Need advice on workout routine

Options
So I joined a gym about a month ago, I'm able to go on my lunchbreak so it gives me a 35 minute workout. Right now I've been alternating between elliptical and treadmill and it's been going well. Lost about 4lbs so far. I was going to concentrate only on cardio for a while. I have about 30lbs to lose so my thinking: do all 35 min of cardio until I drop some more pounds, then transition into strength training/cardio. I know strength training is important, I just worry that since I only have 35 min I should concentrate on cardio to get the pounds off.

Thoughts?? If I do need to add strength now, what do you guys recommend for a cardio/strength split? Is it worth it do 15 min of cardio/15 min strength every other day?

Thanks!

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    how often do you go to the gym?

i would go with 2 x strength and 2 times cardio per week (or more if you have the time) instead of both each day
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    Yes cardio is great as you get closer to your goal switch. I did not start strength until I was at my goal in hindsight I probably should have when I was about 10lbs away. Good Luck

29509743.png
  • MityMax96
    MityMax96 Posts: 5,778 Member
    Options
    With the excess pounds you have now, and eating in deficit....
    I would hit weights now, 3x / week.
    Build/develop that muscle, it will work wonders for you.

I would keep my days separate.....but your call....based on how you feel really.
  • eappel1023
    eappel1023 Posts: 7 Member
    Options

i would go with 2 x strength and 2 times cardio per week (or more if you have the time) instead of both each day

I go to the gym 4 days a week and then will usually try to squeeze 1 or 2 days of working out at home. As of now that's been jogging outside.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options

I agree with this.
  • eappel1023
    Options

I agree with this.

Ok...I can try this. I guess I just get nervous not burning all those calories from the cardio. I have that mindset that if I'm not sweating for 30 min with my heartrate up then I'm not doing enough...
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    The reality is that you are going to lose weight by limiting calories. Exercise has different benefits - and both resistance training and cardio are important for maximizing them.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    eappel1023 wrote: »

I agree with this.

Ok...I can try this. I guess I just get nervous not burning all those calories from the cardio. I have that mindset that if I'm not sweating for 30 min with my heartrate up then I'm not doing enough...

you should still feel like you've had a workout doing strength, even if you dont get a massive calorie burn.

plus you'll look better naked :smiley:
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? What do you enjoy doing? What do you loathe?

Speaking very generally, I agree with Travis - do both, but do them on alternating days. A good cardio workout one day, a good strength workout the next. Don't try to split your 35 mins between both cardio and strength.

To your comment about burning calories and sweating for 30 mins... don't lift with the goal of burning calories... lift to get stronger, to feel better, and to look better. Keep your diet in check and the need for high calorie burns becomes moot.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    I'd definitely use your gym time for a strength workout. You can always do some cardio outside the gym if you feel you need it, walking, running, workout DVDs etc.

3x 35 mins would let you do a beginners programme like Stronglifts 5x5, Starting Strength or Strong Curves and I'm sure you'd be delighted with the results.
  • eappel1023
    Options
    jacksonpt wrote: »
    What are your goals? What do you enjoy doing? What do you loathe?

Speaking very generally, I agree with Travis - do both, but do them on alternating days. A good cardio workout one day, a good strength workout the next. Don't try to split your 35 mins between both cardio and strength.

To your comment about burning calories and sweating for 30 mins... don't lift with the goal of burning calories... lift to get stronger, to feel better, and to look better. Keep your diet in check and the need for high calorie burns becomes moot.

I want to get back to where I was 5 years ago, 145lbs with lean, sculpted arms and legs. I had a nice strong core that I miss. I really did enjoy strength training. It feels great to feel those muscles working and getting stronger over time. A feeling you don't get from cardio alone. Luckily I've been good at sticking to the 1200-1400 calorie a day range, I always used excercise as a buffer so I will try alternatining the days to cardio 3x a week and strength 3x a week. Since the last time I was "thin" I have a had a baby and went from being in my mid twenties to early thirties so I'll be curious to see how my body responds to a more aggressive routine.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Based on your goals, you've gotten pretty good advice so far. Make sure strength training is a major part of your routine, do as much or as little cardio as you to supplement your strength training. Keep your diet in check.

After that, it's all about patience and consistency.
  • eappel1023
    Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the help!
  • seximami79
    seximami79 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Good Luck! This was helpful to me too because I workout almost every day, but I hadn't seen a huge difference until I change my calorie intake, added hot yoga, and strength training...takes a lot of planning!
  • eganita
    eganita Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    I think the suggestions of doing strength some days and cardio others are good ideas.

I would also recommend trying out some kind of an interval cardio workout - such as 30 minutes fast (and/or high resistance) and 1 minute recovery, or something of that nature. Workouts like that have definitely helped me with my endurance and speed. It also is nice for some variety :smile: Steady-state workouts are good too of course, though!