Radish as a potato substitute.

Options
So I have had the tasty radish "hashbrowns". Tonight I'm using them in my soup boiled. Here's hoping they are just as good.

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Wow, I'd not have thought of radish as a sub for potato - were they the small red ones or the big long white ones? Or other? I love radish but I haven't considered it anything more than a salad veg - I'm intrigued!
  • Aexanatomy
    Options
    I've never heard of radish as a potato substitute - but I'd be willing to give it a try! I've seen several recipes for cauliflower as a potato sub in for mashed 'potatoes' and the like, too.
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    Radish is NOT a potato!!!! :'(
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    why not just use real potatoes….??? :'(
  • Alatariel75
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm all for real potatoes and don't pretend that anything subbing is actually potato, but I imagine the peppery taste of a radish would be really tasty in a soup or a hash brown type thing. Same way I like mashed cauliflower with sour cream and cheese but would never call it a mashed potato substitute :wink:
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options
    I would not consider any kind of radish a potato substitute, have have while living a couple of decades in Asia eaten lots of cooked, baked or boiled radish. I really like sauteed small red radishes with chile as well as big chunks of Daikon radish stewed with pork, soy sauce, ginger and a bit of a sweetener. I think your soup will be great, it's just that if you think that radish is even remotely like potato, you might be a bit disappointed. Enjoy !
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    IMO it sounds gross…I will stick to my planned dinner of steak, roasted potatoes, and grilled squash...
  • IAmDoorKey
    Options
    Kim, let us know how the soup turns out. I love radishes! :smiley:
  • JenSD6
    JenSD6 Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    I pan fry radishes (round red ones) every now and then, and they're quite tasty. They have a different flavour when cooked than when raw, it's much more subtle.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    I know it won't actually taste like a real potato but cooking radishes mellows the flavor. They are no longer spicy and they become slightly sweet and tender. That's how they turned out when I sauteed them before.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    So let's say they are more "potato like" when you cook them. It's kinda one of those, "Don't knock it til you try it." Kind of things. It changes the texture and flavor a lot.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    Wow, I'd not have thought of radish as a sub for potato - were they the small red ones or the big long white ones? Or other? I love radish but I haven't considered it anything more than a salad veg - I'm intrigued!

The small red ones.

• KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    Ok. So IMO it took on the texture of a cooked carrot and soaked up the flavor of the broth. They are ok not fantastic. They actually turned out much better when I had sauteed them in the past. But overall its filling and quite low cal and less carbs then potatoes would have been.
  • KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I have thought about using radish in this way before. I used the long white ones as a potato sub in the past - don't do that. They are hot as heck. But like you, I love the red ones sautéed. Mmm mmm good. With salt.
  • Alatariel75
    Options
    I used radishes in coleslaw recently, along with the carrot and cabbage. They added a really nice zing, but they are the biggest pain in the *kitten* to grate.
  • KimWillBeThin81
    Options
    I had tried sauteed radishes in the past and they turned out pretty good. I had a nice size bag of radishes and figured i would give this a go. It turned out alright, like I said but not fantastic. I am willing to try new things and yeah its only 60 it so calories and .a 14 gram carb diff but eh every little change helps in the long run.
  • SnuggleSmacks
    SnuggleSmacks Posts: 3,732 Member
    Options
    Not sure why this is a thing.
    both_zps9e47de90.png
    Yeah, you save 61 calories (per 100g) and a whopping 14 carbs, but you're losing almost 45% of the potassium, and increasing your sodium intake. (Not that there's anything wrong with that by itself, barring a pre-existing medical condition.)

It's only about a 10 minute walk to burn that much, and unless you're eating potatoes in serious excess, is it really enough to make it worthwhile?

ETA: If it's a taste or texture thing, then sure. Radishes are pretty good.

For us smaller folk, even eating at a small deficit doesn't leave us a whole lot of calories to play around with. Those 60 calories can mean the difference between having a snack or not, or perhaps having ice cream instead of celery sticks at the end of the day. Personally, I eat the potatoes, but I also love to find new and different tastes, so cooked radish, sunchokes, jicama, yucca, and a whole slew of winter squash currently occupy the space on my plate that a potato might have.

• hortensehildegarde
    hortensehildegarde Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    awww radishes are amazing! So this may be a stupid question but when sauteing them, what did you do? I normally "saute" with just using a spritz of cooking spray in a non-stick or with a bit of water (I guess this is more like blanching?) Would something like that work? I am a bit cooking inept.