Am I not eating enough? 15lbs gone by Christmas is all I want :)

Options
Hello,
I wanted some advise about food intake. I don't usually eat breakfast, I have a very sedentary job and really not hungry until lunch which is usually a latte with my protein powder then some snacks apple/carrots or cucumbers. I exercise at least 3 times a week and I am not seeing results. Has anyone experience anything similar. Some days with my busy schedule I only get one meal at dinner which is usually a salad. Just feeling a bit frustrated.
Help?

Replies

• melduf
    melduf Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    If you don't eat enough, your body is in "survival mode". Which means it is holding on to everything in order to survive. You should be at least eating 1200-1400 calories a day. Might think about more proteins: greek yogourt O% MF, cottage cheese, turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon, shrimp.
  • chubby_checkers
    chubby_checkers Posts: 2,354 Member
    Options
    What is your calorie goal? How many pounds a week are you set to lose? With only 15, a half pound a week is the best way to go. How do you log your food? Measuring cups, food scale?
  • debneeds2beskinny
    debneeds2beskinny Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    melduf wrote: »
    If you don't eat enough, your body is in "survival mode". Which means it is holding on to everything in order to survive. You should be at least eating 1200-1400 calories a day. Might think about more proteins: greek yogourt O% MF, cottage cheese, turkey, chicken, tuna, salmon, shrimp.

Yep - eat more protein, eat breakfast - your body is going to need something when you first get up. Even if it is a light snack, that will shake your metabolism into going.
  • KrzyGal
    KrzyGal Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    You may not be eating enough and that will stall results. Also, try to eat some protein in the morning to kick start your metabolism. I have protein shakes now but before would even have peanut butter just for the protein before I'd leave for work. My old supervisor did the peanut butter trick too and it helped us both.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    melduf wrote: »

Survival mode is a myth. However, OP, what she said about 1200-1400 calories is absolutely right. If that's all you're eating a day, you're not getting the nutrients you need.
  • SpikeTailTurtle
    Options
    Special K has chocolate protein shakes that make a good breakfast when you don't want to eat but know you should.
  • jamieben1824
    jamieben1824 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast! even if its a protein shake and a piece of toast! Try to get a little of both protein and Carbs. Wheat toast, half a bagel anything! It is true that your MUST eat within about an hour of waking to help keep a strong metabolism. Proven fact. I can relate to not being hungry but you should be eating 4-6 small meals per day and the most important one is breakfast! You may want to add another day or two of working out too esp if you have a sit down job. Take 15 minute walk breaks if you can through the day. Its a tough science, I know.. been doing it a long time. You can do it tho! Good luck! :)
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    Eat breakfast! even if its a protein shake and a piece of toast! Try to get a little of both protein and Carbs. Wheat toast, half a bagel anything! It is true that your MUST eat within about an hour of waking to help keep a strong metabolism. Proven fact. I can relate to not being hungry but you should be eating 4-6 small meals per day and the most important one is breakfast! You may want to add another day or two of working out too esp if you have a sit down job. Take 15 minute walk breaks if you can through the day. Its a tough science, I know.. been doing it a long time. You can do it tho! Good luck! :)

Meal timing/frequency do not matter.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat breakfast. Meal timing has no effect on weight loss. All you need is an overall calorie deficit. How long have you been at this OP?
  • RGv2
    RGv2 Posts: 5,789 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode is a myth....if you're in a deficit you'll lose weight. Meal timing is the same.

I keep getting a site down page. OP, is your diary open?
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Calories don't know time. If you don't want to eat upon rising, don't. If you function better having lunch as your first meal, do that. Also, I only eat 3 meals a day. If 4-6 meals work for you, eat that way. If 1-2 large meals work for you, do that. There are many people who have had success eating a 16-8 hour intermittent fasting schedule (fast for 16 hours, eat their calorie goal in those 8 hours).

Starvation/Survival mode is a myth.

You should net at least 1200 calories a day. If you don't, you can be preventing your body from getting nutrients you need (macros, micros, and vitamins).

Weight loss comes from a deficit. If you aren't losing, you aren't eating in a deficit (barring any medical reasons). If you are eating in a deficit and aren't losing, go to your doctor for a blood work up.

Make sure you are weighing all of your solid foods and measuring your liquids. Cups/tablespoons/etc are not accurate for solid foods. The most accurate way to measure is in grams.

Make sure you are using accurate diary entries. (I discovered not too long ago that the chicken entry I was using was off by about 50 calories for the serving I was eating every day, sometimes twice a day. That may not sound like much, but that was an extra 350-700 calories a week from just one food that I was eating. Imagine if all of the entries I used were off that much!!)
  • bluerun
    Options
    Thank you so much for the great responses.. I love the support!
    I am at 1200 ,I am lactose and gluten intolerant. You guys are correct I will start monitoring more of my foods and logging it. I don't eat breads, pasta or rice. :(
    Fruits, vegetables and GF crackers but they are causing me some Gastro issue and I feel very deprived and still not seeing results.
    I yet to find a balance not sure if i should do no Carbs, low Carbs, No Fat, so much information sometimes is overwhelming.

• bluerun
    Options
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    Calories don't know time. If you don't want to eat upon rising, don't. If you function better having lunch as your first meal, do that. Also, I only eat 3 meals a day. If 4-6 meals work for you, eat that way. If 1-2 large meals work for you, do that. There are many people who have had success eating a 16-8 hour intermittent fasting schedule (fast for 16 hours, eat their calorie goal in those 8 hours).

Starvation/Survival mode is a myth.

You should net at least 1200 calories a day. If you don't, you can be preventing your body from getting nutrients you need (macros, micros, and vitamins).

Weight loss comes from a deficit. If you aren't losing, you aren't eating in a deficit (barring any medical reasons). If you are eating in a deficit and aren't losing, go to your doctor for a blood work up.

Make sure you are weighing all of your solid foods and measuring your liquids. Cups/tablespoons/etc are not accurate for solid foods. The most accurate way to measure is in grams.

Make sure you are using accurate diary entries. (I discovered not too long ago that the chicken entry I was using was off by about 50 calories for the serving I was eating every day, sometimes twice a day. That may not sound like much, but that was an extra 350-700 calories a week from just one food that I was eating. Imagine if all of the entries I used were off that much!!)

that is what i am thinking my nuts and GF food are very high calories :)