Just how bad is sugar?

Options
hi! I hope this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering just how bad is sugar?

I eat a mostly balanced diet, but I feel my sugar intake is around 80g each day. I have read on some websites that it should only be around 24g! Added or natural sugars!

Is there any truth to this, or do I not need to worry about it as much as I am?

For example, in an average day the main places I usually get my sugar from are 2-3 portions of fruit, cup of milk, 1 cup of plain yogurt, veggies such as carrots or sweetcorn, a muller corner dessert.
Sometimes there could be more sugar if dinner has a tomato like sauce etc...

Is it unhealthy to be consuming this much sugar?

Thankyou for your help! :smile:

Replies

• Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    In the context of calorie restriction, reasonable macronutrient balance, and no medical issues, there's no evidence that any amount will hurt you.
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my JAM son :cookie:
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I get that much in my daily candy bars.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    Oh good grief...

Also in for how people shouldn't eat fruit and veg because they have sugar...
  • explosivedonut
    explosivedonut Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had a gram of sugar once. It caused my to die, horribly. In all seriousness, no, sugar isn't bad for you. But anything in excess is bad. Don't eat only apples, cherries, and bananas and you should be fine :)

Also, @Chief_Rocka, I heave a sweater with that image on it :P
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    No, there's no truth to it.*

*Unless you have a medical reason to restrict sugar intake.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Options
    Sugar raped my dog
  • Camo_xxx
    Camo_xxx Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Your body is a dual fuel engine, you can burn sugar or fat. The only bad thing about sugar is it is easy to overeat but it is a great source of quick energy.
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it assuming no medical conditions. I don't even track sugar, just overall carbs. Unless you're eating so much sugar that you're not getting enough protein, fat, or veggies, it's not an issue.
  • J72FIT
    J72FIT Posts: 5,948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    As good or bad as any other nutrient. If eaten to excess (depending on the person), it can be problematic. If not, no problemo...
  • FitForL1fe
    FitForL1fe Posts: 1,872 Member
    Options
    Sugar raped my dog

I'm so sorry about your dog. :cry:
  • lemonyradiomen
    lemonyradiomen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Well it depends. If these sites that say you should limit yourself to 24 g sugar cite evidence that you trust, or if you have a specific reason to want to limit your sugars (so you can save more calories for protein, for example, or if you think you might be experiencing blood sugar issues, diabetes runs in the family, etc.) then that's a choice you have to make for yourself. I'm sure you know that will mean not purchasing processed foods with added sugars or fruit-derived sweetness (yogurt, bread, and especially any kind of sauce or condiment!) and cutting back on high-sugar fruits in favor of non-starchy vegetables. But I'm in agreement with everyone else, your diet sounds healthful and conducive to weight loss even if you have ~80g sugar. Personally, I try to keep sugar and other carbs down to save for protein because I strength train and have a 1200 calorie goal :/
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    The forummers get excited about is sugar evil threads. I am with the dont worry about it too much as being overweight is much more of an issue. Just eat it in moderation and as part of your overall calorie plan.
  • evilqueencathy
    evilqueencathy Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I don't think that amount is bad. Now I feel a bit worse for that can of Mountain Dew I had yesterday though.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    tumsbums wrote: »
    hi! I hope this isn't a silly question, but I was wondering just how bad is sugar?

I eat a mostly balanced diet, but I feel my sugar intake is around 80g each day. I have read on some websites that it should only be around 24g! Added or natural sugars!

Is there any truth to this, or do I not need to worry about it as much as I am?

For example, in an average day the main places I usually get my sugar from are 2-3 portions of fruit, cup of milk, 1 cup of plain yogurt, veggies such as carrots or sweetcorn, a muller corner dessert.
    Sometimes there could be more sugar if dinner has a tomato like sauce etc...

Is it unhealthy to be consuming this much sugar?

Thankyou for your help! :smile:

Don't you know? Sugar is the new Devil.

tumblr_m7tlsj8tqX1qhb7nto1_500.gif
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    The main reason for the recommendations to limit added sugar to levels like 24 g (which doesn't include lactose or sugar in fruit anyway) is because it contains few nutrients and tends to be in foods that are calorie dense. Thus, it is (reasonably) believed to be part of why people tend to eat too many calories and gain weight, and should not replace other parts of a healthy diet, like protein or micronutrients.

But this is a very generic recommendation. If you happen to be someone who actually counts calories and watches your diet more carefully (hmm, why might that be?), then you don't have to worry that you are accidently eating sugar in place of veggies or adequate protein or consuming more calories than you'd like. So, barring a specific health issue, I wouldn't worry about it.

I personally tend to eat "added sugars" in moderation because that's simply how those foods fit into my diet, and I also don't feel as well eating tons of them and skimping on other foods (not that you are doing this) and find that carbs in general work better for me when eaten close in time to protein and fat anyway. But the anti sugar fervor some have has gotten insane.
  • tumsbums
    tumsbums Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone for your replies, managed to freak myself out there over sugar! haha
    Sugar raped my dog
    deepest sympathy for that poor poor dog..where is the justice?