Fruit tip - wish I'd realized this sooner!!

Options

Replies

• KKishaA
    KKishaA Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I had no idea people weighed their eggs. I usually use egg whites, which I weigh if they are from a carton. I would have to say I agree with Shannon. Weigh as much as you must to be successful. For me that definitely means weighing peanut butter, nuts and cereal.
  • likewhoa712
    likewhoa712 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So, maybe a stupid question but do you weigh your fruit after you peel/core them or before?
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost nothing and lose fine. Anyone can learn from their scale and then use what they learned to be a decent estimator. Visual cues based on everyday items helps (deck of cards, fingertip, thumb, tennis ball, etc.)

I honestly suspect that there is more measurement error amongst calorie counters from entirely forgetting to log some foods than from under-estimating their portion sizes. Though I guess if you weigh every.single.ingredient of every single food item you prepare and eat, that necessitates good notes which solves both problems.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I weigh almost nothing and lose fine. Anyone can learn from their scale and then use what they learned to be a decent estimator. Visual cues based on everyday items helps (deck of cards, fingertip, thumb, tennis ball, etc.)

I honestly suspect that there is more measurement error amongst calorie counters from entirely forgetting to log some foods than from under-estimating their portion sizes. Though I guess if you weigh every.single.ingredient of every single food item you prepare and eat, that necessitates good notes which solves both problems.

Yes you can learn to estimate...if you use a scale at first...

and yes I agree "forgetting to log" is as big of a problem as portion size...not bigger but probably equal.

• lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Add713 wrote: »
    katya_be wrote: »
    I weigh my eggs too. Usually they weigh more than what the nutritional label states! My eggs are usually 85 calories instead of 70.

I bet if you average out the carton (or several cartons) of eggs it would be close to the nutrition label.

Yeah but I don't eat all the eggs in the carton. There's 4 of us.

Yogurts I agree, there is always less, but I don't bother weighing them unless it's a big container.

You don't even need to average the carton. Just weigh a few eggs, and if you usually buy the same brand and size, you will find most are only 1-3 grams off to either side. 90% of the eggs I have are around 47g with a few at 45-49g. Yolk are almost always 18g, rarely 17 or 19.

Maybe because I buy mine from a farm, but they vary way more than that. Sometimes I might do three if I have really small ones, and two larger ones could easily be 120 g as opposed to the more typical 100. I'm sure it would average out well enough and I can now estimate from the size of the egg, but since I usually have omelets I weigh them.

My fruit is more often than not bigger than the estimates I've seen in the database, although it depends on the fruit. At this point I can estimate pretty well for the fruits I eat a lot.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Weighing for the win.

I think the random measurements on this site are the most amateurish part. I get really frustrated when I look for a fruit or vegetable and have to search through numerous options to find one with a standardized unit (1 oz, 1 gram, anything!). The first entry for grape tomatoes has only one option: 1 cup. How not-at-all useful for grape tomatoes. Same for the listings with small/medium/large and no weights included to back it up.

Go for the no asterisk ones, which are usually more reliable anyway.

Peaches raw (for example) is the trick, use the plural and raw.

• lemurcat12
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    bellaa_x0 wrote: »
    jkwolly wrote: »
    Weigh everything that you eat.

Every. Single. Thing.

+1

x2....wow folks weigh solids measure liquids it's the only way to be sure. And yes I weigh my eggs, why not I am typically adding in egg whites so those need weighed too...

I guess it depends how sure you need to be.

I think if you are losing weight/ maintaining weight/ gaining weight ( whichever you are trying to do) at a steady and successful rate then the level of weighing you are doing is good enough.

I freely admit I do not weigh eggs or fruit or vegetables - every banana is just a small banana ( I buy small ones so they fit in my lunchbox) but my weight is doing what I want it to, so all is good.

However if one is not losing/maintaining/ gaining as one expects then tightening up measurements is a good step.

I agree with this. Every time I've tried to lose weight I've never weighed a thing. I've used cup measurements and always lost. Even when I worked for a weight loss company I didn't weigh!
    I think if you aren't seeing results then for sure weigh!
    I've started to weigh as of this week. Am I seeing results without it? You bet! But... I just want to try it *shrug*. I want to be even more accurate with calorie dense foods. It's not a requirement for me because I can do well without it. But I do agree that it gives a person their BEST chance. I want the extra confidence that comes from super accuracy.

Yeah, I agree with this.

I don't think weighing is necessary, but I find it takes less time than trying to measure or thinking about whether some item is small or medium. Sometime I estimate cups for greens (always if they are mixed), but even with spinach it takes no extra time to pop it on the scale before adding it to an omelet, etc, so I usually do. It would be more work to start thinking about which items should be weighed.
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    always be weighing.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Add713 wrote: »
    katya_be wrote: »
    I weigh my eggs too. Usually they weigh more than what the nutritional label states! My eggs are usually 85 calories instead of 70.

I bet if you average out the carton (or several cartons) of eggs it would be close to the nutrition label.

Yeah but I don't eat all the eggs in the carton. There's 4 of us.

Yogurts I agree, there is always less, but I don't bother weighing them unless it's a big container.

You don't even need to average the carton. Just weigh a few eggs, and if you usually buy the same brand and size, you will find most are only 1-3 grams off to either side. 90% of the eggs I have are around 47g with a few at 45-49g. Yolk are almost always 18g, rarely 17 or 19.

Maybe because I buy mine from a farm, but they vary way more than that. Sometimes I might do three if I have really small ones, and two larger ones could easily be 120 g as opposed to the more typical 100. I'm sure it would average out well enough and I can now estimate from the size of the egg, but since I usually have omelets I weigh them.

My fruit is more often than not bigger than the estimates I've seen in the database, although it depends on the fruit. At this point I can estimate pretty well for the fruits I eat a lot.
    It won't work if you buy from a farm but aren't the grades and sizes of eggs on store-bought ones based on their weights?

I just log all my eggs as 'large', though I noticed recently that my cage-free carton has 'large' eggs which are much smaller than my 'jumbo' eggs carton I bought in a rush, and they're almost 20 calories different in the database, which was more than I would've guessed.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I guess egg 'grade' is related to appearance, not weight. This is pretty interesting-

http://www.incredibleegg.org/egg-facts/eggcyclopedia/b/buying
  • mbailey423
    mbailey423 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's funny people think it's stressful to weigh your food...I mean really...

It turns out that not everyone thinks, behaves, or reacts just like you.

It also turns out that all nutrition information - from labels on packages to USDA data - is merely an estimate. So while you may think you are 100% accurately logging because you use a scale for everything, it's still not precise unless you are laboratory-testing all your food. Weighing and measuring the ingredients in a recipe, then weighing the results, still doesn't ensure that each portion has the exact same number of calories. Last night I made a chicken and rajma masala. I weighed the ingredients but eyeballed the portions. Even if I had weighed the portions, and they all weighed the same in grams, some portions had more chicken, or more kidney beans, or more sauce. As a result, each portion has a different caloric makeup.

My point in all of this is not to say it's crazy to weigh everything. It is not, as long as you are happy to weigh everything. (Note though, that not everyone thinks like you and that's okay too).

My point is that even as precise as you try to be, everything is still an estimate. I see waaaaay too many people join up here, but then quickly become overwhelmed with weighing and TDEE and heart rate monitors and macros and give up. Which is sad, because it doesn't have to be that complicated.

That's why I stress that one shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good. If, at some point, one's weight loss is not as predicted, weighing food and logging more precisely is certainly a good plan.

In the words of Dr Yoni Freedhoff, I endeavor to live the healthiest life I can *enjoy*. That means I weigh a lot of stuff, but I eyeball quite a bit too. This is my medium. My body's weight and composition tell me everything I need to know. This method certainly worked for me; I'm down 130+ pounds and I've been maintaining for 2 years....happily, easily, healthfully.

Wow. Excellent post
  • alowndes
    Options
    MouseFood wrote: »
    PS weigh your eggs too! :)

Do you have to weigh your food or is measuring it with cups tbsp ect the same thing ?
  • dbmata
    dbmata Posts: 12,950 Member
    Options
    Not the same thing.
  • lemurcat12
    Options
    Also hard to do with fruit or eggs. Weighing is generally less work, IMO.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I personally think it's funny people think it's stressful to weigh your food...I mean really...

It turns out that not everyone thinks, behaves, or reacts just like you.

It also turns out that all nutrition information - from labels on packages to USDA data - is merely an estimate. So while you may think you are 100% accurately logging because you use a scale for everything, it's still not precise unless you are laboratory-testing all your food. Weighing and measuring the ingredients in a recipe, then weighing the results, still doesn't ensure that each portion has the exact same number of calories. Last night I made a chicken and rajma masala. I weighed the ingredients but eyeballed the portions. Even if I had weighed the portions, and they all weighed the same in grams, some portions had more chicken, or more kidney beans, or more sauce. As a result, each portion has a different caloric makeup.

My point in all of this is not to say it's crazy to weigh everything. It is not, as long as you are happy to weigh everything. (Note though, that not everyone thinks like you and that's okay too).

My point is that even as precise as you try to be, everything is still an estimate. I see waaaaay too many people join up here, but then quickly become overwhelmed with weighing and TDEE and heart rate monitors and macros and give up. Which is sad, because it doesn't have to be that complicated.

That's why I stress that one shouldn't let perfect be the enemy of good. If, at some point, one's weight loss is not as predicted, weighing food and logging more precisely is certainly a good plan.

In the words of Dr Yoni Freedhoff, I endeavor to live the healthiest life I can *enjoy*. That means I weigh a lot of stuff, but I eyeball quite a bit too. This is my medium. My body's weight and composition tell me everything I need to know. This method certainly worked for me; I'm down 130+ pounds and I've been maintaining for 2 years....happily, easily, healthfully.

Wonderful post.
  • daynerz
    daynerz Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    Yes. And the best way to go about without a food scale is too always over-estimate the calories in all foods.
    Safer. since losing weight is usually the goal for most.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    daynerz wrote: »
    Yes. And the best way to go about without a food scale is too always over-estimate the calories in all foods.
    Safer. since losing weight is usually the goal for most.

Yes that works too. Personally I'd rather know if I can eat more instead of wondering if I overestimated my lunch because I'm hungry....

For recipes, well, I don't make that many of those anyway.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    *Shrug*

Anyone that has a large enough deficit, is making an honest effort to estimate everything accurately (not over or under), and is pretty good at estimating volumes can go the no weighing route without a problem.

Anyone that doesn't match those criteria ought to be weighing.

If you're someone that is having hunger issues or is trying to bulk, you definitely ought to be weighing. Make sure you're eating everything that is available to you and not leaving anything on the table. Weighing helps correct chronic under-estimations as well as chronic over-estimations.
  • WalkingAlong
    Options
    I poured some granola in a bowl this morning and thought, "Maybe I'll weigh it, for once. I'd like to call it 1/2 cup since I know it's calorie-laden but it's probably closer to a cup. What is the serving size on the box? 3/4 cup-- 55g." I weighed out what I'd poured... 55g. Weird. I probably would've logged it as 3/4 cup and been dead on, or as 1c. and overestimated. I guess that's why estimating works for me.

Really the old visualization tricks work pretty well. I wish I had a good link of them. WW has some good ones. Here's some from Food Network.

http://www.foodnetwork.com/healthy/photos/tips-for-portion-control.html
  • veganbettie
    veganbettie Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    if I don't weigh, I don't lose.