Binge Eating Issues

Options
I have a really bad problem with binge eating: no matter how great my desire to lose weight, I absolutely can't control myself. How can I learn self-control and to eat less? I've stopped counting my calories, but I can assume I'm at around 2500-3000 calories a day which is waaaaay more than I should be eating. My weight fluxuates a lot; I recently gained a few pounds, lost 7, and now I've gained 9. I seem to be stuck and unable to lose anymore weight. I'm an 18 year old female who's 5'3". I don't want this to be a problem for the rest of my life.

Replies

• Bloodbury
    Options
    Try fasting, don't eat from the moment you wake up to around 8:30pm in the evening. Your body will go into shock. between 8:30 to 10:30 consume 1500 calories. Do this for seven days. You will develop self control needed to stop these desires.
  • lemonlionheart
    lemonlionheart Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Start by just tracking everything you eat, even if you're not actively trying to stay in your goal. Maybe you can set your calorie goal to maintenance and just try to stick to that for a while, then gradually reduce your cals once you are back on track? Remember, you absolutely CAN control yourself, you are just finding it hard at the moment for whatever reason. Try practicing mindfulness, and listening to your body. Learn to catch yourself when you start a binge and instead of saying 'screw it, I'll try again tomorrow' take a few deep breaths and ask yourself if this is what you want. Be kind to yourself- you might see those numbers in the red a few times and maybe you'll binge but perhaps today's won't be as bad as yesterday because you stopped yourself and didn't have that last whatever it was you felt like eating. One day at a time! :)
  • Beckilovespizza
    Beckilovespizza Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I have a problem with binge eating and for me it is a real mind over matter issue. Personally i find working out helps a lot, if i bust my *kitten* at the gym for an hour i mentally just do not want to binge. I fell off the maintenance wagon because of binging and my clothes stopped fitting nicely, to have motivation such as fitting back into clothes also helped a lot. Maybe try upping you calories by a couple of hundred may help? Also defo keep tracking if you can, it's the only way of taking responsibility for what you eat. Good luck to you!
  • healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    This is my best advice cause I was a binge eater also:
    When you do start to restrict your calories to lose-don't restrict too much!!! That kind of restriction WILL set you up for a binge!
    Set MFP to lose 1/2 pound per week at first and eat the calories allotted to you. If you feel satisfied, you can try setting it to lose 1 pound per week. Then stay at that setting. If you exercise then eat 1/2 your exercise calories back. Drink lots of water. Work in at least one favorite treat a day. Eat food you like but also eat veggies, beans, some nuts and lots of protein. These foods will keep you satisfied. An eating plan to lose weight must not leave you hungry and I satisfied or it will not work!
    If you do this and you're still bingeing a lot, see a therapist to discuss why you may be doing this.
    If you binge still once in a while-FORGIVE yourself right away-be loving and kind to yourself and get back to your eating plan IMEDIATELY!!!!! People who have the most success with weightloss are those who don't give up despite the binges.
    You can do it!
  • Fatbuster205
    Fatbuster205 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »
    Bloodbury wrote: »
    Try fasting, don't eat from the moment you wake up to around 8:30pm in the evening. Your body will go into shock. between 8:30 to 10:30 consume 1500 calories. Do this for seven days. You will develop self control needed to stop these desires.

That's just really bad advice.

I agree!
  • oedipa_maas
    oedipa_maas Posts: 577 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    MrM27 wrote: »

That's just really bad advice.

I agree!

Ditto. Yikes.

OP, I have been there. There have been two factors that have led to binging for me: Not eating enough and dealing with difficult emotions by relying on food to numb me.

As for the first reason, it's really important to create a small deficit if you want to lose weight, but it's VERY important to eat enough. As others have said, try tracking your food, really commit to it. Don't be afraid about what you might see. I was bulimic and received special ED treatment for 3 years. One of the recommendations of my therapist was to track food. NOT to make myself crazy, but to plan meals in advance and face whether I was starving myself to lose weight. I thought it would make my ED worse to track food, but it didn't. It really helped. It helped me too to know what I ate if I binged. I could see if I set myself up for it by starving myself preceding the binge, to practice being gentle with myself by looking at what I ate and saying, "It happened, but I am still a good worthwhile person, and I can move on and not give up." Sometimes what I considered a binge was just my body trying to get the food I had been denying it.

I found the emotional component significant. I dealt with pain and grief by eating eating eating or starving starving starving. Both behaviors have hurt my efforts to take care of myself, naturally, and trying to lose weight safely, carefully, and slowly. And I'm going to confess--I am still struggling with this after tons of therapeutic work, behavioral therapy (specifically, dialectical behavioral therapy which focuses on methods to deal with emotional distress), and determination. I don't binge like I used to, but I do undereat and then overeat because I can't give up the "I have to lose the weight fast." It's true I've lost 30 pounds, but it's been very, very hard to lose while not triggering my ED, from which I have mostly recovered, despite some bad habits. I'm miles from where I used to be.

All of this to say, make sure you eat enough and attend to any emotions that you might be numbing/avoiding by abusing food. Don't feel despair--you really can do this. It's hard at first, and you're not going to be perfect (perfectionism has not helped me), but practice in anything will help ingrain habits that promote self care. Good luck to you and all good thoughts!
  • Raynne413
    Raynne413 Posts: 1,527 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately, I have a lot of experience with binge eating.

I started out losing weight by only counting calories when I was 300 lbs, and I was eating 1500 calories a day. Then I moved to only counting calories and eating 1200 calories a day. Then I plateaued and added exercise. Eventually I moved to eating around 1000 calories and working out for around 3 hours a day when I could manage it. I thought, well, if a little exercise is good, more must be better. And if 1200 calories was good, less must be better. On top of that, I was eating very little fat. I was good for about a year, and ended up losing down to around 110. Then, out of nowhere, uncontrollable binges would start. I would go crazy with anything that contained carbs and fat. And then after my binges, I would go crazy again with over restricting and over exercising to "make up" for those binges. I got desperate because I was gaining weight back, and I just couldn't get out of the cycle, so I decided to get help (with the strong urging of several friends).

I ended up seeing a nutritionist that specialized in eating disorders. She taught me several things that were a BIG help. The first thing was that I was sleep deprived because I was getting up at 4 am to work out, but going to bed around midnight (I had just started dating my boyfriend). Being sleep deprived can make you crave carbs. The second was that my body was going crazy craving carbs and fat because I was expending energy like crazy, but never replenishing. I needed to start eating more, and working out less.

It's still hard to find a balance, but as long as I listened to her AND listen to my body, I have very little issues now. The below is what I try to keep in mind, and what I suggest for anyone else having problems:

1) Make sure you get enough sleep
    2) Make sure you are eating enough (especially enough fat)
    3) Don't over exercise, and make sure you eat enough for you level of activity
    4) DON'T try to "make up" for binges.
  • girlviernes
    girlviernes Posts: 2,402 Member
    Options
    Some great advice in this thread. For me it really helped to just log log log. Try to log today whatever happens. That's your starting point. Once you are willing to look at and be kind but real to yourself about your behavior, that's where change can happen.
  • roseyposey415
    Options
    Thank you so much to everybody! This is really great advice and I deffinitely will keep it all in mind when trying to control myself. Everything you said is much appreciated.
  • Lyndsay137
    Lyndsay137 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    The best advice I can give is to just log everything, even if youre not eating at a deficit. Then reduce it gradually, or focus on one thing a week...say you'll cut out full sugar drinks or all chocolate etc. It feels a lot less overwhelming doing it slowly then suddenly dropping from 3000 to 1500 etc :smile:

And drink water...LOTS of water. That always helps :smiley:
    x
  • phrazer
    phrazer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    In addition to the advice others have given, I have also found hypnotherapy helpful for me. There is a free app you could try - if you search for Glenn Harrold Lose Weight Lite (the free version) you should find it.
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Start by just tracking everything you eat, even if you're not actively trying to stay in your goal. Maybe you can set your calorie goal to maintenance and just try to stick to that for a while, then gradually reduce your cals once you are back on track? Remember, you absolutely CAN control yourself, you are just finding it hard at the moment for whatever reason. Try practicing mindfulness, and listening to your body. Learn to catch yourself when you start a binge and instead of saying 'screw it, I'll try again tomorrow' take a few deep breaths and ask yourself if this is what you want. Be kind to yourself- you might see those numbers in the red a few times and maybe you'll binge but perhaps today's won't be as bad as yesterday because you stopped yourself and didn't have that last whatever it was you felt like eating. One day at a time! :)

and also this comment from a different user, sorry, I don't know how to quote two!
    1) Make sure you get enough sleep
    2) Make sure you are eating enough (especially enough fat)
    3) Don't over exercise, and make sure you eat enough for you level of activity
    4) DON'T try to "make up" for binges
    This is excellent advice, log it (no matter how ugly, my diary is sometimes ridiculous!), learn from it, move on straight away, don't let one binge turn into a week or month.
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Great advice here! Log your calories, exercise and I cannot agree with healthygreek enough, do NOT restrict too much or you set yourself up for failure. The worst thing anyone can do is restrict to the point where you stop enjoying life and stress over every little bite you eat. I've been doing maintenance for 7 or so years now and even I deal with binge issues. We're all human and life happens :D
  • runnerchick69
    runnerchick69 Posts: 317 Member
    Options

Bad, bad, bad!
  • danielletogether4health
    Options
    It has taken me 54 years but I have finally gotten on track and have been binge free for 125 days.
    I am more thrilled about this number than all the pounds I have released. There is a lot of good ides on this thread. You really have to be super nice to yourself, figure out what is eating you rather than eating it and get daily doses of moral support from your friends on MFP!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,151 Member
    Options
    Logging calories is your best bet.
  • Cinarocket
    Cinarocket Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    The biggest step is at the store IMO. There are a lot of bad addictive food out there and if you put yourself in a position where that food is available it's just not good.

Make sure you make good dinner that will keep you satisfied for hours rather than a light dinner that will make you want to binge eat not long after.

Alternatively, there is some food that will help u cut the hunger such as pistachios, nuts in general, etc..
  • michellekornberger
    Options
    I am currently in recovery from BED and have been involved in intense therapy to help the issue. I would love some friends here to help support me during my recovery. It's nice to know someone else "gets it".
  • terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Have you figured out what makes you binge? Are there certain trigger points? Cravings for food? Identifying these things (along with the other posters' advice about tracking calories and lifestyle adjustments) will help you to fight the binges. You can find ways to counteract the things that trigger you to binge.