ever had a cheat day? how much calories did you eat?

Options
r1ker
r1ker Posts: 5 Member
edited October 2014 in Health and Weight Loss
hey guys,

after a year of dedication, diet and hard workouts I had my first real cheat day today. to this point I ate 4000kcal (mostly chocolate) and I'm planning to even go up to 5000kcal. maybe I'm doing another cheat day tomorrow, just for the lulz. so, if I keep my daily income at 2000kcal for the rest of the week, how much weight would I gain? 3500kcal = 0,5 pounds, right? :)

am I the only sinner on this board today? tell me! =)

Replies

• myrtille87
    myrtille87 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I regularly have cheat days but don't go that high.
    I just have some treats that take me above my calorie goals but not way over maintenance.
    For example, yesterday was Friday and I had a few treats - a small piece of cake in the staffroom, a peanut butter creme doughnut after work, a glass of wine in the evening. But I'd had a light lunch and a pretty healthy dinner so it only took me just over my calorie goal.

Last weekend I went out drinking on Friday night and have no idea how many calories I consumed but estimated 1,500 because I had a lot of cocktails. The rest of the day I ate normally, so I estimate my calories for the day at about 2,900 (my maintenance calories are just over 2,000 so this was a serious cheat day!).

The following day I went to a wedding and estimate I went over my calorie goal by 460 calories but not significantly over maintenance.

I wouldn't do 2 cheat days in a row "just for the lulz". It's a different matter if social events mean that's going to happen (I'll probably have about 5 cheat days in a row over Christmas!) but I wouldn't just randomly do it as it will probably cause you to gain weight (especially with how high your calories are going).

One cheat day every few days won't cause you to gain weight (it might just slow your loss, but hey, it's worth it to stay sane and eat nice things). But the rate you're talking about probably will. 3,500 calories over maintenance = 1 lb fat gained (approximately).
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    The word "cheat", to me implies I've done something wrong. I make room for treats everyday, with most days them fitting into my allotment.
  • thinkpositive92
    thinkpositive92 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Lol yeah I try to have a few treats everyday within my goals, but I have been having a few too many cheat days this week! >:) Highest was 2482cals the other day meh
  • Makterbro
    Makterbro Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    A couple weeks ago I went to Fudruckers, had a huge burger and fries and soda, then at ice cream and cookies. And that's not even all of it.
    I had about 3,800cals under my belt that day.
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    My cheating would be WHAT I ate not how much.
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    No I have gone over calorie goal and maintenance but very rarely and when I have I have made it up over the days following. Id struggle to eat 2000 calories so how you manage 4000-5000 is beyond me.

I have no problem with people going over but an actual "cheat day" to me seems unhealthy especially as you have done so well for a whole year why would you want to sabotage your hard work and efforts?
  • galprincess
    galprincess Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Lifting4Liz is absolutely right I too eat chocolate most days and crisps but I make it fit
  • 2liftmore
    Options
    I have no need to cheat. I cycle my calories from 1300 to 5000. Gym days higher calories, rest days lower. Once in a month I eat up to that 5k, normally 2200-3500.
  • blossomingbutterfly
    blossomingbutterfly Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If I know I'll be going somewhere where I cannot accurately measure my portions or how much I'll eat, I over estimate, hoping I'm accurate enough. I call that a "cheat day" because normally it's high calorie at certain restaurants.

Aside from, if I want a treat, I work it into my daily allotted calories if I can. Going over 100 or 200 calories is okay if I must and I don't mind. But I'd try to stay under other days if possible or make up for it with exercise.

To each other own. Depends on what you're comfortable with.
  • liekewheeless
    liekewheeless Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    I've had my "cheat" days. I do get into trouble when I extend it to 2 days. I have been able to limit it to 2 days before, but more often then not a 2 day cheat fest turns into a week long binge.

Just got over one that limped on for most of the month :\ .

I do eat treats on a regular basis but make them fit. Ones I start eating mindlessly (cheat) I get into trouble. I don't count calories on true cheat days.
  • ana3067
    ana3067 Posts: 5,623 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    I never cheat because cheat is not a word I apply to eating. I eat food within my calories and to hit my macros (or at least protein and fat minimums), and I'll reach this goal with whatever food I feel like eating.

Because I do not look at food as being good/bad or "diet-safe" I do not have this problem.

Now, having a high-calorie day, that is different. This is done either unstructured by eating at or above maintenance in order to have a mental and physical break (can extend to a week if you'd like, or longer), and it is still not cheating. You eat exactly as you do while at a deficit, which is exactly as you'll eat when maintaining, the only difference being you change how much food you eat. Or you can structure it as a refeed, eating your protein target and then just eating carbs until you reach above maintenance.

In either case, this is not cheating, and cheating is not a word that should be part of one's vocabulary when it comes to eating.
  • DavePFJ
    DavePFJ Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Once I ate 15000 calories because I work out so hard.
  • Screwedntattooed
    Screwedntattooed Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I hate the words "cheat day" I always eat whatever I want within my calorie goal. If you do that you really don't need a "cheat day" as there is no deprivation going on.
  • GoingSlightlyMad
    GoingSlightlyMad Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I find that cheat days, for me, lead to binges, so I try to avoid them. Just have whatever you want in moderation and trying to stay close to your macros everyday, and you won't need to cheat.
  • EmmaFitzwilliam
    EmmaFitzwilliam Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I declared yesterday a cheat day - huge project at the office; boss provided a deli sandwich tray; co-workers took me for granted.

So when I got home, I had a (bar style) White Russian.

Then I had eggs and crackers for dessert, because I actually like poached eggs and crackers and it was an easy dinner.

End result? 158 calories below the guideline (adjusted for exercise).

I would <headdesk> but it's actually kind of reassuring that I can do that.

Now that I know how many calories are in what size portions of things, I don't actually go off plan very often.

I had four days where it wasn't practical to record what I ate, and I ate a small serving of cake a couple of those nights, so I don't know my calorie count for those days, but the 1.5 pound weight gain over the weekend was more water weight than calories.

I think 500 calories is the most I have gone beyond the recommended calorie limit since I started tracking. More likely, I've gone over by 250 or fewer calories.

I know what choices are best for me; I know what choices are really bad for me. And some of my indulgences carry a "penalty" of 300 calories or fewer.

Heck, the night I had filet mignon at Ruth's Chris, and a drink, and dessert, I went over by only 347 calories.

• NikonPal
    NikonPal Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    The word "cheat", to me implies I've done something wrong. I make room for treats everyday, with most days them fitting into my allotment.

I completely agree. I don’t cheat. I plan “treats” into most days (Fiber brownie, popcorn, frozen yogurt – it varies). Once a week I allow/plan for myself a fried haddock (4 oz.)on a New England roll. I do still avoid a couple “trigger” foods. It is all worked into my daily targets.

73641431.png
  • joshpass
    joshpass Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I do "cheat" days. i try to stay as clean as possible most of the time but probably once a month or so, there is some type of holiday or event that I let myself go all out. i can no problem knock out 25,000 to 50,000 calories in one day. I don't do little "treats" all the time because once I eat a treat, I usually very difficult for me to stop so I have to keep myself under control usually by not having treats unless it's that special occasion.
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I dont cheat, but I do have the occasional high calorie day. Im in maintenance, and the occasion gut buster day keeps my weight steady.
  • r1ker
    r1ker Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    ana3067 wrote: »
    I never cheat because cheat is not a word I apply to eating. I eat food within my calories and to hit my macros (or at least protein and fat minimums), and I'll reach this goal with whatever food I feel like eating.

Because I do not look at food as being good/bad or "diet-safe" I do not have this problem.

Now, having a high-calorie day, that is different. This is done either unstructured by eating at or above maintenance in order to have a mental and physical break (can extend to a week if you'd like, or longer), and it is still not cheating. You eat exactly as you do while at a deficit, which is exactly as you'll eat when maintaining, the only difference being you change how much food you eat. Or you can structure it as a refeed, eating your protein target and then just eating carbs until you reach above maintenance.

In either case, this is not cheating, and cheating is not a word that should be part of one's vocabulary when it comes to eating.

you're absolutely right ofc, shouldn't have used it. :)