SQUATS

2»

Replies

• dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    Don't need a spotter for most work squattin.

My tuesday squat workout had me hit 100 reps on squat over 3 sets. Fear it.
    212019156 Posts: 341 Member
    Actually Stronglifts or Starting Strength (or other variations of these) are actually pretty awesome for most sports. I would use these as the basis for a training program and add in sport specific accessory work. There are exceptions but for most sports this formula works really well.
    Hadabetter wrote: »
    A lot of people don't go to the gym in order to be weight lifters, they are using weight training in order to improve performance in other sports. The best strategy for these folks is to devote most of their time training in their sport of choice, and then hit the gym to do isolation weight training in support of that sport.

Strong lifts 5 by 5 is a great program for weight lifters, but it wouldn't be my first choice for someone who is trying to be a better runner, swimmer, basketball player, discus thrower, etc, etc.

• Showcase_Brodown
    Showcase_Brodown Posts: 919 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

And did you have to sit in an icebath the entire next day? Holy DOMS, Batman!

But back to the original question, I think squats are intimidating to a lot of people. It's a very technical movement in which you're moving a lot of weight. It's challenging and tiring. It's frightening if you've never done them, especially if you are self-conscious and worried about people watching you.

Honestly, on my squat days, I don't usually approach it saying, "Yay, Squats!" It's usually like "F---, time to squat. Here goes."

But it's those 10% of people you mention that know the value of the squat and do them because it's a great exercise with lot of benefits.

• BaldheadSlick
    BaldheadSlick Posts: 51 Member
    Lack of an empty squat rack is the main reason I "opened" my home gym again. Less variety, but invaluable for 5x5 type training. Sadly, weather's getting cold so back to the "bad place" again soon.
  • srmchan
    srmchan Posts: 206 Member
    Honestly, on my squat days, I don't usually approach it saying, "Yay, Squats!" It's usually like "F---, time to squat. Here goes."

But it's those 10% of people you mention that know the value of the squat and do them because it's a great exercise with lot of benefits.

Yes and yes! I'm always happy to have them behind me.

Sam

• Sam_I_Am77
    Sam_I_Am77 Posts: 2,093 Member
    Many people don't have a clue, don't pay attention. Squats are awesome, embrace the discomfort, embrace the challenge.
  • jorge_ta83
    jorge_ta83 Posts: 49 Member
    I am also doing 5x5 based on SS program. My gym is hit and miss, sometimes they are empty some times they aren't. For my own selfish reasons I would love no one used them lol.

But most of the time I have the chance to use them. I only hate when you have this guy doing his shoulder shrugs or bicep curls on the squat rack.

Which reminds me a picture I saw today, I actually LOLed

tumblr_m7eyhbMN2D1qf1avqo1_500.jpg
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,951 Member
    dbmata wrote: »

And did you have to sit in an icebath the entire next day? Holy DOMS, Batman!

But back to the original question, I think squats are intimidating to a lot of people. It's a very technical movement in which you're moving a lot of weight. It's challenging and tiring.

Heh, naw, surprisingly, no soreness past Thursday. I remember the day I tested and found my new 1RM, I had done 180 reps already by then over probably 20 sets... then decided to test 1rm, hit 187 reps that day, but 315# up without my knee fighting. (That 1RM lasted a week before I hit 385 for 5.)

I was sore for three days after that. lol

I think you nailed it though, a lot of people fear that much work. It's hard. I often feel happier coming out of the squat session than going in. I know my squat/dl sessions are going to hurt, a lot. However, they're going to make me strong.

So you take your medicine.