What are your must have rescue foods that help you keep your calories in control?

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    @tanek747 , a little about baked apples please? How do you make them?

My staples are chicken breast and frozen mixed veg, I slice up apples to take with me to the gym sometimes I eat them in the gym if I feel like I need something, other times I eat them on the way back which helps me avoid piling on the calories in mcdonalds even though I stop there every time for coffee

Sugar free jello powder which dang it I forgot I buy more packs during my recent grocery trip. Single serve recipes for mug coffee cake, brownie etc.

But honestly I also mix in the calorie bombs here and there otherwise I'd be a twig what with how much I do exercise...
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, hummus, nuts
  • tanek747
    tanek747 Posts: 37 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    @janeir36 for baked apples depends on cals available that day
    simplest we wash them use an apple core tool to cut out the column of pips stem etc always leave skins on and bake at 200c in a tray
    but it's nice to plug the lower hole with dates keeping all the juices inside the Apples
    or fill hole entirely with date almond raison mix
    or can blend oats dates and peanut butter to fill hole and it bakes in the Apple juices to a cookie dough through center
    all depends on cals available, the Apples themselves are quite low compared to fillings and can make a good meal.

Plain or filled we like baked apples with plain soy yogurt and sprinkled vanilla powder and or cinnamon, less cals than flavoured yogurts or custards. Can add flavoured stevias too e.g. toffee.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    tanek747 wrote: »
    simplest we use an apple core tool on them and bake at 200c in a tray
    but it's nice to plug the lower hole with dates keeping the juice inside the Apples
    or can blend oats dates and peanut butter to fill hole and it bakes to a cookie dough through center.

Plain or filled baked apples are great with plain soy yogurt and sprinkled vanilla powder and or cinnamon, less cals than flavoured yogurts or custards.

That sounds great! How long do you bake at 200C/~400F?
  • kateepena
    Options
    A lot of fruit.

usually I cut up a bunch of strawberries, peaches and maybe an apple and put it in a bowl with maybe some blueberries.

then I look at it and think IT'S NATURE'S CANDY in Chris traegers voice

• ohmephisto
    ohmephisto Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Healthy canned soup is great when I'm starving and fast food is looking a bit too tempting. Also eggs, tuna and carrots. I wish I could find decent freeze dried fruit over here.
  • tanek747
    Options
    tanek747 wrote: »
    simplest we wash them use an apple core tool to cut out the column of pips stem etc always leave skins on and bake at 200c in a tray
    but it's nice to plug the lower hole with dates keeping all the juices inside the Apples
    or can blend oats dates and peanut butter to fill hole and it bakes in the Apple juices to a cookie dough through center
    all depends on cals available, the Apples themselves are quite low compared to fillings and can make a good meal.

Plain or filled we like baked apples with plain soy yogurt and sprinkled vanilla powder and or cinnamon, less cals than flavoured yogurts or custards. Can add flavoured stevias too e.g. toffee.

@janeir36 Preheat 200c can take quite different times depending on Apple variety and size and number. Often between 15 to 30 mins. We just check until they look right. Is ok for skins to brown up, you want the Apples to collapse a little it means the insides are becoming hot yummy thick Apple sauce. :)
  • chopsart
    chopsart Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    deli turkey slices
    80 calorie yogurt / grapes
    string cheese
    bananas
    baked tofu
  • eaviram
    eaviram Posts: 25
    Options
    I love lentil chips with hummus for the salty cravings.
  • nicoleagafitness
    nicoleagafitness Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Eggs, salad, cucumber salad, if I'm wanting a trashy snack, I eat Pringles, usually jalapeño or chile con queso.
  • CdnRower
    CdnRower Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A staple of my breakfast is scrambled eggs made with 1 cup of egg whites and 3 whole eggs. 56g of protein. A side of veggies (200-300g) and it's extremely filling and comes in at only 400 calories for the entire meal. You definitely won't feel the need to snack before the next meal.
  • independant2406
    independant2406 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Eggs and Egg whites are a life saver. Chicken in any form. I also love the laughing cow cheese wedges.
  • muggzie399
    muggzie399 Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    cherirana wrote: »
    Laughing cow cheese wedges, (only 35 calories), broccoli, I Can't Believe It's Not Butter spray,(0 calories), boiled eggs, salmon patties

How do you prepare your salmon patties?

• terar21
    terar21 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Spinach. I Sautee in just a tiny bit of olive oil and put several handfuls in. I could eat a whole bag really.

Almonds as snacks.

In the morning, if I start the day off with an english muffin, it helps me throughout the morning.

Fruit is what helps me curb sweets. I use frozen blueberries as dessert :smile:
  • CindyMarcuzAdams
    CindyMarcuzAdams Posts: 4,006 Member
    Options
    Saltines and peanut butter can replace a cookie craving.
  • BadWolf_Rose
    BadWolf_Rose Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    zenner22 wrote: »
    I've heard a lot about Quest bars, but haven't been able to find them at the store. Are they only available online? And do they have artificial sweeteners?

I LOVE Quest Bars. I buy mine at the Vitamin Shoppe or at GNC. Sometimes they go on sale at HEB too, which is a Texas based grocery chain. I like going to Vitamin Shoppe because you can build your own variety box of twelve for $25, which is a steal, considering that these little bars can keep me full for HOURS.
    This is the list from the Quest site of the ones that are strictly Stevia sweetened. The rest have a little sucralose in them.

http://www.questnutrition.com/protein-bars/sample-pack-sweetened-with-stevia-and-erythritol-box-of-12/
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member
    Options
    bump cos I'm looking for more protein, less pop corn at night
  • Missjulesdid
    Missjulesdid Posts: 1,444 Member
    Options
    Salsa and coffee.. not at the same time.
  • tanek747
    Options
    Tea. Seriously.

Green tea
    fruit teas
    white tea
    red bush rooiboos teas
    white tea

You don't need sweeteners or sugar or milks when you develope a taste for them. Helps curb hunger, snacking feelings, wanting something while watching a program etc. Tons of good planty antioxidants and phytochemicals too.
  • TheSatinPumpkin
    TheSatinPumpkin Posts: 948 Member
    edited October 2014
    Options
    coffee w/ HWC and Davinci SF Syrup. However October i cut out the dairy and Syrup.
    Miracle Shirataki Noodles.