Options
Yay or nay?

... and why?

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Unnecessary. Some people benefit from caffeine and some don't (i don't). But even if you do benefit, it won't be that much that you would burn tons of calories from it. Personally, i rather spend my calories on other things.. like protein shakes or other food.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    nay... plus i work out in the evening after work so would just end up not being able to sleep if i drank one then!
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    psulemon, Sugar Free Redbull (my drink of choice) is only 10 calories... so not really breaking my calorie bank.. More curious on whether or not you think it works or makes a difference... thanks!
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    Not really needed. Water and a banana imo or some complex carbs will be as good as a sports drink.
  • berkayaliulker
    Options
    have a pre workout/coffee instead. energy drinks are full of sugars and other crap
  • leggup
    leggup Posts: 2,942 Member
    Options
    Ew I would feel so gross and burp the whole time. I exercise on a near empty stomach and drink water when I'm thirsty.
  • Laughter_Girl
    Laughter_Girl Posts: 2,226 Member
    Options
    Nay. I don't drink energy drinks - ever. My only intake before a workout is a glass or two of water. :) Do what works for you though!
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I would ask, does caffeine prevent you from sleeping?
  • ashleyShades
    ashleyShades Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee in the morning with just almond milk and no added sugar before I workout. I say nay. If you feel like you need a little extra boost, have some coffee.
  • kducky22
    kducky22 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »

Sometimes if I drink too much of it...

I grew up in Seattle drinking like 5-6 coffees a day, so caffeine doesn't usually prevent me from sleeping, but I have noticed in the past year or so (the older I get -- whomp whomp) the more drinking it too late (like after 5 or 6) can make me a little restless when going to bed. But shouldn't the extra energy you burn off during a work out counter act this? Maybe not..
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I take a multivitamin and supplements for things the blood showed I didn't have or (didn't have enough) in my system. So, except for caffeine, there would be no reason for me to take an energy drink. And I want to restart my caffeine habit about as much as I want to get punched, so No, Thanks on the energy drink. :)
  • psuLemon
    Options
    kducky22 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »

Sometimes if I drink too much of it...

I grew up in Seattle drinking like 5-6 coffees a day, so caffeine doesn't usually prevent me from sleeping, but I have noticed in the past year or so (the older I get -- whomp whomp) the more drinking it too late (like after 5 or 6) can make me a little restless when going to bed. But shouldn't the extra energy you burn off during a work out counter act this? Maybe not..
    You can drink one to see if it helps, but it's very individualistic.
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Toss energy drinks aside, sugar-free or not. Save your money. Go buy a bottle of caffeine pills that will last you 3 months for the price of 3-4 of those energy drinks.
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I use energy drinks before my evening workout, but not something like Red Bull. I use energy drinks that are specifically made for pre-workouts, like Muscle Pharm Assault.

http://www.musclepharm.com/store/all-products/assault/

I don't have crazy calorie burns or anything like that, but I do notice that I get through my workouts more easily, and that is important to me!
  • throoper
    throoper Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    I work 12-13 hour days outside all spring and summer, so if I want to go running after coming back from the field, I definitely drink some coffee or an energy drink first. I'm sure some of the affect is placebo, but it absolutely helps me. Just keep it low-calorie so that you're not wasting the workout. I either have a sugarfree redbull or a cup of coffee with a little low-fat milk.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    An apple and a handful of almonds usually does me fine...I'm not sure why one would need an energy drink. If you're that worn down, maybe there's something wrong with your diet overall.
  • MscGray
    MscGray Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I occasionally will use a 5 hour energy shot around 4 in the evening....the only real benefit is that it helps me from hitting a slump and giving into fatigue and actually getting to the gym to work out. I can say that the days I use one that I will sometimes get a little light headed when doing certain Zumba moves (I think its a blood pressure issue as it mostly occurs when we have to bend and stand up repeatedly).
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    Nay. The crash I experience from them outweighs the benefits of taking them in the first place.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    The majority of energy drinks are just a stimulant and some sugar with electrolytes thrown in. Working out is more a mental attitude than one of an "energy" one if your nutrition overall is right.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

• daynes23
    daynes23 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I've tried coffee a couple times this week and even though I felt a little like Jessie Spano from Saved By the Bell on the elliptical, I did get a lot of workout in. Probably more than I would've if I hadn't had it. I teach so around 3:40-4 (when I arrive at the gym) is right about the time I would get home and doze off on the couch so it seems like a nice jolt to get through it. May be doing it again today so we'll see. Overall I agree with the crowd, something like coffee over a monster or redbull for sure.