Is it normal to not be friends with your ex?

Options
A few recent comments where people said they wanted to lose weight to prove something to their ex made me wonder...

I am friends with every ex I have not lost track of. They are awesome people (obviously or I wouldn't have been with them. Duh.)

But the comments got me to wonder- do most people not stay friends with their romantic ex's?

Why would you ever have been with them if you'd be ok to lose them as friends?

I guess I always felt like I'd like to keep the important people that I love in my life, even when the space they properly fit in isn't the one I originally tried to put them in. Is that abnormal or am I just reading the odd set of responses of jaded ex's on the forums?

Replies

• _Tink_
    _Tink_ Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Remaining friends with my ex would have made that restraining order problematic to enforce.
  • sixout
    sixout Posts: 3,129 Member
    Options
    Not all breakups are civil. When they're not civil, you don't get along after. That's why.
  • yopeeps025
    yopeeps025 Posts: 8,680 Member
    Options
    Glad to see OP does not get into relationship with people that get crazy after breakups.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    A few recent comments where people said they wanted to lose weight to prove something to their ex made me wonder...

I am friends with every ex I have not lost track of. They are awesome people (obviously or I wouldn't have been with them. Duh.)

But the comments got me to wonder- do most people not stay friends with their romantic ex's?

Why would you ever have been with them if you'd be ok to lose them as friends?

I guess I always felt like I'd like to keep the important people that I love in my life, even when the space they properly fit in isn't the one I originally tried to put them in. Is that abnormal or am I just reading the odd set of responses of jaded ex's on the forums?

there's a couple things here. First, most relationships don't end like this:

Person 1: "well, that was a great time. But i think it's run it's course and we should not date anymore."
    Person 2: "I agree. We had a fun while it lasted, but it is clear we don't have any long-term romantic potential. Get coffee tomorrow?"
    Person 1: "Sure"

It's usually pretty emotional and there could be some betrayal that happened, or abuse, or something. Even if there isn't something negative happening, usually one of the parties wants to stay in the relationship while the other does not and staying close just feed the hopes of the person who wants to keep the relationship going.

Secondly, people generally don't post about their mundane, healthy relationships. If I am friends with 3 of my exes but have 1 crazy one who does crazy things, then guess which one I am more likely to post about. When I worked in a customer service call center, I always told my teams "There are people out there who love our products/services, but you'll never hear from them."

So while there may be plenty out there that have some relationships with their exes, they don't post about them, because those people aren't the ones creating drama.

The end.

• Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    `Yeah I tried but he got a little pissy when I got myself a new man
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    hmm...being friends with my ex. I really try not to be bitter but, no way. Would rather forget him altogether tbh.
  • AngieM76
    AngieM76 Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I am friends with one ex and that is my ex husband. We have two kids together and we are much better at the friend thing than we were at the marriage thing. I can only think if one other ex that is on my FB but I dont think I would consider us friends.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm not interested in being friends with any exes. I have friends.
  • xmarye
    xmarye Posts: 385 Member
    Options

I totally agree with you.

But then again, I did not have any good experience that would make me want to stay friend with any of my ex's. Lies, cheating and abuse does not interest me at all. I've never been lucky in love, until I met my husband. :) But one is all I need <3
  • Tab122377
    Tab122377 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I tolerate my ex due to having a child with him. Other then that there nothing more. but then again the time he dropped he was having an affair made it all heard. My father was in ER not sure if he live or die and i was 9 months pregnant. and a week later he showed up at my house with her and they stayed in the spare room. Need less to say him and i don't get along to well
  • JtKeil
    JtKeil Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options

pretty much! In an ideal world it would be great for everything to be roses and sunshine but unfortunately relationships rarely play out that way.

• 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    There are billions of relationships, most of them fail. Nearly everyone has exes. Its not surprising that some people have very rough relationships and dont split up on good terms becayse some people are incompatible or even just not nice. Perhaps you vet yours a little more or have been lucky, but some peoples true nature can stay hidden or they change.

Good if you stay friends because you have shared something good, but you also get the other side as many exes are good to get away from completely, so you have been lucky and it isnt a question of what is normal. Fortunately I havent had one of those really bad relationships, am philosophical about things. I do find myself telling most of my friends to make a clean break when they split up though as an abusive ex can be a very unhealthy thing.
  • crowleynm
    Options
    My parents, to this day, have remained close friends after their divorce in the 80's. And both have remarried to someone else.
  • TX_Rhon
    TX_Rhon Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    I am still friends with a few and there are some I'd rather forget.
  • bmoncada1
    bmoncada1 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    every relationshop will be different. Sometimes you can be friend w an ex, other times hell no
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I'm not "friends" with any of my exes. That is to say, we don't hang out. I'm friendly when I see some of them out in public, but that's as far as it goes.

Edited for grammar.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    I am friends with a few of my exes - we actually vacation with one and his wife. Another helps me with various household projects and works at my dad's business when we need extra people. Our breakups weren't super easy or fun, but they weren't caused by lies or infidelity -- we took time got over what we needed to get over -- and then moved forward.
  • nickysbt
    Options
    I don't find it odd to be friends with exes, but that's because everyone I've dated has started off as a friend. I feel like it's probably an easier transition to make than if you've only known someone in a romantic context.
  • redman1740
    redman1740 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    For some people, being friends with their ex(s) can work, not so much for the majority. Listen to the song "Can't be friends" by Trey Songz :wink:
  • richardositosanchez
    richardositosanchez Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I don't stay friends with my ex's. They're no longer a part of my life, what's the point? As far as losing weight to prove something to the ex, you should do it for yourself.