Bootcamp- does it work for you?

Options
Hello all!

I recently started this bootcamp program that is 2x a week for 6 weeks. I am reading that people who do this bootcamp or other bootcamps have lost 10-12 lbs, 10% body fat, 2 dress sizes and so on.

My question is... have any of you actually experienced this!?!?! If so, did you make any other changes aside from adding a bootcamp to your routine?

I am in my third week, I definitely feel stronger and notice the classes aren't crippling me afterwards any more, but I haven't gone down in weight. I did take my measurements a few days ago, and will compare them to the 6 week marker to see if it is working for me and I'm going to try to run at least 2x a week...

Replies

• mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Hi Scorpio (I'm one too). Just curious- are you not losing weight because they are telling you to eat a ton of carbs to get through the workouts? I only ask because that happened to a friend of mine. He wanted to lose belly fat but the bootcamp instructors were encouraging people to eat a lot of carbs at night to prepare for their morning workouts.
  • bettis69
    bettis69 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm in bootcamp 3X a week for 60 minutes and its all sand workouts. I love it and do see results but for me I have to add my own running or cardio at the gym to see results.
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I haven't really changed what I'm eating much, I eat between 1300-1600 calories per day (except for Easter) and eat pretty healthy, no sugar or processed foods or soda. I'm definitely not carbo-loading before a bootcamp class. The instructors just say to come fueled and not on an empty stomach. I usually have a granola bar or apple about 2 hours before the class.

I'm thinking keep the calories closer to 1300 not 1600...?!?!
  • Legs_McGee
    Legs_McGee Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    I've been doing boot camp since January 2010 - each cycle is 12 weeks (hour long class, 3x a week). Last week I started my 6th cycle. The first time through I only lost 6 pounds, but I lost 8% body fat. I held pretty steady throughout the next several cycles - probably because even though I was doing boot camp and I'm a runner, I eat A LOT - but I joined MFP at the beginning of my last cycle and during that 12 week cycle I lost 17.8 pounds and another 5.6% body fat. So calorie counting was key. I also run 4x a week, 25-35 miles (but I was doing that all along). I've seen a lot of changes in my body though - muscle tone and definition.
  • mursey
    mursey Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I don't know, for me nothing works too well except low carbing all the time (ok, one cheat maybe on weekends ) , and it takes a few months of cardio and weight training in conjunction with that to star my weight loss. After a few months it somehow gets much easier for me to maintain things without working AS hard. . . but it always takes about 2 or 3 months for me. I don't know why. Maybe some people's metabolisms need a little longer to "kick into higher gear"?

I would try working out at least 3 times a week though, like the others have said.
  • moylie
    moylie Posts: 195
    Options
    I have been doing a bootcamp for about 8 months. The first notable change was that all my bloodwork reflected healthy levels. I have grown stronger, as well. I first was only using 5lb. weights. Now I'm up to 10-12's, plus 20's for some exercises. I was getting more toned, but not noticing any real weight loss..... until I started TRACKING CALORIES on MFP. I think I mistakenly thought that w/ all the workouts I was doing, it gave me free license to eat whatever and however much I wanted. WRONG!!! My boot camp instructor actually pointed me towards tracking calories. It's only since I started MFP that I've been dropping weight. I'm also a runner, and have a 10-mile and half-marathon goals set. If it weren't for bootcamp, I don't think I'd have the endurance to help w/ the running. They are both a good balance for one another.
  • sweetscorpio17
    sweetscorpio17 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I think my goal will be to do the bootcamp 2x a week and run 3-5miles at least 3x a week. Hopefully this works! I should probably cut back on the amount I'm eating as well, or at least eliminate my random days where I go over 1600.

Thanks for all your help and feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!