Eat larger meals 'til full or smaller ones

Options
Is it better to eat, say, 3 large meals and leave the table full or 6 smaller meals and never be full. Everyone says smaller meals are better but I really miss the feeling of being full. Instead of being hungry an hour or so before lunch and dinner, I now just feel perpetual low level hunger...

Replies

• diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Some people do really well on 6 smaller meals a day, but it makes others feel like gnawing their own arms off! Some people do really well on only one or two meals a day, too. It won't have a significant bearing on your weight loss. If you feel better eating 3 larger meals and are hitting your nutritional goals, then keep at it.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    It makes no difference how you split up your meals. If you'd rather eat 3 larger meals than 6 smaller ones, then do. I prefer smaller meals, myself, because I don't like feeling full; it's uncomfortable for me. If I only ate three meals a day I'd be eating less calories overall because of it.
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    I like to eat until I'm full but not uncomfortably so. If I don't eat until full and register a very clear "full signal", I snack too much and consume more calories over all.
  • ukaryote
    ukaryote Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    Some people swear it is better to have several smaller meals. But that does not matter. Whatever works for you, whatever will keep you on track to your goals is the way to go.
  • schelly81
    schelly81 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I think it's personal preference. I eat 3 meals a day, with one snack after dinner. I tried to do the 6 small meals but it just wasn't for me, I found myself adding little extra snacks every day which were adding up. Currently I eat somewhere around 400 calories for breakfast, 500 for lunch, 400 for dinner, and 400 calories in the evening. Not for everyone, but after a few months of trying different things I realized that I enjoyed to eat in the evening. I also noticed it wasn't harming my weight loss to eat after 9pm.
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    I prefer 3 meals a day. 500-600 calories of protein and fat usually keep me satisfied for a good 4-6 hours.
  • onefortyone
    onefortyone Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    I eat a couple of small meals and a couple of big ones. I need to eat until I'm full at least once a day or that evening, all heck can break loose - I would eat anything not nailed down lol. I don't do well feeling constantly hungry, and there's really no need to live that way. Sometimes we have a light meal at 3-4pm and a big one at 7-8pm.

But it's 100% personal preference.
  • MsHarryWinston
    MsHarryWinston Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    Sometimes I prefer a bunch of smaller 300 cal meals spread a few hours apart and sometimes I'm better with a 300 and two 500s. Sometimes it just depends on the day.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Its all down to what you find is easiest for you and what prevents you from feeling hungry and therefore better able to sustain a calorie deficit
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    It is all personal preference. I do not have the link on hand but there are studies out there that say that it doesnt matter if you have 1 or 10 meals a day... The number of calories consumed vs number of cals burned is all that matters.
  • Chief_Rocka
    Chief_Rocka Posts: 4,710 Member
    Options
    I eat on a different schedule every day to confuse the metabolism
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I do better with more small amounts of food than a couple big ones, but I do different things.

Just do what works for you and don't worry about what others are doing, :)
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Meal timing or frequency doesn't matter, as long as you stay within your allotment. Do which ever one that helps you reach your fitness goal.
  • RicaFit
    RicaFit Posts: 38 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I would hate to always feel hungry. I eat a few small meals through the day. I have about 6 or so very low calorie meals, and I always feel full. I am so glad everyone agrees this is pretty much what your body likes the best. WEB MD says small meals boast metabolism.

Well, here is a myth buster:

Myth No. 2: Eating Small, Frequent Meals Boosts Your Metabolism
    The theory: If you keep adding small amounts of food to your fire (the fire being your metabolism), you will keep it going strong and burn more calories overall.

The reality: Food intake has a negligible effect on metabolism. Some foods, including those with caffeine, may slightly and temporarily increase metabolism, but the effect is too small to help you lose weight. What most affects your basal metabolic rate (BMR), the rate at which your body burns calories at rest, is body composition and size. More muscles and bigger bodies generally burn more calories overall.

The best advice: Build up your muscles. A pound of fat-free tissue burns about 14 calories a day, while a pound of fat burns just two to three calories. And while that difference may not sound like a lot, it will certainly help over time. Remember, too, that when you lose pounds, part of that weight is muscle, warns Liz Neporent, an exercise physiologist and the president of Wellness 360, a New York City-based corporate-wellness-consulting company. That's why strength training is even more important if you're on a weight-loss mission. Try lifting weights, or you can maintain your muscles by going to a Pilates, body-sculpting, or power-yoga class two to three times a week.

http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/weight-loss/busting-10-diet-myths/myth-no-2-eating-small-frequent-meals-boosts-metabolism
  • yc4king
    yc4king Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    One of the best side effects of eating so much less was that now it takes far less food for me to feel full, so I can still get that full feeling but it takes a reasonable amount of food to get there.
  • SkepticalOwl
    SkepticalOwl Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    RicaFit wrote: »
    I would hate to always feel hungry. I eat a few small meals through the day. I have about 6 or so very low calorie meals, and I always feel full. I am so glad everyone agrees this is pretty much what your body likes the best.

My body prefers to have an eating window that starts around 11am-1pm and ends around 9pm. I eat several small meals during that window. If I eat breakfast, thought, I'm miserable and hungry all day.

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    from a metabolism stand point meal timing does not matter …do what works for you ..i eat four times a day ….
  • crowleynm
    Options
    Just snack and eat (healthy choices) when your feeling hungry and be mindful of your caloric intake. It's been mentioned above, calories in - calories out; extra energy will be stored as fat.
  • LeonCX
    LeonCX Posts: 862 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I eat 3.01577 times a day and am doing great. :p