What are the best workouts for those over 180 lbs?

Options
Hi, I weigh 203 lbs. With that weight its difficult to do high intensity exercises that are likely to help me burn more calories. I'm trying low impact cardio and calisthenics since 2 weeks. I've been able to exercise for 30-60 mins a day and I can feel that my waist and hips are shrinking, however I don't see any results on the weighing scale. May be its too soon and I should continue doing what I'm doing to see results.

I just wanted to know from your experience on how you were successful with weight reduction, especially when you were 180 lbs or more.
  • What kinds of exercises work best?
  • What type of exercise schedule should one have?
  • How many days in a week should one do cardio? For how long?
  • How many days in a week should one do strength exercises?

If there is anyone out there reading this, do share your experience :)

Thanks!

Replies

• mackeyj
    mackeyj Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    You can absolutely do HIIT and other 'difficult' exercises.

Weightlifting or some form of strength training would benefit you. It will help maintain your current muscle mass.

Viewing exercise as a way to burn more calories isn't necessarily the best point of view. It's harder to burn calories than it is to not eat them in the first place.
  • Adaniel65
    Adaniel65 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I started at 215 doing bootcamp 3x pw... essentially a lot of HIIT, conditioning etc. It was hard and sucked... I complained - a lot. It gets better... I was not able to run around our building (.25 mile) at all when we started, I would walk it or elect to hold a plank while others ran. I've been at it a year and I ran it 4x this morning. I would just do what I could do and try to challenge myself a little each time. For example, one day I decided instead of doing all my pushups on my knees, I would try to do at least the first one on my toes... and it goes from there. I'm losing pounds (35tlt) and inches and I can see my body changing shape - I actually have muscles.
    I do very little cardio (while I used to live on the elyptical) and focus on strength and conditioning.
    Don't let your mind overrule your body. Do you belong to a gym that offers any fitness/conditioning classes ... maybe some Les Mills classes?
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Definitely keep doing what you're doing! If you're feeling smaller but the weight is the same, it is likely water weight that is 'masking' your progress on the scale. Hopefully soon you will get your 'whoosh' :mrgreen:

I am ~200lbs, SW 210, and I started with slow walks 6 weeks after my surgery, and worked my way up to running 20 minutes straight, so you definitely can do it too!

I don't believe that there's any exercise us 200 pounders CAN'T do :) just be careful and don't start out trying to do much - choose your exercise, and start slow, then each week increase the speed/resistance/intensity.

And I don't know if I'm normal, but I go to the gym 3-5 times a week and do cardio AND weights every time I'm there. I'm not in a body building program or anything so 24-48 hours resting my muscles between sessions is fine for me. But again, start small, and work your way up when you're comfortable with the exercise!
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Weight loss is primarily diet. Eat at the appropriate calorie deficit and you will lose weight.

That said, exercise is a great addition. There are obvious benefits to your heart and overall health. But exercise will also get you a few extra calories to eat to make the transition to a lower calorie intake easier. I also love how empowered and strong I'm starting to feel. Lastly, it really gives you a better idea of the cost of every calorie you consume.

On to your other questions about exercise.
    I started this life change at 240 lbs, the heaviest I've ever been. I started with walking. Sometimes 15 minutes per day. What helped was knowing that every little bit adds up. You don't need to do an hour straight. You can do 10 here, 15 there, etc etc. When the weather got nicer, I added in recreational swimming. Then tried a little running. They played more with my kids. It gets easier as the weight goes down, but it also gets easier as you get more accustomed to it.

Invest in good shoes. Cut yourself some slack. Push, without pushing too hard. It will all come in time. Set a goal to do something a little harder, a little longer, a little heavier each week. Even if baby increments. Find what you like. Try a class, explore the mountains, etc.
  • brightsideofpink
    brightsideofpink Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    Oh, I meant to add. I've lost 40 lbs so am just about your weight now. There is very little I can't do, and I can do more every day.
  • zrmac804
    zrmac804 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    The best workouts are the ones that you enjoy, give you the results you want, and are sustainable over the long term. These will vary depending on your physical condition and your personal likes/dislikes.

Try attending some beginner-level classes of different activities that appeal to you. For outdoor sports, see if you can borrow or rent the necessary equipment so that you can try out the sport short-term without making a commitment. You are bound to find at least one thing that you really like!

Walking is one of the easiest, cheapest and most accessible exercises. All you need is a pair of good shoes and you're on your way. Whatever exercise you decide on, you;'re off to a great start and I wish you all the best :)
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I weigh 220 lbs and I did a 6 mile run this morning. Just do whatever you enjoy doing.
  • Cc215
    Cc215 Posts: 228 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i'm that weight now - I started out a little higher. I dance (and can do this for hours on end), I lift weights, I swim, I walk, I do 30 Day Shred, I go to pilates.

I "can't" run - cos I hate it and the desire to stop totally overwhelms any motivation I had to do it in the first place - but other than that I don't think there is anything I can't do.

Start off doing something you enjoy - build it up so you are going for longer / going faster / going heavier over time. You don't have to start of running a marathon (or in my case - running at all!). As you get fitter from doing that try out some new things - but most importantly get started with something, and enjoy the ride!
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Walking/jogging

I used to be over 260lbs

29509743.png
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a reoccurring injury...the same ones that are best for those under 180 pounds.