Couch to 5K Week 4.....who knew

Options

Replies

• Shawnalee0703
    Shawnalee0703 Posts: 1,093
    Options
    So I have a story that I must share for all those beginning runners.

I have never ever been a runner. I did not really believe I could do it. Well on my March 18, I tried to run and it was a complete disaster. I thought I was going to vomit when I ran one minute.

Well my wonderful MFP family turned me onto Couch to 5K. I downloaded the ap and tried again. I was determined not to have this thing beat me.

I am on week 4 and I have worked up to running 5 minutes. That was the longest yet. I thought I would cry.

Well I was curious what would happened without it, so today I was on an off day and I wanted to see if how long I could run without it.

So I got on the treadmill, walked 5 and then started running.

I did 7 minutes running, another 5 minutes walking. Then I turned off the time where I could not see it. I ran 10 minutes. I wanted to cry. So it is really working.

I felt I must share, because this application really works. So for all you beginners get the ap for your phone.
    great! Effort does amazing things! keep it up! You should definitely be proud! Congrats!
  • BobbyDaniel
    BobbyDaniel Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    Great break through! It was week 5 before I started thinking "I can do this!"
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    What does the app do that reading the plan online doesn't? Considering you have to pay for it ($10 I think) I'd like to know how it's different or how it works with the information online. From what I read the plans are available online for free.

The app i use was only like $2 with a $1 in-app option to enable GPS. I use an app so I don't have to think, I just do what the lady in my phone tells me to do. It mutes my music when it gives prompts. The GPS option allows for accurate split times as well as pacing info and ties into Google maps. I also like the auto-publish to Facebook and Twitter options.

And, if all you're interested in is the "jog now" / "walk now" prompts, then take a look for one of the (many) podcasts that are available out there -- they provide the "audio", and they're free!
  • outersoul
    outersoul Posts: 711
    Options
    Great break through! It was week 5 before I started thinking "I can do this!"

Same for me. After W5 I knew I could run, albeit slow, but damnit I can run! I'm finishing up W9 now and have my first 5K on Sunday! It works!
  • Mommyof3texans
    Options
    I start week 2 tonight and I'm still scared to go from the 60 seconds to the 90 seconds! I can't even imagine running for a few minutes at a time! On a positive note, I do look forward to my training sessions :)

I also have the C25K app for android and it alerts me when to run and when to walk...it is so much easier to do this if you're not watching a clock.
  • Davali
    Davali Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting week 2 this week after almost 3 weeks of doing (and re-doing) week 1. Never thought I'd come close to completing even a full day of week 1 and so am excited to be tackling the next stage now.

In the UK we can download the programme podcasts for free (NHS) and it seems to do the job fine.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    So....at what speeds do you think you all run?

I'm doing about 10 minute miles right now.
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I do run slow, but my friend who ran in a marathon told me that it is about training your body not to stop when your body freaks out.

I was doing about 4.2 on the treadmill. But I do not feel sick and I know the fast will come.

It love the stress release. It seems to clear my head for the rest of the day.
  • Monica_in_MO
    Monica_in_MO Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    So very happy for you! I experienced the exact same thing and I am wrapping up wk 9 now. Just wait until wk 5 when you do a 20 minute run. I never, ever would have thought that I could do that 4 months ago. I must have looked like an idiot in the gym with tears rolling down my face when I made it not only to 20 minutes, but 24!! More power to ya, girl!!
  • ColoradoRobin
    ColoradoRobin Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    I'm so happy it's working for you! Great job of sticking with the program!

C25k was going to be my plan. I had a goal to run in a charity 5k with lots of time to repeat weeks in C25K if I had to. I did the first three walk/jog interval days, although I was developing some soreness in my knees. Then came week 2, day 1. As soon as I tried to move from a walk to a jog I felt some sharp knee pain. I walked the first interval because of that. Figuring I just needed more warmup, I managed to jog all 90 seconds of each of the remaining intervals (5 of them?). The next day my knees were *very* sore on the medial side of my kneecap (the inside edge where your knees come together). My doctor x-rayed my knees, showing mild arthritis and some degenerative changes, and told me to avoid any high impact exercise. So much for that plan. =(

So I'm looking into biking now, and will try some stationary work first to see how my knees tolerate it. If I can do that, I can still work on getting in shape for a charity race. I'm jealous of all of you who can do C25k. I really had psyched myself up about it and was researching which new running shoes to get. As for C25K, I liked the Podrunner Intervals "First day to 5K" series. It is a podcast with the tempo incorporated. Good luck to all you C25Kers!!!! You can do it!
  • t_rog
    t_rog Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    What does the app do that reading the plan online doesn't? Considering you have to pay for it ($10 I think) I'd like to know how it's different or how it works with the information online. From what I read the plans are available online for free.

The app i use was only like $2 with a $1 in-app option to enable GPS. I use an app so I don't have to think, I just do what the lady in my phone tells me to do. It mutes my music when it gives prompts. The GPS option allows for accurate split times as well as pacing info and ties into Google maps. I also like the auto-publish to Facebook and Twitter options.

And, if all you're interested in is the "jog now" / "walk now" prompts, then take a look for one of the (many) podcasts that are available out there -- they provide the "audio", and they're free!

What podcasts? How do I find them?

Also.....at what speed are you supposed to run? Does it matter? I'm thinking of starting C25K next week..
  • akaMrsmojo
    akaMrsmojo Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I am not sure, maybe itunes. I have the ap on my iPhone and iPod touch. There are a few out there. I know the podcasts are free and work just as well. You might want to google Couch to 5k and podcast.
  • allimax2002
    allimax2002 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Thats sooo awesome!! And inspiring! I tried day 1 yesterday. I couldn't even finish all the running parts and I felt like was dying while I did what I could. I'm gonna keep at it though! I'd say one of my fitness goals would be to run a 5k. Like seriously, run the whole thing. (Its a GOAL...oneday....)
  • iamhealingmyself
    iamhealingmyself Posts: 579 Member
    Options

$10? Mine was $3.

My app gives me audio alerts on when the warmup is done, when to run / walk, and then the cooldown and finish. For a whole $1 more, it tracks my cadence / pace, and gives me a map of where I ran afterwards, along with my time average speed per mile. All while I walk/jog/run to my own music.

I never would have known that yesterday, during W1D1, I covered 2.5 miles in 30 minutes. I LOVE that app.
    i must have been looking at something else maybe it was a c25k membership or something? thanks ill keep looking for it.
  • BrentGetsFit
    BrentGetsFit Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    Also.....at what speed are you supposed to run? Does it matter? I'm thinking of starting C25K next week..

You run at whatever speed works for you. The ultimate goal is just to get you running for 30 minutes straight. Speed will come in time.
  • MoLivesLuvsLifts
    MoLivesLuvsLifts Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    It is a wonderful app! This Sunday, I'm going to do a 1 mile fun walk/run. My goal is to run the entire mile. This isn't a big feat to many; but, to me, it's everything!
  • LarryPGH
    LarryPGH Posts: 349 Member
    Options

What podcasts? How do I find them?

Search on "C25K" in iTunes. I use the ones from NHS (they're also on the web at http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/couch-to-5k.aspx), but I know that there are other ones out there. Podrunner also has a couple of series available. The (free!) apps allow you to pick your own music -- they just supply the prompts -- but the podcasts give you prompts and music. Good stuff...!

The C25K program gives you two options -- a distance goal ***OR*** a time goal. The important thing to realize is that it's an "or", not an "and"! In other words, they're not telling you to run at a certain pace -- instead, you should focus either on running for a certain amount of time, or over a certain distance. Like others have said, increasing your pace comes over time (and, to my experience, it happens naturally -- so, unless you have really specific pace goals in mind (and you also have particular deadlines for meeting these goals), then I think you can just keep running, and watch (happily!) as your pace improves!)...
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    The podcast I use is the NHS Couch to 5K - Laura is your narrator and tells you when to walk and when to run. Gives you a pat on the back for a job well done too! It's a free download - if you google it you'll find it in mp3 format on the NHS website (it's a .uk address I think). Or you can get it on itunes....
  • amyrc12
    amyrc12 Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    Does anyone else use Nike+?
  • theresnoeggs
    theresnoeggs Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    If you google FREE C25K podcasts it will do the same thing for free!

I downloaded this chic Carli's 9 podcasts and it works, intro with tips, warm up, run for ____ , walk for ____, over and over until cool down, followed by a "Way to go, your doing great!" at the end. ALL free

and I was able to put them on my phone since I use that for my music usually. She has great body pumping music ranging from the late 80s, 90s and recent stuff!

In week 5, the ended song to the 20 minutes is Eye of the Tiger ROFL! Talk about motivation!