Logging home made stock??

Options
I am wondering how I can add my homemade chicken stock to my recipes...
I have the ingredients I put in written down - but because the things I used aren't staying IN the stock... how would I count it?

I would be using this stock as a base for soups and to cook rice - but I have no idea how I would log it....

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I would just log it as store bought stock or a little higher since you probably use more meat.
  • tracymayo1
    tracymayo1 Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I would just log it as store bought stock or a little higher since you probably use more meat.

But that is where I am not sure... see I REMOVE all the meat and veg so I am left with ONLY the flavored water as it were...

when I make my soup I would add the meat and veg and weigh it all and create a SOUP recipe - but I don't know what I can put for the broth.... If I use storebought, it will be totally off.. I don't add any salt or anything, its just 6 cups of water, and whatever cooked off the stuff I put in to flavour it...
  • mountainmare
    mountainmare Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    There is an entry for homemade stock from bones (Betty Crocker cookbook I think) in the data base. I make my own stock and use that, can't stand the watery store stuff and think all the good stuff the bones give is better...might be why I have great nails!
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Stock is hard. Make sure you skim all the fat of and I usually do about 50 calories per cup. It may be over estimating but I figure the collagen (sp?) and some fat/particles are still in there.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    tracymayo1 wrote: »

But that is where I am not sure... see I REMOVE all the meat and veg so I am left with ONLY the flavored water as it were...

when I make my soup I would add the meat and veg and weigh it all and create a SOUP recipe - but I don't know what I can put for the broth.... If I use storebought, it will be totally off.. I don't add any salt or anything, its just 6 cups of water, and whatever cooked off the stuff I put in to flavour it...
    I doubt the veggies leave much caloric in the water but the meat does leave fat and gelatin. But since you don't know how much you may as well use a storebought stock estimate, in my opinion. But I don't track sodium, so I don't care about the salt. But there are low-salt carton stocks, too.

Chicken stock is generally pretty low cal, so whichever you do is not going to matter much, unless you're drinking a gallon a day or something. There is an illusion of accuracy here that doesn't really exist in calorie tracking, if you ask me.
  • tracymayo1
    edited October 2014
    Options
    There is an entry for homemade stock from bones (Betty Crocker cookbook I think) in the data base. I make my own stock and use that, can't stand the watery store stuff and think all the good stuff the bones give is better...might be why I have great nails!

Fantastic! I will look that up and see what it comes to. I just figure anything from bones would be way more accurate. Someone below mentioned about 50 calories for cup being an overestimate... really???? seems like so little... but really I guess it is mostly water.

I also want to confirm, I DO scoop our the fat from the top. I have boiled everything put in fridge, skimmed, reheated, put back in fridge last night, and will remove more fat again today when I get home.

I suppose I can then measure how many cups are left (from evaporation etc.. from the 12 cups I put in) and calculate 50 calories each cup....

It won't be exact, but like Walking Along says - calorie counting is never exact!

I did find this one on the database. I think I would remove half the sodium and other stuff, Calories seem high, but I would rather a bit too many than too few:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/food/calorie-chart-nutrition-facts

• CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't even bother counting that to be perfectly honest. Unless, like some have pointed out, that there is a 1 inch film of fat floating on the top :)

When I see people counting things like a cup of diced cucumber, any amount of lettuce and vegetable stock towards their daily calories, it raises some flags that they are likely on a severe calorie deficit. For veggies, if it's not starchy, don't even worry about it.
  • tracymayo1
    Options
    I tend to log everything... I do understand what you are saying though Cdnrower! For me, its more that those 86 calories on a "close to limit" day could mean the difference between me having my chocolate fix or not ;) I dont think I would count all the other things listed on - like the salt or whatnot - I dont add salt to anything I cook, not that I have an issue with Sodium at all... I just dont want to add it... so I may just record the actual calories...
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    I log everything. Even a piece of cucumber at 100 g, cause I'm not only logging kcal. I don't want too much vit A and I do want more potassium.