Not losing weight with Insanity :-(

Options
I am on week 4 of insanity and bar 2 days when I came home after 10pm I have been doing the workouts religiously. I have tried to keep my calorie count around 1200 though I have had 3 naughty days where i went up to 1900. I must confess I could drink more water. Unfortunately on the scales I seen to to be the same weight I was when I started or fluctuated up by 4 pounds!! My waist line has not altered an inch. My friend who did the workout 3 months ago said by now she had lost 2 inches and 6 pounds by now. She only ate vegetables though and fish (I cant as am allergic) but also because I have 2 little boys - currentntly breastfeeding as well - I need and crave carbs which she says is a big no no!! I want to give up as so demoralised. Any ideas??? Please help - really demoralised!!

PS I am 5"6" and 158lbs, My ideal weight would be 140.

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    First 1200 is a very low calorie amount - I hope you're eating back some exercise calories. 2nd your diary is private so I can only offer general advice but usually if you think you're only eating 1200 and not losing your logging is off. Do you use a food scale? Track every single thing you put in your mouth? Calculate your exercise calories correctly if you are eating them back?
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    Currently breastfeeding AND doing Insanity? 1200 is not enough. Not nearly enough. You have needs here that aren't being met. Have you even read the Insanity Nutrition Guide? It tells you nobody following this program should be eating less than 1500. At your height/weight? More like 1800. Breastfeeding? Add a bit more.
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    Currently breastfeeding AND doing Insanity? 1200 is not enough. Not nearly enough. You have needs here that aren't being met. Have you even read the Insanity Nutrition Guide? It tells you nobody following this program should be eating less than 1500. At your height/weight? More like 1800. Breastfeeding? Add a bit more.

Yep. I would try to eat at least 2000. That way you're eating at least the minimum recommended by the program plus an additional 500 for breastfeeding.

• halimaiqbal00
    halimaiqbal00 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You're not eating anywhere near enough calories considering that you're working out AND breastfeeding
  • mummysweets33
    Options
    Thank you for the quick reply, I have been eating the calories back so the total perday after workout is about 1700. I do try and track as best as I can what passes my lips but have never used a food scale. On MFP app, i classify insanity as aerobics high intensity, does that seem ok?
  • scorpiophoenix
    scorpiophoenix Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'6" 154 and my daily goal is 1530 cals. If you're doing that much Insanity on only 1200cals then your body is probably hanging on to every bit that you go over on the other days. You don't have that much to lose. Set your loss to half a pound a week and try eating back some of your exercise cals. That should make you less likely to go over so frequently and easier to lose in the long run. Also, unless you have a medical condition carbs are not the enemy. I've lost 30lbs and my diet is at least 50% carbs.
  • funchords
    funchords Posts: 413 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Try on your tighter clothes and see if they're fitting better. Maybe your first tape measurement wasn't up to par. You should be seeing results.

That said, I personally would not expect new exercisers to lose weight on Insanity. I would expect them to trade fat for muscle until their physique catches up with these new demands -- that would explain the scale not moving, but it doesn't explain the waistline measurement.

If you want to lose weight, follow the recommendations of MFP and walk/run/dance at a weight-loss or aerobic heart rate for your sex/age. Do not add a ton of exercise unless you indeed want to add muscle at the expense of weight loss.
  • bfergusonii
    bfergusonii Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    1200 calories seems pretty low for Insanity. I am doing P90X3, consistently eating between 1500-1700 and am still losing about 4-6 lb. / month. At 1200 calories I would think that you are seriously missing the nutrients that you need.

That said, if you are indeed eating that low, doing Insanity and not losing, I suspect that your logging is way off.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    . I have tried to keep my calorie count around 1200.

I too started off doing Insanity eating a lot less than I should (my first round) But when I upped my calories, that's when I really started to see results. You really need to eat more if you're doing Insanity, you cannot be afraid to eat and fuel your body. Follow the Insanity nutrition plan and whatever your caloric goals are, reduce by ~500 to lose weight. When I did my first round of Insanity, I gained around 6-10lbs the first few weeks (all water weight) because my body wasn't used to this type of exercise. Your muscles are swelling and retaining water. When I upped my calories I started losing tons of weight during the 2nd month. I am on my 3rd round of Insanity, I'm 5'8, 159lbs and eat around 2500-2800 calories a day.
  • therocpile
    therocpile Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Based on your height and weight, I would eat around 1800-2000 calories a day. Friend me! I would like to monitor your progress and if you need any help, you can always message me.
  • carrizarxx
    carrizarxx Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    therocpile wrote: »
    . I have tried to keep my calorie count around 1200.

I too started off doing Insanity eating a lot less than I should (my first round) But when I upped my calories, that's when I really started to see results. You really need to eat more if you're doing Insanity, you cannot be afraid to eat and fuel your body. Follow the Insanity nutrition plan and whatever your caloric goals are, reduce by ~500 to lose weight. When I did my first round of Insanity, I gained around 6-10lbs the first few weeks (all water weight) because my body wasn't used to this type of exercise. Your muscles are swelling and retaining water. When I upped my calories I started losing tons of weight during the 2nd month. I am on my 3rd round of Insanity, I'm 5'8, 159lbs and eat around 2500-2800 calories a day.
    Firstly thank you because I'm on my first round of insanity max30 and in my first month gained like 8 pounds then lost that, but I haven't managed to make that scale budge, I walk loads and do the workouts and disappointed that the scale hasn't really moved but you have answered my question, I'm not eating enough n I'm not drinking hardly any water. I shall try and up my food intake and water........thank you
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Not losing with Insanity, that's crazy talk!
  • echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Maybe you should switch to something that *is* sane.