How far do you travel to the gym?

Options
124»

Replies

• gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My bike is my gym.

^that....and my shoes. Most of the time, I take off from my door to get in my ride or run. Sometimes I'll pack up and meet people somewhere for a ride - particularly if I want to ride a certain course. I also have a workout room in my house for lifting and doing dvds.

But, I also belong to a gym for swimming when it's too cold for open water swimming, or if I have specific sets to do, or if I don't have a buddy to swim with (never OWS alone!). My gym is between home and work, which makes it incredibly convenient to swim either before or after work during the week....but if I have to swim on the weekend, it's kind of a PITA, because it's a 15 minute drive. I still do it, because if I didn't, my tri coach would not be happy with me, but it's much more convenient when my lap swims fall on work days.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    My gym is in my bedroom. I've tried going to gyms in the past but none were close by. I had to travel a good 20+ minutes to get to the nearest one, and when you have to travel THAT far to get to the gym, it's very difficult to stay motivated. A 45 minute workout can turn into 2 and a half hours of your evening counting the commute, prep, and the fact that you're probably going during peak hours which means having to wait for equipment. Plus during the winter time, the weather and road conditions give you another (very legitimate) excuse not to go.
  • monkeyinasuit
    monkeyinasuit Posts: 7 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used to walk 15 minutes when we lived in NYC, but now I just go down to my basement. It really is the best and we make fewer excuses than when we had the 15 minute walk, especially now that we have longer commutes. My max, outside of this situation, was a 15 minute drive or walk. Anything longer than that and it starts to feel like I spend the same amount of time getting there and back as I do exercising (45 minutes to an hour).
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Used to run .5 miles to the gym when I had an apartment. Then I bought a house. Now I make the arduous trip from my bedroom into my basement, with a pit stop in the kitchen to drink some water. It's a long trip :(
  • 123Allyxox
    123Allyxox Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a gym in my apartment complex.. I travel down 4 floors to get there lol
  • levitateme
    levitateme Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    My gym is about 5 minutes from my house (only during 4:50 AM traffic) and 10 from my job. I chose it specifically because it is centrally located, affordable and nonrestrictive.
  • DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    Annoyingly, my gym is half an hour from my house. There is one about 5 minutes from my house but it has older equipment, less equipment and is generally crowded because it also houses karate. There's one 20 minutes away and it's 24 hours but costs more per month than I'm really willing to pay.

Fortunately, my gym is kinda on my way home from work, depending on which way I go. So, there's that. I tend to not go on weekends, though, because it's just super inconvenient.
  • lili61
    lili61 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Mine is a local chain that has 5 locations throughout the city. I work a few blocks from one and live a few blocks from the other, so I'm lucky it's so convenient.

I do prefer the work location because it is bigger and has a power rack!
  • Astharteea
    Astharteea Posts: 105 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I used to walk 10 minutes to where my gym was. I was paying $80 a month for it and I was just using the treadmill. I tried a Pilates class once and It was strange. Everybody was skinny and good at it. I never went back to that class. I canceled my membership after 1 year. Now I bought a treadmill at home. I'm planing to get in shape as far as indurance goes with my treadmill's help. I also diet and I really do want to make some progress. I'm planing to go and take some Pilates and yoga classes once I hit 150 lbs so my belly is not in the way so much. So I would suggest to go and get the 2 weeks trial and see how it works.
  • redromad275
    redromad275 Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    The gym I use is about 100 yards from my office as we have an olympic quality gym in our compound