you have to do that to yourself.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    jrline wrote: »

yeah but they dont only eat 800 cals in that one meal.
  • kikityme
    kikityme Posts: 472 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Just....what. Hitler did experiments to figure out the minimum of calories needed to die. It was 500. You are literally a chocolate bar away from being dead.
  • gypsymatis
    gypsymatis Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am five foot one and have a desk job. To maintain I only need 1500 calories. So I eat one meal a day of roughly 1000 calories and take a multi vitamin as well as a 15-30 min body weight workout a day. Short women NEED a lot less.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    gypsymatis wrote: »
    I am five foot one and have a desk job. To maintain I only need 1500 calories. So I eat one meal a day of roughly 1000 calories and take a multi vitamin as well as a 15-30 min body weight workout a day. Short women NEED a lot less.

You're funny :)

I'm 5 feet tall. My maintenance is probably around 1400-1500. I'm losing on 1300 (though I do exercise and eat back most of my calories). Some days I have a desk job, other days I'm walking a ton.

Yeah, short women need less but not all short women are created equal. I eat 2 meals of 300ish calories, have 150 calories of snacks between each meal, make sure I move and have around 500 calories for dinner.

If eating once and burning off part of it works for you, good for you. Getting the nutrients you need on a low amount of calories can be tough, so I hope this works out for you :)

~Lyssa
  • Iamnotasenior
    Iamnotasenior Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    I am 5 1 and I also have a desk job. I am losing a pound a week on 1200 calories a day. Multi vitamins do not give you protein, fiber or amino acids that your body needs to function. 800 to 900 calories a day is a recipe for failure and gaining the weight back.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    Options
    samammay wrote: »
    I know it might not seem like much but trust me for me and my background it's a lot.

I don't trust you and no, it's not a lot. Unless it is mandated by a doctor for medical reasons, its unhealthy.

This. You are doing VLCD. I'm guessing there is eating disorder history: seek medical treatment.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Hi all, my diet plan consists of one meal a day and I try to stick between 800-900 calories. I know it might not seem like much but trust me for me and my background it's a lot.

How many of you have tried the one meal and day? Was it successful? How many calories did you eat a day? Did you workout? If so how much? How much weight did you loose and in what time span?

Thanks so much!
    Nope, it's not healthy to eat so few calories. You're setting yourself up for failure. Besides, 800-900 calories is considered a very low calorie diet and MFP is against that.

Lots of people eat one meal a day, but they make sure all their allotted calories are in that meal.

Eat your one meal a day, but make sure you get all your calories in there.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    Just going to drop this here....just in case....
    http://www.nationaleatingdisorders.org/

Plus one.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    jrline wrote: »
    One meal a day with sufficient calories, that is. ;)
  • nivi_r
    nivi_r Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Even if I am eating sufficient calories, isn't it better to spread across the day?