Granola bars: healthy or not?

Options
2»

Replies

• chivalryder
    chivalryder Posts: 4,391 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be missing the "few almonds and dates" comment and focusing on the "binged" and "granola bars" problem.

The reason why the OP binged was because she ate less than a hamster eats in a day. Doesn't matter what she ate, the fact that she ate anything was good. Heck a tub of Mayo would have been better than the scraps she ate.

IMO, granola bars can be very healthy. Many of them have a lot of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit and use natural sweeteners like honey as the glue to hold it together. The breakfast bars the OP mentioned: Not so much. If I were to pick between a Mars bar and a granola bar that primarily consists of almonds and pumpkin seeds, I'd pick the granola bar.
  • Add713
    Add713 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to be missing the "few almonds and dates" comment and focusing on the "binged" and "granola bars" problem.

The reason why the OP binged was because she ate less than a hamster eats in a day. Doesn't matter what she ate, the fact that she ate anything was good. Heck a tub of Mayo would have been better than the scraps she ate.

IMO, granola bars can be very healthy. Many of them have a lot of nuts, seeds, and dried fruit and use natural sweeteners like honey as the glue to hold it together. The breakfast bars the OP mentioned: Not so much. If I were to pick between a Mars bar and a granola bar that primarily consists of almonds and pumpkin seeds, I'd pick the granola bar.

Oh but the Mars bar :)
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

let me guess because sugar...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    I consider them a snack food just like any other candy/chocolate bar. Look at the calories, protein, carbs, and fat. Compare them with what you already have in your diary. If if fits in, go ahead and enjoy it!