Alcohol is it a total no no ?? Anyone have some low cal alternatives ?

Options
Just wondering if there are any drinks that wouldnt be considered as high in calories as some others? Or should I be giving it up completely ?
Thanks

Replies

• 0dreamer0
    Options
    I drink vodka-water-bar lime...
    its basically a shot or two of vodka and mostly water with a dash of lime... or lemon if you wish.
    I love my beer and wine but I had to switch it up when I decided to make these changes.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I save calories up and either drink hard liquors with diet soda or in water with flavored sugar-free/0 cal stuff, like Mio. Or just on the rocks. Ummm....now I want some scotch!

If it's something you can enjoy in moderation, no need to give it up. You just need to save your calories if you really want it.
  • michellebutler73345
    Options
    Sorry might be a stupid question but is that a lime or lemon wedge ?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    When I was dieting I drank vodka or whiskey and soda or vodka and diet tonics primarily.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    If you have calories for it, you're good to go. Avoid mixers if at all possible as they pack on the calories (unless its diet and that tastes icky).
  • libbydoodle11
    libbydoodle11 Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    I always used to mix sparkling water with my vodka.
  • 0dreamer0
    Options
    Sorry might be a stupid question but is that a lime or lemon wedge ?

There is lemon and lime juice you can buy at the grocery store... or yes, the simple wedge. If I'm making it at home, I add a bit of juice and a wedge.
    It's kind of hit and miss until you find what your taste preference is
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    Gin and slimline tonic instead of my white wine. Less inclined to nibble when drinking gin compared to craving doritos while drinking white wine.
  • 0dreamer0
    Options
    fobs13 wrote: »
    Gin and slimline tonic instead of my white wine. Less inclined to nibble when drinking gin compared to craving doritos while drinking white wine.

mmm doritos
  • fobs13
    fobs13 Posts: 1,080 Member
    Options
    @0dreamer0 I know Doritos are my downfall. Especially the chilli heatwave. Could eat a 200g bag so have to avoid them completely as no half measures!
  • mymodernbabylon
    mymodernbabylon Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I drink whatever I enjoy and fit it within my macros. So I have beer, wine, vodka.
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
  • Time4Coffee
    Time4Coffee Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    "Skinnygirl Cocktails" and "Hungry Girl" have a few ideas (hungry-girl.com/search?keyword=cocktails) I tend to avoid anything sweet.
  • BethClicks
    BethClicks Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I like a nice Gin and seltzer with a twist of lime :) Low cal to boot!
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I usually go with vodka water and a lemon ..but I do still drink beer, especially during beach and football season ...I just try to make room for it on the weekend. I do not drink during the wee ...
  • michellebutler73345
    Options
    great thanks for all the good tips everyone
  • bmerrim
    Options
    As a former bartender I think I have some great suggestions for you. I know that drinking vodka-water can get very tedious after a time, especially if you're used to drinking more flavorful mixed drinks. Get yourself a good muddler and a fruit juicer (you can get a plastic hand-held one at the dollar store!) and just let your imagination run wild. In addition to counting calories when I drink, I honestly just try to sneak in as many "good" things as I can.
    A few of my favorites: muddle blueberries and sage in a mixer, add gin (or vodka), pour over ice and enjoy with a splash of club soda. A mojito (clear rum, muddled mint, half a lime, club soda, sugar) is a great drink and if you're making it yourself you can sub the simple sugar out for something a little better (agave or stevia, perhaps). Muddled strawberries and jalapeno goes GREAT with some tequila. The list is seriously endless here. When I'm craving a Bloody Mary, I make my own mix with my juicer, but you could also just use V8 and add your own spices. I also love mixing alcohol with coconut water (I know that sounds weird). I will sometimes take my own coconut water out to a bar with me, get a Grey Goose (or whatever) on the rocks, and add my own coconut water for flavor.
    Don't be afraid of infusing your own alcohol, either! It's actually pretty simple - take some booze, take whatever you want to infuse it with (fruit, veggies, herbs) and store them in a jar together for a few days. Serve with club soda or tonic. Pepper-infused vodka (BLOODY MARYS ANYONE?!), jalapeno-infused tequila, pineapple soju! If you can dream it up, you can infuse it, and the best part is that you know exactly what is in your alcohol.
    Speaking of soju, if you've never had it now is the time to find some (I get mine at the local liquor store). It is a Korean sweet potato liquor with about 60 calories per serving (that's half the calories of a serving of vodka), and tastes pretty much like vodka. Which means it mixes well!
    Obviously all of this is contingent on how many calories you save up, but if I plan on drinking I make sure to save up a few hundred calories (run a little farther that day!) to be on the safe side. If you're going out to a bar you can just tell the bartender you're on a diet and they should be able to help (unless you're at a dive, then just go for the unflavored vodka+water! lol). Just stay away from really sweet drinks - things like moscato, flavored vodka, flavored rums...unless they are infused in-house (some places do that!), its probably just all sugar so beware!
    Hope this helps. :)
  • jrline
    jrline Posts: 2,353 Member
    Options
    you can have whatever you want just log it and workout extra if you are over calories.

29509743.png
  • brodi3man
    brodi3man Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    1 night of drinking isn't going to make you fat. As long as its not every night :)