How to measure my waist?

Options
Hi all,

I have been trying to understand the pant sizing in US. I'm wearing size 1 pant and it's getting tighter and tighter each day. So I have been researching what inches does size 1 and 2 represent.

Here's what I found, if you waist is less than 28 then wear small otherwise wear medium. According to this I'm actually large because last time I measured my waist is 32-33 but I know my hip just increased to 39 inched due to glutes workouts.

I usually hold the tape right on top of my belly button to measure. I like to wear my pants right where my belly button is or few mm below. So it make sense to measure this way. However I have seen measurement where the tape is right above the belly button, maybe few mm above. why? If I measure 2 inches above my waist is 26-28 max.

I'm so confused. Am I measuring my waist incorrectly?

Replies

• sparacka
    sparacka Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Does no one google anymore?

http://www.webmd.com/diet/calculating-your-waist-circumference__

http://www.heartfoundation.org.au/healthy-eating/Pages/waist-measurement.aspx

Waist - Women: The waist should be measured at the narrowest level, above the belly button (umbilicus). Another reference is halfway between the lowest rib on the sides and the top of the hips. If you’re unsure measure a second and a third time until you get the lowest value. Make sure the tape is horizontal. - See more at: http://www.free-online-calculator-use.com/military-body-fat-calculator.html#Waist
  • LoosingMyLast15
    LoosingMyLast15 Posts: 1,457 Member
    Options
    i'm curious - when you say you wear a size 1 is that US or another country because if your waist is a 32 and you're wearing a size 1 then why am i wearing a size 10 and have a 30" waist. :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • AskTracyAnnK28
    AskTracyAnnK28 Posts: 2,818 Member
    Options
    i'm curious - when you say you wear a size 1 is that US or another country because if your waist is a 32 and you're wearing a size 1 then why am i wearing a size 10 and have a 30" waist. :sad: :sad: :sad:

QFT!

I wanna move to where she lives!!!! I'm a 29.5 and wear a 10 :sad: :sad: :sad:
  • rebeccaplatt21
    Options
    Does no one google anymore?

this!!^^
    that's why i rarely participate on the forums anymore :-(
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    For those of you who asked if I google anymore, if you read my description you would know I DID say I have done my research which obviously means I googled the information.

Clearly I'm still confused because what I found on website and the reality doesn't match. There are 2 people in this forum said they were size 10 whereas I wear

Also, if you can't reply without judging people, please don't. I'm sure people wouldn't ask the questions here if Google had absolutely accurate information with 1000 websites.
  • Mommy_Time
    Mommy_Time Posts: 256 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i really dont' think the us measurement is for the waist with pants esp for women. seems it is under the belly button where your hip bone is. and hips are about where your saddle bag area is, the bend when you go to sit down not your actual hip bone area.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Here is a youtube.
    You do not measure according to how you wear your pants.
    The waist measurement is at the narrowest part.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD6_XqqMqK4
  • prisky780
    prisky780 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thank you @Mommy_Time! That is exactly what my confusion is. If the pant goes right on top of your belly or below, then shouldn't you measure your hips instead of waist? But when you search online, it says measure your hips and then depending on the measurement you should wear whatever size it mentions. This is frustrating.

On the other hand, good news is that I had my 2nd measurement yesterday and I lost about an inch around my waist. So yay I guess.
  • Mommy_Time
    Options
    @prisky780 with the us pants i think each company is different with sizes too. i can wear between 3 sizes just depending on the brand which can make one go cray cray
  • 7aneena
    7aneena Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    There actually two circumferential lines reflecting waist, there's a natural waist which is the narrowest point that ladies already pointed out and the other I forget what its called but its around the belly button. I personally use the latter because its an easier and repeatable reference point. My measurement is 36 around belly button and I wear US 12 most of the time.
    That's another issue, sizes are not really standardized here in the US, for example the ladies above wear size 10 but they can probably do an 8 in some brands.
    If you are measuring 32-33 around belly button you are probably size 10-12 US
  • Mommy_Time
    edited October 2014
    Options
    i have gained some weight and inches over the course of 1.5yrs but my stats i am working back to my waist 29", around my belly button was 31.5", below belly button the biggest part of belly was 33" and my hips was 38.5" (hips are the part that bends when you go to sit down not around your hip bone) and i wore a size 7/8 in the US