So I'm not supposed to be using a measuring cup

Options

Replies

• jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    I never used a scale for my weightloss but I am a cheapskate and didn't want to waste money.

29509743.png
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    jessiesue2 wrote: »
    When I eat cereal, cottage cheese, rice and other such foods, I'm supposed to use a scale to measure. Even though it might say on the packaging, 1 cup serving size, I should weigh 8 oz. What about 1 tablespoon of soft butter or 1/4 cup of shredded cheese? Weigh or measure?

Volume ounces is not the same as weight ounces. Use the grams serving they give you on the box...

Came in to say this. I don't know why you'd use measuring cups to measure anything besides fluid ounces. That's what their intent is for. For example, this recipe calls for 4 ounces of milk, well pull out the measuring cup for that.

What if you had steak or, heaven forbid, potato chips? How do you fit those in a measuring cup?
  • U2R2
    U2R2 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    This point was brought home to me this morning when what I would have logged as a 60 calorie cup of grapes weighed out to be a 116 calorie 173 gram serving of grapes.

Weigh for accuracy folks. B)
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Measuring cups are for liquids.

Scale for solids.

Seriously for those folks that say the scale is too expensive - $20ish? I bet you spend that on other worthless stuff every week... Too hard - way easier than dragging out a dozen measuring cups and spoons. Not necessary - well if what you're doing is working then fine, but if you swear you're doing everything right and not losing it is usually due to inaccurate logging.
  • dayone987
    dayone987 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    blazepurr wrote: »
    akajakob wrote: »
    iDOzAa5.jpg
    +1

+2
    Go metric!
  • Mexicanbigfoot
    Mexicanbigfoot Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    <~~~ food scale. 100%!
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I agree with the importance of weighing for accuracy, but if you're losing weight with rough estimates, and you find that easier and more sustainable, that's cool too. I do a mix of weighing and tablespooning for higher calorie foods/liquids, but just randomly throw in veggies and log it as '1 large carrot' or 1/2 a medium bell pepper.

However, if your weight loss stalls, and you don't weigh your food, IMO it is much easier to start weighing than assuming you have to reduce your calories by 200 and go to the gym more often.
  • OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Add713 wrote: »
    If the nutrition label says,,, serving size 1 cup ........THAN USE A CUP.....Hell we wouldn't want to be a few grams over.....I feel my waist growing as I write :)

I'm lazy. I prefer the food scale because there are less dishes to wash afterward. Bowl on the scale, hit the tare button, plop as much of one ingredient as I want in, write it down, tare again, plop in second ingredient, etc. One bowl to wash and I don't have to round up all those cups and spoons for each ingredient.

What is the "tare" button? My scale just has a button for "on" and one to change from oz to g.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    If the nutrition label says,,, serving size 1 cup ........THAN USE A CUP.....Hell we wouldn't want to be a few grams over.....I feel my waist growing as I write :)

I'm lazy. I prefer the food scale because there are less dishes to wash afterward. Bowl on the scale, hit the tare button, plop as much of one ingredient as I want in, write it down, tare again, plop in second ingredient, etc. One bowl to wash and I don't have to round up all those cups and spoons for each ingredient.

What is the "tare" button? My scale just has a button for "on" and one to change from oz to g.

A tare button resets the scale to zero. If you don't have one you could get the same effect by turning it off and on again without removing your dish so that the scale doesn't take into account the weight already on it.

• OneGoodBean
    OneGoodBean Posts: 48 Member
    Options

A tare button resets the scale to zero. If you don't have one you could get the same effect by turning it off and on again without removing your dish so that the scale doesn't take into account the weight already on it.

Oh, that's what my "on" button does. haha I didn't know it had a name. :P
  • MamaRiss
    MamaRiss Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I weigh probably 90% of the food I eat. And those I don't are because I have yet to sit down and do the math for them, these are things like packaged food items that require the addition of liquids, but don't include that liquid in the weight it lists for a serving size ( pasta, rice, potato side dishes). If I have the time to do the math, I do it; if I don't, I use a measuring cup and don't fill it completely (especially with shell pasta that tends to nest together)
  • Kenda2427
    Kenda2427 Posts: 1,592 Member
    Options
    I find a lot of the MFP database calculations are inaccurate, such as using cups for other than liquids and saying 1 g or 30 g but the calories are the same. The database needs a major clean up and should be all in grams/ouncesfor non liquids.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options

Scale for solids.

Seriously for those folks that say the scale is too expensive - $20ish? I bet you spend that on other worthless stuff every week... Too hard - way easier than dragging out a dozen measuring cups and spoons. Not necessary - well if what you're doing is working then fine, but if you swear you're doing everything right and not losing it is usually due to inaccurate logging.

Seriously...how do u measure everything u eat? That would drive me crazy. I have lost a good deal of weight by....guessing. Well I also exercise way more than I ever have in the past. A hundred cals plus or minus per day....does it really matter. Maybe I burned an extra 100cals today because I walked the stairs more than I did yesterday or my cycling class was 58 minutes one day but 65 the next etc. etc.ect.
    TDEE's are just estimates. We burn different amounts of cals everyday. Unless we do exactly the same things in exactly the same way everyday. I agree logging food is a great way to stay in the ball park but there is room to play in that ball park.
    Obsessing about every calorie.....that's a full time job.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options

Scale for solids.

Seriously...how do u measure everything u eat? That would drive me crazy. I have lost a good deal of weight by....guessing. Well I also exercise way more than I ever have in the past. A hundred cals plus or minus per day....does it really matter. Maybe I burned an extra 100cals today because I walked the stairs more than I did yesterday or my cycling class was 58 minutes one day but 65 the next etc. etc.ect.
    TDEE's are just estimates. We burn different amounts of cals everyday. Unless we do exactly the same things in exactly the same way everyday. I agree logging food is a great way to stay in the ball park but there is room to play in that ball park.

Some people are very, very good at guesstimating. The rest of us are kind of bad at it. I once logged a day by estimating portion sizes first and then weighing them and logging it both ways. The difference was over 500 calories at the end of the day. That can wipe out someone's deficit.

Using a food scale doesn't take me very long, but I realize that it's not for everyone. But for me, personally, I need it right now to train myself so that I can eyeball portion sizes as I move into maintenance.

• Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options

Scale for solids.

Some people are very, very good at guesstimating. The rest of us are kind of bad at it. I once logged a day by estimating portion sizes first and then weighing them and logging it both ways. The difference was over 500 calories at the end of the day. That can wipe out someone's deficit.

Using a food scale doesn't take me very long, but I realize that it's not for everyone. But for me, personally, I need it right now to train myself so that I can eyeball portion sizes as I move into maintenance.

Good Point
  • rlwilson1967
    rlwilson1967 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I've been eyeballing it but am waiting for me scale to get here. I just got measuring cups and spoons too. My confusion comes at the thought of things that don't have a serving suggestion on the side of the package. Like how much is a serving of banana. They do come in all sized ya know. I need to go check google!
  • rlwilson1967
    Options
    Google is my friend :D
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options

Scale for solids.

Obsessing about every calorie.....that's a full time job.

It's way more than 100 calories though... at least it would be for me.
  • rlwilson1967
    Options
    Along the same lines, if you cook a zucchini and weigh it at a 100grams, does the calorie count remain the same for 100 grams of uncooked zucchini?

I'm just so not clear on all of this stuff! Thanks!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »
    Cups are ok for free fowing liquids or granular solids, but that's all 9ib98w3zvtlu.jpg

Marry me