Good protein bars?

Options

Replies

• stevehawkins99
    stevehawkins99 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    why not buy some why protein and you will get that from 1 scoop..
  • KarenJanine
    KarenJanine Posts: 3,497 Member
    Options
    What do you eat?! Most people would get 57g without trying. The following will be generally be cheaper and more easily accessible than protein powders or bars:

Eggs / egg whites
    Meat - chicken, turkey, pork, steak
    Meat alternatives - Quorn, seitan, soy products, jerky
    Milk
    Cheese / cottage cheese / quark
    Greek yoghurt
    Edamame
    Nuts / seeds
    Fish / seafood
    Green vegetables

Whole grain foods will also come with some protein - e.g. pasta, rice, bagels, bread

After eating a balanced diet and you are still struggling to hit your protein macro then it might be worth considering protein powders or bars.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    57 Grams of protein a day isn't very much really. As other said, Quest bars the best. Expensive but worth it. I bought some Pure Protein bars Tuesday and ate one for dinner and I now remember why I love Quest bars the best. The Pure Protein bars just didn't taste good and I felt like crap after one too. The Quest bars have "good carbs" (fiber carbs) too!
  • TN42
    TN42 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You're an 18 year old male? How little are you eating that 50 grams of protein is hard? I can get 50 grams from a single regular meal, often up closer to 80 grams. Do you never eat meat, dairy, eggs, or beans? I'm struggling to imagine what sort of diet you might have that could make such low protein possible.
  • chad_phillips1123
    chad_phillips1123 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Premier Nutrition - 290 cals with 30g protein. That said I agree with others that you should be able to get 25-50g of protein from eating; just add some chicken or pork.
  • LifeOnMars_
    LifeOnMars_ Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Love Pure Protein bars. So yummy, best I have tried.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    I prefer real food, but I can see the value in having a protein drink immediately after gym. Half a chicken isnt hard to eat.
  • benwiltbank
    benwiltbank Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Quest Bars are good but expensive. I recently found Fortifx Fit Crunch Bars and the are by FAR the best tasting out there. They seriously taste better than just about any candy bar there is. Not as good nutrition wise as Quest but definitely the best tasting and way cheaper.
  • Philp0718
    Philp0718 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, the cookies and crème as well as the cookie dough flavours are awesome! They don't taste like a typical protein bar, they seem more of a treat :)
  • Butrovich
    Butrovich Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Questbar!

Double chocolate fudge + 5secs in Microwave = Tastes like warm fudge brownie!
    (be sure no to put the wrapper in the microwave when you do this)
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I like the Pure Protein bars, only 2 grams of sugar. Yes, it also has sugar alcohols which is a sugar substitute. They are around 200 calories a bar so I just eat one half of a bar which results in a 100 calorie snack. Premier Protein makes some good tasting ones too but they are huge in size, I cut those down to thirds. I don't have the specs for those but you can look them up on their website or here on MFP. I buy both of these bars at either Sams Club or Costco which means they are less expensive there. Mainly I want to stay away from all of these because they kinda make me think I am eating candy. I'm not big on candy or candy bars in the first place.
  • carolemack
    carolemack Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    Quest bars...hands down! :)
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    You ought to be able to get 57 through food easily. Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, milk, fish, chicken, beef, eggs, etc.

Personally I like Think Thin bars a lot more than Quest. I have no idea whether the ingredients list would worry you or not. There are almost no ingredients that have been approved by the FDA that I find worrisome (I try to avoid trans fats if it's convenient. And that's it.)
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    The Snickers protein bars basically taste like a Snickers (er, not really, but close enough for 20g of protein/300 cals). Pure Protein is cheap as phuck...very good for shopping on a budget. EAS Myoplex bars are an old go-to for me, but are somewhat costly.

Protein powder is going to trump bars in value and protein/cal ratio every time, though.
  • Coolhandkid
    Coolhandkid Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Quest cookie dough. I could eat em for breakfast lunch and dinner.
  • giggitygoo
    giggitygoo Posts: 1,978 Member
    Options
    Have you considered adding more protein into your actual meals?

You can easily get more protein in by just swapping some of your choices around.

That said, quest bars are really good. Bodybuilding.com has a promo running for them still I think.
  • EDollah
    EDollah Posts: 464 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Anyone tried the new MusclePharm bars - Combat Crunch? They're fairly new to the market and have positive reviews online. But I know how those reviews can be manipulated so I'm curious if anyone here has tried them and what they thought.
  • simplydelish2
    simplydelish2 Posts: 726 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    If you eat ham in the a.m. obviously you aren't vegan or vegetarian. Boneless, skinless chicken or turkey breast provides great protein. Bars - filled with junk and most taste really bad. I've tried the Quest bars and they have a lot of protein - but they have no texture, all taste the same, and aren't really that good. As far as bars go, Atkins is my favorite - but they are not really high protein.
  • AceCC86
    AceCC86 Posts: 71
    Options
    Am I the only person that thinks Quest bars taste like poison?
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    AceCC86 wrote: »
    Am I the only person that thinks Quest bars taste like poison?

You're not the only one. I like a couple of the flavors okay, if I don't have the calories for Think Thin. But I know a lot of people who can't tolerate any of them.